Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Bottling/Kegging > CO2 Tanks Size Recommendation?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-08-2013, 09:12 PM   #11
Hammy71
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 388 Times on 303 Posts
Likes Given: 584

I refuse to swap. I don't want some rusty steel tank for my aluminum darlings.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-08-2013, 11:07 PM   #12
mikescooling
Recipes 

Liked 202 Times on 154 Posts
Likes Given: 182

I don't think I've ever been to a place that fills co2. HVAC Supply houses only swap. Some of the steel tanks have been in service over a hundred years, you can see all the hydro stamps on the neck and foot. I could see how people would like "new and shinny" but for me, it's just another tank. Next time I go in to Airgas, I may trade up sizes or down, or for another gas like beer gas or C25. I understand that many would not want a nasty old tank in their clean house, but my house is not that clean. A nasty old tank fits my Ambiance, makes the statment "this guy likes beer and guns and girls that are a little crazy". Do not mix any of those things.

Old 03-09-2013, 12:31 AM   #13
dazed
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 4

At least you won't get no Alzheimer's from steel...I got my tetanus shot though....

Old 03-09-2013, 12:21 PM   #14
mjdonnelly68
Always drinking - never drunk.
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 139 Times on 102 Posts
Likes Given: 171

20lb - minimum.

"I feel sorry for people who don't drink because when they get up in the morning, that's as good as they're gonna feel all day" - Francis Albert Sinatra

Old 03-09-2013, 12:54 PM   #15
zachattack
Recipes 

Liked 229 Times on 197 Posts
Likes Given: 119

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikescooling View Post
I understand that many would not want a nasty old tank in their clean house, but my house is not that clean. A nasty old tank fits my Ambiance, makes the statment "this guy likes beer and guns and girls that are a little crazy".
In general I'd agree, but if beer or another liquid backs up into a steel tank (which can certainly happen under the right conditions) it'll rust and lead to some funky off flavors. Actual "food grade" CO2 cylinders are supposedly glass-lined to prevent this. For me, I'll stick to my new shiny aluminum tank, who knows what's happened inside the old rusty steel one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dazed View Post
At least you won't get no Alzheimer's from steel...I got my tetanus shot though....
The "aluminum causes Alzheimer's" myth has been busted long ago.

Old 03-09-2013, 03:05 PM   #16
beaksnbeer
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 485 Times on 323 Posts
Likes Given: 67

[QUOTE=zachattack;4988245] For me, I'll stick to my new shiny aluminum tank, who knows what's happened inside the old rusty steel one.

Or what has gone on inside your "new" tank for that matter. Plenty of people have bought brand new Regulators only to find that they were not cleaned. The weld shop I use says most aluminum tanks come out of China or South America, so who knows really inside any tank. But these guys come over to drink at my place so they know where it's going (they also breakdown the tanks and valves for certification)

Old 03-09-2013, 04:11 PM   #17
mikescooling
Recipes 

Liked 202 Times on 154 Posts
Likes Given: 182

Quote:
Originally Posted by zachattack View Post
In general I'd agree, but if beer or another liquid backs up into a steel tank (which can certainly happen under the right conditions) it'll rust and lead to some funky off flavors. Actual "food grade" CO2 cylinders are supposedly glass-lined to prevent this. For me, I'll stick to my new shiny aluminum tank, who knows what's happened inside the old rusty steel one.

The "aluminum causes Alzheimer's" myth has been busted long ago.
I had no idea a co2 tank could be glass-lined. Can you give me more information on this? Link?

Old 03-09-2013, 04:19 PM   #18
zachattack
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikescooling View Post
I had no idea a co2 tank could be glass-lined. Can you give me more information on this? Link?
Unfortunately no. Everything I've read about it has been on forums, I have nothing solid! The whole "food grade vs. non food grade" CO2 debate seems to be completely anecdotal. I can't find any hard evidence one way or another, and I can't find anyone selling glass-lined tanks. The only place is mentioned is when people talk about "food grade" CO2.

Old 03-09-2013, 04:20 PM   #19
zachattack
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by beaksnbeer View Post
Or what has gone on inside your "new" tank for that matter. Plenty of people have bought brand new Regulators only to find that they were not cleaned. The weld shop I use says most aluminum tanks come out of China or South America, so who knows really inside any tank. But these guys come over to drink at my place so they know where it's going (they also breakdown the tanks and valves for certification)
That's true. The number of new regulators that don't work due to crap in the diaphragm is pretty astounding, judging by all the "help my new regulator doesn't regulate" posts.

Quick Reply