Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Winners Re-Re-Re-Re-Drawn - 24 hours to Claim!

Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Bottling/Kegging > Is Cold Crashing bad for bottling?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-22-2012, 11:16 PM   #1
HeavyKettleBrewing
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 18 Times on 16 Posts

Default Is Cold Crashing bad for bottling?

First time I attempted this but I cold crashed my recent batch to clear out the beer prior to bottling. I stuck my secondary in my chest freezer ferm chamber and set the controls to 48 degrees. Left it in for roughly 24 hrs. Racked to bottling bucket and primed during the whole transfer to evenly distribute the corn sugar (3/4 cup sugar dissolved in two cups bottled H20.) I let the bottling bucket sit for 2hrs to get to room temp, covered of course.

I don't know if I F'd it up or something else is amiss. I have virtually no carbonation. A little "tzzt" when I pry the caps off. I was heartbroken when It happened on the second bottle. I also cold conditioned for three weeks at around 55 degrees. I might not have thought the whole thing through. looking for suggestions before I go out and buy a corny so I can force carbonate. I am not dumping the batch as the flavor would be spot on with some fizzy to complement it.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-22-2012, 11:25 PM   #2
Cromacster
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 2

If its only been in the bottles for three weeks it might just need more time, especially if conditioning at that temperature.

Bottled: Strawberry Blonde Ale, Bourbon Barrel Porter, California Lager, Lakefront Fixed Gear, Surly Bender Clone

Old 01-22-2012, 11:34 PM   #3
day_trippr
Recipes 

Liked 1379 Times on 1114 Posts

48 degrees for 24 hours is hardly "cold-crashing" imo. More like "a little chilling". When I cold-crash I set the fridge to 34°F and the beer sits there for 3 to 4 days.

How long and at what temperature did you let the capped bottle sit before you stuck them in the fridge? If it was only for a week or so, I'd get the bottles warmed back up to around 70°F and let them sit for a couple of weeks, then pop one to see if they're ready for cold conditioning...

Cheers!

Old 01-22-2012, 11:42 PM   #4
tektonjp
Recipes 

Liked 64 Times on 44 Posts
Likes Given: 55

As day trippr mentions, I think you are mixing up terms here. When you bottle, the first thing to be done is to let the bottle carbonate, or go through fermentation again. Most here think that 70F for three weeks is about right to get the sugar consumed by the yeast and the consequent co2 into solution. Lower temps during this innitial phase means a lot more time to make the co2. Thus, no pzzt when you open. 55F could mean months to carbonate to taste.
After all the sugar has been consumed, then you want to lower the temp and help get some of that co2 pressure in the headspace back into the liquid. That's why it is suggested to chill 24 hours before sampling a bottle conditioned beer.
Put those bottles in a warmer place for a week, ten days, then chill one for a day, and see. You'll be surprised.

"Beer, well respected and rightly consumed, can be a gift of God. It is one of his mysteries, which it was his delight to conceal and the glory of kings to search out."

The Search for God and Guinness by Stephen Mansfield

Reason: add

Old 01-22-2012, 11:43 PM   #5
HeavyKettleBrewing
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by day_trippr View Post
48 degrees for 24 hours is hardly "cold-crashing" imo. More like "a little chilling". When I cold-crash I set the fridge to 34°F and the beer sits there for 3 to 4 days.

How long and at what temperature did you let the capped bottle sit before you stuck them in the fridge? If it was only for a week or so, I'd get the bottles warmed back up to around 70°F and let them sit for a couple of weeks, then pop one to see if they're ready for cold conditioning...

Cheers!
3 weeks at near 52-55 degrees in my chest freezer. Dial temp controller so it varies by a couple degrees. I went straight into the chest freezer after bottling. I am going to put them in a bin and store them in the house for two weeks. Hopefully the warmth will invigorate the yeasties!

Old 01-23-2012, 12:02 AM   #6
day_trippr
Recipes 

Liked 1379 Times on 1114 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by maddad View Post
3 weeks at near 52-55 degrees in my chest freezer. Dial temp controller so it varies by a couple degrees. I went straight into the chest freezer after bottling. I am going to put them in a bin and store them in the house for two weeks. Hopefully the warmth will invigorate the yeasties!
Ok, I think you have a good chance here. That's too cool for an ale yeast to work effectively, imo. Definitely warm it up and give it time for the yeastie beasties to do their thing...

Cheers!

Old 01-23-2012, 01:12 AM   #7
HeavyKettleBrewing
Recipes 

Just moved everything. I'll check it out in two weeks. Thanks for the input.

Quick Reply