Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Bottling/Kegging > CO2 Tank Safety

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-08-2005, 05:51 PM   #1
Darth Konvel
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default CO2 Tank Safety

Well, I'm on the verge of starting to keg (have all my equipment and kegs should be delivered today), and while looking for places to fill my CO2 tank I got to thinking maybe I should take some safety measures while transporting the tank in my car.

To those who have been kegging, how exactly do you transport your CO2 cylinder? Do you just throw it in the backseat / trunk? Do you attach your regulator to it ASAP?

The more I think about it the more paranoid I am about driving around with an 800 psi tank of CO2 in my car

edit: For example, I'm currently at work with my (empty) CO2 cylinder out in the car. I don't have any other equipment with me. Would it be safe for me to go get it filled during my lunch break and leave it in the car, as the weather has cooled down around here? Is it okay for the tank to sit on it's side?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-08-2005, 06:05 PM   #2
justbrewit
Zythos Conisseur
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

why not just bring it inside with you to make sure. then if any one asks what its for... theres your chance to bring your hobby to another!!

2.5 gal cantalope mead
5.5 gal coconut milk mead

Old 11-08-2005, 06:05 PM   #3
david_42

Recipes 

Liked 139 Times on 132 Posts

I would put the filled bottle either in the trunk or on the floor in the back seat. Laying it on it's side isn't a problem. Generally, I leave the regulator at home, but if I need it, I'll detach it from the tank. This is more to protect the regulator than anything.

Leave a window cracked if you put the bottle inside of the car and cover it so the sun can't shine on it. Anything under 125F is safe (pressure under 2000 psi).

Remember one unassailable statistic, as explained by the late, great George Carlin: "Just think of how stupid the average person is, and then realize half of them are even stupider!"

"I would like to die on Mars, just not on impact." Elon Musk

Old 11-08-2005, 06:07 PM   #4
2nd Street Brewery

Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Just starting kegging myself but I've handled tanks working in bars before. As long as it isn't rolling around loose you should be ok. I'm assuming it's been tested and all. The tank itself is very sturdy obviously and unless something happens to knock off the valve itself your ok.If the valve were to just open all you would do is loose the CO2

It is better to remain silent and be thought a fool, then to speak and remove all doubt.

Old 11-08-2005, 06:13 PM   #5
Darth Konvel

Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2nd Street Brewery
Just starting kegging myself but I've handled tanks working in bars before. As long as it isn't rolling around loose you should be ok. I'm assuming it's been tested and all. The tank itself is very sturdy obviously and unless something happens to knock off the valve itself your ok.If the valve were to just open all you would do is loose the CO2
My biggest concern is that it will crack open somehow as I'm sure fates would conspire to have something bump the knob on the top. I take it that if the valve opens just a little that it's not going to explode or some crazy business?

edit: regarding testing, I haven't had it tested, but if I'm reading the markings on it correctly it was manufactured less then a year ago which I hope means it's safe to use.

Old 11-08-2005, 06:23 PM   #6
Baron von BeeGee
Beer Bully

Recipes 

Liked 17 Times on 16 Posts

I think you're fine (but don't quote me!). People with nitrous installed in their cars are running 900-1100psi and intentionally heating their bottles before use...not sure how much different a CO2 bottle/regulator is, but I'd think they're pretty similar.

Old 11-08-2005, 06:41 PM   #7
2nd Street Brewery

Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

If it wasn't within 5 years of the date stamped they wouldn't fill it with out sending it out to be hydrotested so you're ok.

It is better to remain silent and be thought a fool, then to speak and remove all doubt.

Old 11-09-2005, 12:00 AM   #8
Dude
Will work for beer

Recipes 

Liked 58 Times on 48 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Just don't let it jump around too much and it will be fine.
If anyone is worried about it blowing up in a hot environment, some interesting info is HERE from a HIGHLY knowledgeable and trusted member of the jeeping community. This guy is the Greg Noonan of jeeping, so I trust everything he has to say.

Cliff notes:

A properly filled CO2 tank can be half buried in the Mojave desert, all summer long, without any chance of it venting. It is not until the tank is overfilled AND ambient temperature is high that the recipe for a blowout is cooked up.

Up Next: Smoked Porter -- Pub Ale -- Watermelon Wheat
Planning:
Gone But Not Forgotten:

www.IronOrrBrewery.com

Old 11-09-2005, 02:11 AM   #9
david_42

Recipes 

Liked 139 Times on 132 Posts

I might add that the safety valve blows at 3000 PSI. This is long before the tank would fail. If it happened when you were in the car, roll down a window, pull over to the side & clean out shorts

Remember one unassailable statistic, as explained by the late, great George Carlin: "Just think of how stupid the average person is, and then realize half of them are even stupider!"

"I would like to die on Mars, just not on impact." Elon Musk

Old 11-09-2005, 03:36 AM   #10
Eskram
Recipes 

I realize these are different gasses, bottles, etc, but here's what can happen if a pressurized gas bottle blows up in your car.

http://www.enhancedhealth.com/nitrousexpress.htm

Primary:
American Brown Ale
Secondary 1:
Sam Adams clone
Secondary 2:
Empty
Secondary 3: Empty

Bottled: Pilsner, Pale Ale III, Oktoberfest
Next up: ?

Quick Reply