Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Bottling/Kegging > co2 tank

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-08-2007, 01:24 AM   #1
dougbo
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default co2 tank

Obviously, it would be easier to carb my beer if I kept the CO2 tank outside the fridge (wouldn't have to open the fridge so much.) It's also obvious that you can have more beer in the fridge if you don't have the CO2 taking up space. However, does the CO2 last longer if kept inside? What are the advantages or disadvantages? Thanks.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-08-2007, 01:31 AM   #2
MA_Brewer

Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

I used to keep the CO2 in the fridge, but, as you say, it takes up too much space. I moved it out to save room. Now in my fridge I can fit 4 corny's (or 1/6th barrels)The CO2 won't last longer inside the fridge, so that is not a concern.

Old 02-08-2007, 05:40 AM   #3
Flyin' Lion

Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 7 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by dougbo
Obviously, it would be easier to carb my beer if I kept the CO2 tank outside the fridge (wouldn't have to open the fridge so much.) It's also obvious that you can have more beer in the fridge if you don't have the CO2 taking up space. However, does the CO2 last longer if kept inside? What are the advantages or disadvantages? Thanks.
Where you keep your CO2 should have no effect on how long it lasts. For the record I keep mine outside of my 'fridge also.

Old 02-08-2007, 05:56 AM   #4
gnef
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 1 Posts

i keep my co2 outside of the kegerator as well (partly because a 50 lb co2 tank doesn't fit in a regular fridge very well...).

only this is to be careful if drilling through a side that has coolant lines going through it. you puncture one line just a tiny bit, and you've destroyed your fridge/freezer.

i ran my bulkhead through the door of the fridge/kegerator for this reason.

Walk-In Serving(14): Oatmeal Stout, Hard Cider, Belgian Tripel, Liquid Stupid, Belgian Dark Strong, Red Bull, Rye IPA, Double IPA, Imperial Stout, Irish Red, Scottish 70/-, Belgian Wit, Nut Brown, Traditional Mead
Walk-In Cold Storage(~50): Cysers, Braggot, Melomels, Ciders, Traditional Meads, Persimmon wines, Dry Stout, barleywine, cream ale, sodas, Chocolate stout, milk stout, and others I can't recall.
Fermenters (0): Nothing current.

Old 02-08-2007, 01:43 PM   #5
david_42

Recipes 

Liked 135 Times on 128 Posts

I moved mine out of the fridge, mainly to make it easier to exchange and use with other kegs. It was stuck in the back and I had to empty the kegger to trade it out. When I moved it outside, I added a shutoff to prevent leaks when I need the tank elsewhere. Having it outside also makes it easier to check the amount of gas left.

But, now I find myself thinking I MIGHT be able to cram a fifth keg in.

Remember one unassailable statistic, as explained by the late, great George Carlin: "Just think of how stupid the average person is, and then realize half of them are even stupider!"

"I would like to die on Mars, just not on impact." Elon Musk

Old 02-08-2007, 01:49 PM   #6
Ol' Grog
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

It's obviously proportional to the size of the 'fridge. For those of us that use the 4912, I think two cornies is the max you can get in there, CO2 tank or not. Then there is the problem of drilling and running into a coolant line.

Old 02-09-2007, 03:18 AM   #7
aekdbbop

Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 7 Posts

i have the 4912... and my co2 in the fridge.. it works great and keeps a nice clean look to my keggerator.. if you can fit it in, i'd say get it out of the way...

Quick Reply