Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Bottling/Kegging > Cold condition vs carbonation

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-04-2013, 06:29 PM   #1
2BeerOrNot2Beer
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Cold condition vs carbonation

Hey there everyone,

Would there be any benefit to letting a beer cold condition in the fridge for a week or 2 prior to attaching the co2? Or would carbonating it in the fridge from the start have the same effect, and just lead to a more quickly carbonated beer? Basically, does carbonation have any negative or delayed effect on the cold conditioning process?

Thanks,
Jake

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-04-2013, 06:37 PM   #2
tonyc318
Recipes 

Liked 34 Times on 27 Posts

Funny I just listened to a brew strong episode where JZ and Palmer both said they put their kegs in the fridge and carb at the same time. Now major effects to conditioning prior to carbing. I slowly cool my beer down in my fermentation chamber before racking it to the keg. That way it's already around fridge temp. Then I put it in and hook up the gas. A week later, good cold, carbed, beer. I don't care to wait an extra 2 weeks to cold condition it when that happens while its getting carbed.

Old 07-05-2013, 09:15 AM   #3
Hmmessman
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I always wondered if it made a difference. I was never able to find a definitive answer. So I just rack my beer into my keg and bleed off. Then I put it in the keezer overnight to chill and hook the gas up the next day at 10 psi. In two weeks I have delicious, perfectly carbed beer. I only make ales so I'm not sure if this will work for lagers.

Old 07-05-2013, 12:19 PM   #4
Hammy71
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 393 Times on 308 Posts
Likes Given: 599

It doesn't make a difference. I've done both. I routinely carbonate my beers while they are warm/conditioning.

Quick Reply