The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Bottling/Kegging > CO2 Tank outside Kegerator

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-08-2012, 01:05 AM   #1
yusupov
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default CO2 Tank outside Kegerator

I decided to move my C02 tank outside of my Kegerator for a few reasons...

1) So the regulator is easy to access and reads correctly
2) More space in Kegerator
3) I can use a 20lb CO2 tank

Here is how I did it....

1. a)1 inch diameter metal-hole-saw
b) Plastic fittings (male and female), 1 inch OD, 3/4 inch ID
c) Two washers, 1 inch ID

2. Make hole in side of fridge, be careful not to cut coolant lines (I started with a small hole and cautiously poked around until I was sure I wasn't going to hit anything).

3. Connect fittings, washer and plastic fitting on each side.

4. Filled in gaps with spray-in insulation (I love this stuff).

5. Put gas line though.

6. Finished! A look at the outside (Very tidy compared to my usual work!)

numbered-photos.jpg  

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-08-2012, 12:14 PM   #2
mh-brews
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 3

look good. is there any air leakage around the gas line ?

find us on face book MH-BREWS

Old 11-08-2012, 06:46 PM   #3
yusupov
Recipes 

Nope, I filled around the gas line with the spray-in insulation.

Old 11-08-2012, 08:30 PM   #4
JPHussey
Recipes 

A very timely post as I am considering doing this to mine. Are you only running one keg in there right now? Or splitting that one line to two kegs at the same pressure?

I have a dual-body regulator and I definitely want to move the regulator outside as well as the CO2 tank. I assume I could just do what you've done here but with two holes?

Did you have to worry about coolant lines? Do they run in the sides of mini-fridges? I know I had to be very careful when carving out the insulation and drilling holes in the top of mine to install the shaft.

Old 11-09-2012, 12:46 AM   #5
day_trippr
Recipes 

Liked 970 Times on 793 Posts

Fwiw, I used 3" stainless nipples with 1/4" male flare ends. Very small hole required in the fridge wall. The nipples came with nuts, washers and rubber gaskets so they are self-sealing, and accept the standard swivel nut and barb for gas lines...

Cheers!

Old 11-09-2012, 04:43 AM   #6
yusupov
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPHussey
A very timely post as I am considering doing this to mine. Are you only running one keg in there right now? Or splitting that one line to two kegs at the same pressure?

I have a dual-body regulator and I definitely want to move the regulator outside as well as the CO2 tank. I assume I could just do what you've done here but with two holes?

Did you have to worry about coolant lines? Do they run in the sides of mini-fridges? I know I had to be very careful when carving out the insulation and drilling holes in the top of mine to install the shaft.
I just have the one keg in there. i can't think of a better way than what you said ( putting two holes in the wall)for your dual-body regulator. Especially since you would want to be able to control the pressure of each keg separately.

I have an old Sanyo mini-fridge, and I don't think there are any coolant lines in the side walls. But I was uber careful anyway because I would be so pissed if I ruined my kegerator (I really love it).

Old 11-09-2012, 04:46 AM   #7
yusupov
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by day_trippr View Post
Fwiw, I used 3" stainless nipples with 1/4" male flare ends. Very small hole required in the fridge wall. The nipples came with nuts, washers and rubber gaskets so they are self-sealing, and accept the standard swivel nut and barb for gas lines...
That is slicker!, the way I have done it means my regulator and lines are stuck there. But in my case I don't plan on moving it.

Old 11-09-2012, 04:54 AM   #8
Golddiggie
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 472 Times on 417 Posts
Likes Given: 266

I use these to pass CO2 from my regulator (also outside the brew fridge, on a 20# tank) to the manifolds inside the brew fridge. Small holes needed, no spary insulation needed, no additional fittings needed. Plus, it's easy to disconnect the gas lines when needed (like during a move). You can also, usually, get them from a LHBS.

With the MFL bulkhead, you can also opt to adapt it to ball lock posts.

跟猴子比丟屎 ・ Gun HOE-tze bee DIO-se

On Tap: Caramel Ale, Mocha Porter II, MO SMaSH IPA
Waiting/Carbonating: 12.5% Wee Honey II, 8.9% Old Ale, English Brown Ale, Lickah ESB, Mocha Porter II
Fermenting
K1:
K2: Epic mead
K3: TripSix
On Deck: Caramel Ale
Aging:mead
Mead [bottled]:Oaked Wildflower Traditional, Mocha Madness, Blackberry Melomel, maple wine

Old 11-09-2012, 05:59 AM   #9
day_trippr
Recipes 

Liked 970 Times on 793 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Golddiggie View Post
I use these to pass CO2 from my regulator (also outside the brew fridge, on a 20# tank) to the manifolds inside the brew fridge. [...]
That is precisely the feed-through I was referring to (I thought they were 3" long). Easy to install and works great. I put one on both of my brewery fridges, through the back wall in the top-left corner of the fridge compartment...

Cheers!

Old 11-09-2012, 06:05 AM   #10
Golddiggie
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 472 Times on 417 Posts
Likes Given: 266

Quote:
Originally Posted by day_trippr View Post
That is precisely the feed-through I was referring to (I thought they were 3" long). Easy to install and works great. I put one on both of my brewery fridges, through the back wall in the top-left corner of the fridge compartment...

Cheers!
I have a pair feeding manifolds inside my brew fridge (a two and three port manifold) off my dual body regulator. I moved towards the end of September and it was damned easy to just disconnect the gasl lines from them. Movers had the fridge out and in the truck without issue.

I'd have to check, but I think I used either a 9/16" or 7/16" drill bit to make the hole for the fitting to go through. I just put the dial caliper on one of them to see what it's max diameter was (sans the nuts and washers). Made the hole that size and it's golden.

跟猴子比丟屎 ・ Gun HOE-tze bee DIO-se

On Tap: Caramel Ale, Mocha Porter II, MO SMaSH IPA
Waiting/Carbonating: 12.5% Wee Honey II, 8.9% Old Ale, English Brown Ale, Lickah ESB, Mocha Porter II
Fermenting
K1:
K2: Epic mead
K3: TripSix
On Deck: Caramel Ale
Aging:mead
Mead [bottled]:Oaked Wildflower Traditional, Mocha Madness, Blackberry Melomel, maple wine

Quick Reply