Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Bottling/Kegging > CO2 tank in Fridge: Pressure reading

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-15-2010, 12:03 PM   #1
Dave46382
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Default CO2 tank in Fridge: Pressure reading

Just got my 20 pound CO2 tank filled. Made note of the position of the regulator gauge that 'supposedly' tells me how full my tank is.

Would taking the CO2 tank from room temp to 35-38 degrees F cause the gauge to read lower?

I have been on the hunt for a leak and can't find one. But the gauge looks like it's dropped since I put it in the fridge last night.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-15-2010, 12:12 PM   #2
beerthirty
big beers turn my gears
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 25 Times on 12 Posts

the easy way to determine if you have a slow leak is to remove gas in QCs from the kegs, pressureize the system the turn off the gas at the tank. Periodically note the pressures of you gauges. with nowhere to go the pressure readings should not change over any amount of time. if the pressure drops it time to locate the leak. soapy water, strong starsan solution, or commercialy available leak detection sprays will find it. I prefer star san because you don't need to worry about cleaning the residue off as much as the other choices.

primary- Tangerine Dream, SWMBO slayer,
serving- amber ale hop experiment #6, Roggenbier, apfelwine
planning- Cru?
conditioning- 9/9/09 barleywine
Drink water?... Never, fish fornicate in it.--- W.C. Fields
Most problems can be solved with the proper application of force.

Old 04-15-2010, 12:44 PM   #3
bctdi
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 2

yes pressure will drop with tempurature....it`s normal...inversely if the bottle was at 100 deg.f the pressure would increase.I keep mine out of the fridge and drilled holes in the side for the lines to save space.Someone told me once that keeping the regulator in the cold was not good for it....but I don`t know if there`s any truth to that....I just erred on the side of caution cause I want my regulator to last as long as possible.

Old 04-15-2010, 12:48 PM   #4
SweetSounds
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 18 Times on 17 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Pressure in the tank will indicate lower as the temperature of the tank drops. Mine usually read around 600 PSI at room temp and maybe a little over 400 in the keezer. It's nothing to worry about, and the same volume of gas is in the bottle. 450 PSI is still far more than the 10-14 you'll use to serve, and it'll last just as long as a tank at room temp.

RDWHAHB

Put some duct tape over the gauge - Or better yet - Replace the high pressure gauge with a plug - High pressure gauges are useless!

Old 04-15-2010, 04:45 PM   #5
Dave46382
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Thanks!

Old 11-14-2010, 01:06 PM   #6
doubleb
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

my tank is reading is 750 at room temp and now its right on the line between red and white which is 400 at 40 degrees F on my regulator. Its a 5lb tank. Should I be looking for leaks or just keep an eye on it?

BTW, this is my first kegged batch thanks for any help and thank you HBT.

Kegged:Brown Ale
Bottled:

Old 11-17-2010, 12:27 AM   #7
Screw991le
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by beerthirty View Post
the easy way to determine if you have a slow leak is to remove gas in QCs from the kegs, pressureize the system the turn off the gas at the tank. Periodically note the pressures of you gauges. with nowhere to go the pressure readings should not change over any amount of time. if the pressure drops it time to locate the leak. soapy water, strong starsan solution, or commercialy available leak detection sprays will find it. I prefer star san because you don't need to worry about cleaning the residue off as much as the other choices.
That is what I do. I unscrew the co2's know so none of the kids fool with it, but I keep the gauge "charged" to see if there are any leaks while I store the tanks.

Old 06-02-2012, 10:21 PM   #8
kman42
Recipes 

Why would you remove the QDs from the kegs? Wouldn't you want to know if the kegs have leaks? That's almost always where my leaks are.

Old 06-02-2012, 10:28 PM   #9
johnsma22

Recipes 

Liked 32 Times on 26 Posts

I started to post my patented response to the pressure/temp question that comes up every once and a while, then I noticed this thread was 2 years old!

Here it is for your viewing pleasure anyway, LOL!

CO2 in a liquid/vapor state has a direct pressure/temperature relationship, as can be seen in the chart below. The pressure will stay the same, at a given temperature, until all the liquid has been vaporized. Once only vapor exists, the pressure in the tank will drop rapidly. The only way to know for sure how much liquid CO2 is left in the tank is to weigh the tank, and subtract the tare weight that's stamped on the side of the tank.

Old 06-02-2012, 10:43 PM   #10
kman42
Recipes 

Funny. I saw your answer in another thread when searching.

Quick Reply