New Giveaway - Wort Monster Conical Fermenter!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Bottling/Kegging > CO2 tank inside or outside of kegerator?




Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-02-2011, 02:54 AM   #1
dawgmatic
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Milwaukee, WI
Posts: 540
Liked 32 Times on 31 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Default CO2 tank inside or outside of kegerator?

Thanks to our recent black Friday sales I'm pleased to announce that I will no longer be bending over for 2 hours at a time dealing with bottles and bottles and more bottles. I already have the fridge that I'm going to convert and I'm going to be installing the faucets soon. But I'm not sure as to whether or not I should drill a hole for a line from the CO2 tank. I remembered reading something about this awhile ago, but I can't remember for sure.

So my question is...
Does the temperature of your CO2 tank impact the life of the contents inside?
does a cold tank empty out faster, or vice versa. Or is the temperature of your tank completely irrelevant?

I greatly appreciate your input



__________________

Quote:
Originally Posted by Revvy View Post
People's brains are interesting....and tasty too.

(See what I did tthere? ;))
dawgmatic is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-02-2011, 03:14 AM   #2
day_trippr
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Stow, MA
Posts: 8,386
Liked 808 Times on 672 Posts

Default

I vote "completely irrelevant".

That said, I prefer keeping my regulators out of cold damp places, so my tanks and regs are outside of the keezer and fridges...

Cheers!



__________________
day_trippr is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-02-2011, 03:22 AM   #3
gnef
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Posts: 749
Liked 2 Times on 1 Posts

Default

I definitely prefer keeping the tank and regulator outside. This frees up space, and you also don't need to open up the refrigerator (or walk-in in my case) to check the pressure or change out the tank.

Also, I have had issues in the past with moisture getting into the low pressure gauges, and causing them to rust and stop showing the correct pressure.

If you go through the wall of the fridge, I would use some sort of bulkhead, and not just push tubing through a hole that you make. This will be a better seal and should be more energy efficient.

__________________

Walk-In Serving(14): Oatmeal Stout, Hard Cider, Belgian Tripel, Liquid Stupid, Belgian Dark Strong, Red Bull, Rye IPA, Double IPA, Imperial Stout, Irish Red, Scottish 70/-, Belgian Wit, Nut Brown, Traditional Mead
Walk-In Cold Storage(~50): Cysers, Braggot, Melomels, Ciders, Traditional Meads, Persimmon wines, Dry Stout, barleywine, cream ale, sodas, Chocolate stout, milk stout, and others I can't recall.
Fermenters (0): Nothing current.

gnef is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-02-2011, 04:51 AM   #4
boogyman
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Folsom, CA
Posts: 402
Default

This debate comes up every so often, so i'll recap the bullet points for you.

inside kegerator:
pros

  • "cleaner" look
cons
  • takes up space that could potentially fit another keg
  • some people say that the tank could potentially "rust" from condensation in the frigde.. but with the newer stainless tanks, that's not really an issue

outside kegerator:
pros
  • tank pressure gauge (if you have one) will be more accurate
  • leaves room for more kegs in kegerator
cons
  • not as clean look (extra lines running to kegerator)
  • have to drill extra hole into kegerator

If you keep the tank in the kegerator, the pressure gauges will probably read low -- the pressure coming out is still the same, but due to pvnrt the gauges won't read accurately

All that said, i keep my tank outside the kegerator.
__________________
boogyman is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-02-2011, 05:06 AM   #5
Weizenwerks
Registered User
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: , Midwest
Posts: 337
Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Default

I built an enclosure around my kegerator that conceals the tank, so it's a clean look. Also have an insulated cubby built in that uses the cool air in the kegerator to keep serving glasses cool.

__________________
Weizenwerks is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-02-2011, 05:08 AM   #6
dawgmatic
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Milwaukee, WI
Posts: 540
Liked 32 Times on 31 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Default

Thanks for the responses. The pros of putting it outside definitely seem to outweigh those of putting it inside, I'm not that superficial when it come to the looks of my brew setup anyway

__________________

Quote:
Originally Posted by Revvy View Post
People's brains are interesting....and tasty too.

(See what I did tthere? ;))
dawgmatic is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-02-2011, 05:46 AM   #7
GTO_Guy
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Rosharon, TX
Posts: 90
Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Default

I just moved mine outside since i will be adding Nitrogen and the 2 tanks would not both fit inside. I really liked having mine inside as long as I did but now i have 4 kegs and it was just too tight.

