Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Bottling/Kegging > Co2 T split = foam?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-06-2013, 04:08 PM   #1
Laoz
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Co2 T split = foam?

Balanced my kegerator to nice results (5 ft beer line, copper tube covering line in tower, 45 degrees at second pour and 12 psi). Seemed all good. Recently I split my co2 line with a plastic T split to get a second keg carbing, planning on getting a dual tap at some point. Now I'm getting a lot of foam for the first 12oz or so. Can't figure why. The regulator is reading 12psi at the same setting as before the split even though it is going to two kegs. Not clear on why. Thought I might have need to crank it up to maintain the pressure. The pour seems the same speed as before, fast but not unreasonable. Any insights would be appreciated. Trying to avoid buying a second regulator.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-06-2013, 04:41 PM   #2
JRems
Recipes 

Liked 58 Times on 50 Posts
Likes Given: 9

The T split has nothing to do with it. I would look at a temperature change. If you went from one to two kegs the extra thermal mass might be changing the static temp of the fridge. If it's staying colder, you are getting more volumes of co2 even though the co2 is at the same pressure.

Old 04-06-2013, 04:52 PM   #3
Laoz
Recipes 

Hmmmmmm. Very interesting. I'll do some testing. Thx

Old 04-06-2013, 05:02 PM   #4
Laoz
Recipes 

A second pour is reading just under 40 so the second keg seems to be dropping the temp 5 degrees. According the force carb chart I'm using 12 psi should still put the carbonation at a reasonable level.

Old 04-07-2013, 10:06 PM   #5
JRems
Recipes 

I would drop it to 10 psi and try again. Most use 10ft beer lines to reduce foaming.

Old 04-08-2013, 04:02 PM   #6
JDGator
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 59 Times on 47 Posts
Likes Given: 8

i'd drop it down to 3-4PSI and see if you have foam. maybe it's just overcarbed

Old 04-08-2013, 08:55 PM   #7
Laoz
Recipes 

Things were working well at five feet which is what some calculations were suggesting (just over 6 really) and what my local brew shop said. Might try 10 tho. Thx. Noticed a space of air in the beer line by the connect. Might be the issue. What would cause that? Just moved to a new keg of brew and got a nice pour. Not as much head as I would have thought for a week at 12 psi but well carbed.

Old 04-08-2013, 08:56 PM   #8
Laoz
Recipes 

On a side note, loving this hobby but lots to learn. Really appreciate the help.

Old 04-10-2013, 05:05 AM   #9
JRems
Recipes 

If you have co2 breaking out of solution in the beer line, the beer is overcarbed for the temperature. You can drop the temp a few degrees and also back off the psi. Try 9 psi at 36 degrees.

Old 04-10-2013, 05:15 AM   #10
cbrown9064
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laoz View Post
Balanced my kegerator to nice results (5 ft beer line, copper tube covering line in tower, 45 degrees at second pour and 12 psi). Seemed all good. Recently I split my co2 line with a plastic T split to get a second keg carbing, planning on getting a dual tap at some point. Now I'm getting a lot of foam for the first 12oz or so. Can't figure why. The regulator is reading 12psi at the same setting as before the split even though it is going to two kegs. Not clear on why. Thought I might have need to crank it up to maintain the pressure. The pour seems the same speed as before, fast but not unreasonable. Any insights would be appreciated. Trying to avoid buying a second regulator.
Agree with others, the "T" doesnt have anything to do with it. Either the the balance changed (temp) or you are sucking air somewhere. Sankey or ball/pin lock? If Sankey I have had it where everything works fine, disconnect the coupler and recouple and have foam. Sucking air was my problem.

The temp will change also as the volume in the kegs drop. Not sure why, but they will. So whatever VV you were are originally, you have to adjust as the PSI as the temp changes to match that original VV.

Quick Reply