New Giveaway - Wort Monster Conical Fermenter!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Bottling/Kegging > Coffin cooling and other lessons I learned while building a keezer

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-21-2010, 02:36 AM   #11
shroomzofdoom
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by billtzk View Post
I'm using the fan in my keezer (conventional type with faucets mounted through the collar, no coffin), mounted on standoffs right in the middle of the lid, pointing down. It really moves the air in my keezer. But this is a far less tricky application than a coffin setup, from an airflow perspective. Still, I believe this fan would work really well in a coffin setup, especially if you push from one side and pull from the other. But it would be loud, unfortunately.
My fan is very loud too, at 12v it's rated at 56 dBA, it's quieter at 9v but not much. Clearly fan drone is a drawback. But, whatever keeps the beer cold.

My electric BCS-460 build (work in progress)

Coffin cooling lessons

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-21-2010, 04:23 AM   #12
billtzk
Recipes 

Liked 20 Times on 18 Posts

A Love controller like the TS-13010 could turn fans on and off as needed. That would eliminate noise when the fans were off and extend their life. But if the coffin won't stay cool for long, the fans will be on all the time anyway.

So has anyone tried using a small peltier cooler (thermoelectric) hooked up to a copper or aluminum plate in the coffin for the cold side and a finned and fanned heat sink on the outside of the coffin? It could be controlled with a Love.

Reality is a crutch for people who can't cope with drugs. -Lily Tomlin

Old 10-22-2010, 12:17 AM   #13
CrapulencePants
Recipes 

Has anyone tried something like this in a 4" pipe that draws from the bottom and blows into the coffin? It's 120v. Just curious.

I was think of something like that or perhaps the guts from a nice (but broken) bathroom exhaust fan.

Old 10-22-2010, 01:23 AM   #14
shroomzofdoom
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 9 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrapulencePants View Post
Has anyone tried something like this in a 4" pipe that draws from the bottom and blows into the coffin? It's 120v. Just curious.
These tend to be pretty loud, but they do seem to have what it takes to move air. I think they can be gotten at Home Depot; as long as you don't mess it up, it can always go back. If it's an easier fit or a better solutuion--go for it. But please be sure to report back!

Though I would be remiss if I didn't remind you that the Vantec Tornado moves the same amount of air, in a smaller package, is quieter, and cheaper--you can get two of them for $25: http://www.ultimatepccooling.com/vato80fan.html

Quote:
Originally Posted by billtzk View Post
A Love controller like the TS-13010 could turn fans on and off as needed. That would eliminate noise when the fans were off and extend their life. But if the coffin won't stay cool for long, the fans will be on all the time anyway.
I borrowed this really sweet adustable power supply last week and was toying with all kinds of fan speeds and timed on/off cycles. For me, any time the fan wasn't on, I'd get stratification and dead air spaces. The coffin itself is a cold sink, even with a good layer of insulation--it's the weakest link in our design.

If the fan is cycling on and off then the in-coffin temps are varying, then the compressor needs to work that much harder on the next cycle.

With the fan on full time, the compressor goes through more cycles but they are shorter in duration. Then there's always the cost of another Love controller One of those and I am halfway to a new fermentation cab

The noise is there, and I work all day about 10 feet from it...it's tolerable.

Coffin cooling lessons

Old 10-22-2010, 04:13 PM   #15
specialized
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

so shroomz, do you still have that copper? Willing to part with it for someone else to try their hands with it. I'll be certain to share my results.

Old 10-22-2010, 05:53 PM   #16
shroomzofdoom
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 9 Posts

Absolutely. I have a 3 foot length or so of 1/2" and probably even a few pieces of the fiber pipe wrap. PM me if you want to try it out...

Coffin cooling lessons

Old 11-01-2010, 07:10 PM   #17
shroomzofdoom
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 9 Posts

Soo...specialized...Any updates on your copper attempt? Inquiring minds want to know?

Coffin cooling lessons

Old 11-02-2010, 01:00 AM   #18
specialized
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Unfortunately, I haven't gotten around to completing the keezer yet. I've got all the framing done. Next I have to build a new lid/coffin and then I can begin fiddling with the copper. Unfortunately I don't have much time lately and this project is getting drawn out. I will post updates as they come though.

Old 11-02-2010, 01:32 AM   #19
lotbfan
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 13 Times on 11 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I dont have a coffin to cool, but in my other hobby (reef tanks) IceCap makes a line of nearly silent high cfm fans that run on dc. they come in 3 and 4 inch models and run 45-60 bucks on sale from various e-tailers. These are specifically designed to work in wet/humid environments and mine have survived years and years of working in salty, corroded areas without a hitch.

I know the price is sort of high, but If you replace a 20 dollar fan every year, these pay for themselves pretty fast. They have a variable speed temp. sensor, but this is for high end temp switching, so it would be counterproductive in keezer applications... I would just hang it outside.

Not sure on linking rules for other-than-brewing retailers, so just google IceCap fan if you want to read more...

**EDIT** looks like they have been discontinued, but there are a lot for sale at close out prices now.

Last edited by lotbfan; 11-02-2010 at 01:37 AM.

Old 11-03-2010, 11:10 PM   #20
birvine
Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 4

I completed my kegerator with a coffin box a few weeks ago. I chose the 'simpler' method to start which was to encase the beer lines in copper right from the shanks and then down into the fridge about 10". I wrapped the joints with foil tape (so I could remove the whole setup if it doesn't work), then wrapped the copper with foam which I duct-taped in its entirety. To this point, I have drained a keg and a half and all seems well. The taps are cool to the touch though not cold, and foaming is not an issue. My kegerator is in the furnace room so it is not cool in there.

In conclusion, to this point I am not in need of a cooling fan.

B

Quick Reply