Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway!


Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Bottling/Kegging > CO2 question
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-16-2005, 11:16 PM   #11
cbotrice
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Northern Ill
Posts: 90
Default

swh, that would probably explain why on some fills I get 1800 psi and others only 1000 psi. MPW

__________________
cbotrice is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-16-2005, 11:25 PM   #12
bikebryan
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Alexandria, VA
Posts: 556
Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by swh127
Most places are licensed only to siphon CO2 from one tank to another. Therefore the amount of CO2 you receive in your tank depends on the temperature of their tank, the temp of your tank (colder is better) and how much CO2 they have left in their tank. Filling up a 20lbs tank does not always give you 20lbs.

Just a little information. I always throw my co2 tanks in the freezer for an hour before i get them filled, i seem to get 4lbs per fill instead of 3 on a 5lb tank.
A pound is a pound. They fill the tank by weighing it; when a 20 pound tank weighs 20 pounds, they stop. Same for a five pound tank. I grant you that colder CO2 condenses more, but the temps we are talking about make very little difference in the long run.
__________________
bikebryan is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-17-2005, 04:18 PM   #13
cowain
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Little Rock, AR
Posts: 338
Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Driftwood
I'm planning on setting up a kegging system soon too. No one seems to carry the 5lb tanks, but to give you an idea of what people charge here for the 20lbs:

1. A beverage gas company gives you a lifetime lease and your first fill for $100, then $28.50 each refill.

2. Industrial gas company has yearly tank lease for $50 and $25 for refill. $120 if you want to buy a tank.

3. A welding supply shop sells tanks for $185 and refills for $27.

Think I'm going to go with the beverage gas company...
Or, you can go to http://www.beveragefactory.com and get a beautiful brand new tank for less than $100, or you can do what I did and get on ebay and find a crappy one that you can exhange. I got my 10lb tank off ebay for $62 shipped. Then take that ugly mother to your local welding supply shop and trade it in for $15.
__________________
cowain is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-17-2005, 04:20 PM   #14
swh127
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: State College, PA
Posts: 36
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by bikebryan
A pound is a pound. They fill the tank by weighing it; when a 20 pound tank weighs 20 pounds, they stop. Same for a five pound tank. I grant you that colder CO2 condenses more, but the temps we are talking about make very little difference in the long run.

They might put the tank on a scale to see how much CO2 they have added in, for charging purposes, however the place that I go to can only fill my tanks up to 3/4 lbs because they are only allowed to transfer from one tank to another. There is a firehall about 30 minutes away that can anctually fill a 5lb tank with 5lbs of CO2.

I would also disagree with your statment that a 5lb tank will weigh 5lbs. I have a brand new aluminim (i think) tank that is extremly light and a 27 year old CO2 tank that weighs itself probably 10lbs. They both will hold 5lbs of CO2 and are the same size tanks.
__________________

-Scott

On Tap: American Wheat
Primary: Roge I2PA
Secondary (6.5 gal): German Hefeweizen
Secondary (5 gal): Nothing

Conditioning
Keg 1: Nothing
Keg 2: Nothing
Keg 3: Nothing
Keg 4: Nothing
Keg 5: Nothing

Up Next:
MoreBeer Porter Kit
MoreBeer Stout Kit
Magic Hat 9 Clone
Sierra Nevada Pale Ale Clone

swh127 is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-17-2005, 11:24 PM   #15
bikebryan
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Alexandria, VA
Posts: 556
Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by swh127
They might put the tank on a scale to see how much CO2 they have added in, for charging purposes, however the place that I go to can only fill my tanks up to 3/4 lbs because they are only allowed to transfer from one tank to another. There is a firehall about 30 minutes away that can anctually fill a 5lb tank with 5lbs of CO2.

I would also disagree with your statment that a 5lb tank will weigh 5lbs. I have a brand new aluminim (i think) tank that is extremly light and a 27 year old CO2 tank that weighs itself probably 10lbs. They both will hold 5lbs of CO2 and are the same size tanks.
You misunderstood what I was trying to say. Obviously the tanks weigh differently. What they are weighing is the amount of CO2 they put IN the tank. It's done the same way with propane tanks. A five pound tank of CO2 is full when the scale indicates it has five pounds of CO2 in it. The same goes for a ten and twenty pound tank.

How they account for the weight of the tank prior to filling it, I don't know, but I do know that somehow they do, and these places have plenty of experience doing it.
__________________
bikebryan is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-18-2005, 11:42 AM   #16
vtfan99
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Williamsburg, Va
Posts: 339
Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by bikebryan
...
How they account for the weight of the tank prior to filling it, I don't know, but I do know that somehow they do, and these places have plenty of experience doing it.

Every tank has a tare weight...and its stamped on the sides.
__________________
vtfan99 is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-18-2005, 12:27 PM   #17
loopmd
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
loopmd's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Omaha, Nebraska
Posts: 665
Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Default

Thanks for the responses guys. It looks like I got my question answered...and then some.

I can't wait to get this system on my garage fridge.

__________________
loopmd is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Reply



Quick Reply
Message:
Options
Thread Tools


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
A question about Coriander in a porter and another question about yeast tired Recipes/Ingredients 7 01-28-2009 10:55 PM
Malt Rating Question (newbie question) LumberjackJohn Recipes/Ingredients 3 12-09-2008 05:22 PM
Recipe Sparge Question (Beersmith Question) IrregularPulse All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing 8 06-26-2008 06:10 PM
Making Chocolate Oatmeal stout. OG question and smack pack starter Question. britishbloke Beginners Beer Brewing Forum 10 02-23-2007 05:01 PM