New Giveaway - Wort Monster Conical Fermenter!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Bottling/Kegging > CO2 refills in North Dallas area

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-14-2008, 05:37 AM   #1
billtzk
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 20 Times on 18 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Default CO2 refills in North Dallas area

Since there was a CO2 refill thread for New Jersey, I thought I'd ask around for North Dallas area, Plano, Frisco, Richardson, Addison, Carrollton, Farmers Branch, etc.

Since I can't seem to find an old beat up cheap 20lb cylinder locally, I'm considering buying a new aluminum 20lb tank from Beverage Factory for $115 total including shipping. If I buy a new cylinder, I'm going to want to have it refilled rather than exchanged.

I'd really rather do an exchange if the initial bottle price was considerably less than new tank price. I checked HD where I bought my huge 170cf C25 welding cylinder for $230. They want $194 for a 20lb CO2, exchanges for $18. That initial price for the 20lb bottle is nuts.

Reality is a crutch for people who can't cope with drugs. -Lily Tomlin

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-14-2008, 02:02 PM   #2
Ryanh1801

Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts

Good Thread as I will be needing to get a fill in the Addison area, next week.

Old 08-14-2008, 04:20 PM   #3
Shay
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

I only know of two places in Dallas that refill CO2. Hopefully someone will pipe in with more. They are Park It Market on Greenville and University. Take your tank in cold or be prepared to wait while they chill it. The other place is Bacon Fire Extinguisher. They are on Beckley in Oak Cliff. Park It Market charges 17 for a 5 lb fill which I think is pretty expensive.

Old 08-14-2008, 09:50 PM   #4
billtzk
Recipes 

I found another one. This one sounds good.

Koetter Fire Protection. 10351 Olympic Drive in Dallas, zip 75220. That's down near Harry Hines and Lombardy, just north of Northwest Highway.

I spoke to someone in the warehouse there and he said a 20 lb CO2 refill is $15.90 plus tax, they refill your bottle as long as it has a valid hydro test date. They do it while you wait. If your cylinder needs a new hydro test, you have to leave it with them overnight.

And another: Airgas, several locations. I spoke to someone at the Garland Airgas store. They only do exchanges. They'll sell you a 20 lb bottle for $140 or you can bring in your own empty bottle and they will exchange it for a filled one with a hydro date as close to yours as possible. The exchange price is $25 for a 20 lb bottle.

Koetter definitely sounds better.

Last edited by billtzk; 08-14-2008 at 09:57 PM.

Old 08-21-2008, 12:37 AM   #5
billtzk
Recipes 

Got my 20lb bottle from MicroMatic yesterday. Man, a 20 pounder is a pretty big bottle, definitely needs to be outside the Keezer I plan to build eventually. I'll be taking it to Koetter for a fill before long.

Old 08-21-2008, 01:57 AM   #6
Shay
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by billtzk View Post
I found another one. This one sounds good.

Koetter Fire Protection. 10351 Olympic Drive in Dallas, zip 75220. That's down near Harry Hines and Lombardy, just north of Northwest Highway.

I spoke to someone in the warehouse there and he said a 20 lb CO2 refill is $15.90 plus tax, they refill your bottle as long as it has a valid hydro test date. They do it while you wait. If your cylinder needs a new hydro test, you have to leave it with them overnight.

And another: Airgas, several locations. I spoke to someone at the Garland Airgas store. They only do exchanges. They'll sell you a 20 lb bottle for $140 or you can bring in your own empty bottle and they will exchange it for a filled one with a hydro date as close to yours as possible. The exchange price is $25 for a 20 lb bottle.

Koetter definitely sounds better.
I will give Koetter a call tomorrow about their price on a 5# and their hours. Thanks for finding them.

Old 08-21-2008, 10:55 AM   #7
MixnMatchBrew
Recipes 

koetterfire are great people. The ones in the front office are not the ones to speak too though.

If you go, call ahead to be sure one of the guys is working the back and just pull around there. Don't bother to go in the front door.

Might want to bring cash as it makes it easier I think. He had to walk my credit card up front to do the purchase.

Another option once you get your tank is to swap at local home depot stores that carry gas.

$13 for 10 lb
$18 for 20 lb swap.

Old 08-22-2008, 03:18 AM   #8
billtzk
Recipes 

Since I bought a new cylinder, I'll fill not swap. I'm thinking I might by a 5lb for a spare though so that I have some gas on hand whenever the 20lb runs out.

Old 08-27-2008, 06:09 AM   #9
billtzk
Recipes 

I went to Koetter Fire Protection yesterday to get my tank filled. Tax and all it was $17.95 for a 20lb fill. It was fast and easy. Like MixnMatchBrew said, don't bother going in the front. Just circle around back and pull up to the loading doc.

Highly recommended. I'll get my fills there from now on.

Old 09-10-2008, 03:57 AM   #10
davidharkness
Recipes 

I realize these posts are more than a year old, but I'm grateful for the tip about Koetter. I got my first fill at Parkit Market, and thought it was a bit light. When I got home and weighed the tank, they had only added one pound of CO2 (to a 5 lb tank). For that they charged me $16 plus change. I went to Koetter today--they gave me a full 5 lb fill for $10 plus change. I supposed that Parkit Market assumes the light fill will bring customers back sooner, but they've lost my business permanently.

As someone else mentioned, don't bother going in the front door at Koetter. Drive around back by the loading dock and go in the door. They'll have you in and out quickly.

Quick Reply