__________________
GTO_Guy is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-02-2011, 01:16 PM   #8
turkeyjerky214
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: St. Louis, MO
Posts: 393
Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Default

Right now, my 5# tank is inside, but when I add a 6th (and possibly 7th) tap next year, I'll need the extra space. Luckily, my keezer is right next to a wall that separates the finished and unfinished parts of my basement which means a small hole at the floor in the corner and I can keep the CO2 tank on the unfinished side.

__________________

-Brian

Tap 1: Flanders Brown Tap 2: Pumpkin Ale Tap 3: Rye IPA Tap 4: Wee Heavy Tap 5: Apfelwein

Fermenting: Amber Ale
Kegged: Barrel-Aged Barleywine, Barleywine, RIS,

Lagering: Märzen

turkeyjerky214 is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-02-2011, 01:27 PM   #9
BrewThruYou
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Ambler
Posts: 1,686
Liked 35 Times on 32 Posts
Likes Given: 16

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by boogyman View Post
This debate comes up every so often, so i'll recap the bullet points for you.

inside kegerator:
pros
  • "cleaner" look
cons
  • takes up space that could potentially fit another keg
  • some people say that the tank could potentially "rust" from condensation in the frigde.. but with the newer stainless tanks, that's not really an issue
The newer co2 tanks are aluminum and not steel and they do not rust. In my searches, I haven't seen a new stainless co2 tank.

Quote:
Originally Posted by boogyman View Post
outside kegerator:
pros
  • tank pressure gauge (if you have one) will be more accurate
  • leaves room for more kegs in kegerator
cons
  • not as clean look (extra lines running to kegerator)
  • have to drill extra hole into kegerator
I would add that you need extra parts if you want to seal off that hole you drilled. Or if you want it to look like crap, you could spray foam it or something. You just don't want cold air escaping through the hole.

Also, if you leaving in next to the kegerator, I would invest in some kind of strap/bracket to keep it upright. Think about where the thing is - if you have kids or intoxicated people milling about, they could knock it over and potentially destroy your regulator.

I think drilling the kegerator is the biggest con for me. The sides are pretty much wrapped in coils and I super carefully drilled the top for a two-tap tower after pulling out all the insulation foam. Since I don't mess with the psi settings inside my two tap kegerator, there's no advantage for me to keep it outside for adjustment purposes.
__________________
BrewThruYou is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-02-2011, 01:44 PM   #10
dawgmatic
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Milwaukee, WI
Posts: 540
Liked 32 Times on 31 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrewThruYou View Post
I would add that you need extra parts if you want to seal off that hole you drilled. Or if you want it to look like crap, you could spray foam it or something. You just don't want cold air escaping through the hole.
This one was assumed in the first place

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrewThruYou View Post
Also, if you leaving in next to the kegerator, I would invest in some kind of strap/bracket to keep it upright. Think about where the thing is - if you have kids or intoxicated people milling about, they could knock it over and potentially destroy your regulator.
Too young to have children in my house, also my roommates leave my brew room alone for the most part. They're scared that I'll murder them if they do.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrewThruYou View Post
I think drilling the kegerator is the biggest con for me. The sides are pretty much wrapped in coils and I super carefully drilled the top for a two-tap tower after pulling out all the insulation foam. Since I don't mess with the psi settings inside my two tap kegerator, there's no advantage for me to keep it outside for adjustment purposes.
I was actually able to find the schematics for my old fridge online and there won't be any problems with drilling through the side that I'm planning on.


__________________

Quote:
Originally Posted by Revvy View Post
People's brains are interesting....and tasty too.

(See what I did tthere? ;))
dawgmatic is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Reply


Quick Reply
Message:
Options
Thread Tools
Display Modes


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Converting a fridge to a kegerator. CO2 tank on the inside or out? jcole Bottling/Kegging 19 11-12-2012 04:41 PM
co2 tank inside or outside? pretzelb Bottling/Kegging 7 09-29-2010 07:45 PM
How do I check the quality of a used co2 tank? ($5 co2 tank offer inside) MBasile Bottling/Kegging 10 09-15-2009 03:09 PM
CO2 Tank inside or outside kegerator? smashed4 Bottling/Kegging 15 11-01-2008 12:23 AM
CO2 Tank Inside or Outside the Kegerator? Brewlicious Bottling/Kegging 11 04-01-2008 08:34 PM