New Giveaway - Wort Monster Conical Fermeneter!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Bottling/Kegging > CO2 question

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-16-2005, 01:48 PM   #1
loopmd
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Default CO2 question

I've got my wife convinced that we will still have plenty of room in our "garage fridge" if I add on a tap system. I was just wondering...where do you go to refill a co2 canister? 'Bout how much can I expect to pay to get it refilled? Assuming I don't throw a kegger every weekend, how long will the average canister last before it has to be refilled?

thanks, loop

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-16-2005, 01:55 PM   #2
vtfan99
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 1

How big is your CO2 tank? I have a 20 lb tank...its handled about 15 kegs thus far. Unfortunately I didn't weigh the thing before I started using it so I have no way of telling how much gas is left. Look in your yellow pages...in mine its listed under "Gas-Industrial & Medical - Cylinder & Bulk". The place I use will rent you a tank for a yearly fee. Or you can bring in your own and swap it....or drop yours off and wait several days for yours to be filled. I think my place charges about 16 bucks to refill the 20 lb tank (although Im not sure since I haven't refilled it yet).

Old 08-16-2005, 01:59 PM   #3
loopmd

Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

"How big is your CO2 tank?"

Don't have one yet. I better hurry before the wife changes her mind!

Old 08-16-2005, 03:52 PM   #4
cbotrice
Recipes 

I use a 5lb tank that a medical gas place fills for 6.50, I just bought a used 10 lb from them for $50 that they will swap out every time. I think they charge $10 for the 10 lb tank. Most fire extingusher place will fill co2 as well as welding supply places. Definently call around and get prices because some places really charge high prices. MPW

Old 08-16-2005, 04:05 PM   #5
SwAMi75

Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by vtfan99
How big is your CO2 tank? I have a 20 lb tank...its handled about 15 kegs thus far. Unfortunately I didn't weigh the thing before I started using it so I have no way of telling how much gas is left. Look in your yellow pages...in mine its listed under "Gas-Industrial & Medical - Cylinder & Bulk". The place I use will rent you a tank for a yearly fee. Or you can bring in your own and swap it....or drop yours off and wait several days for yours to be filled. I think my place charges about 16 bucks to refill the 20 lb tank (although Im not sure since I haven't refilled it yet).
Man, I'm getting rooked! I just paid $12 to have my 5lb tank filled, and I had to drive to downtown Hampton for that.
Gone unsung for far too long

Old 08-16-2005, 04:59 PM   #6
Dude
Will work for beer

Recipes 

Liked 33 Times on 25 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam75
Man, I'm getting rooked! I just paid $12 to have my 5lb tank filled, and I had to drive to downtown Hampton for that.
Why did he charge you 12 bucks? Was it Wyn? I was sure he'd give you the jeep club discount. I still don't understand why its the same price for a 5lb tnak or a 15 lb tank either.

BTW...I got another 15 lber for the Jeep this weekend! One tank will fill about 50 tires. Do that with an air compressor, huh?
Up Next: Smoked Porter -- Pub Ale -- Watermelon Wheat
Planning:
Gone But Not Forgotten:

www.IronOrrBrewery.com

Old 08-16-2005, 05:18 PM   #7
Driftwood
Recipes 

I'm planning on setting up a kegging system soon too. No one seems to carry the 5lb tanks, but to give you an idea of what people charge here for the 20lbs:

1. A beverage gas company gives you a lifetime lease and your first fill for $100, then $28.50 each refill.

2. Industrial gas company has yearly tank lease for $50 and $25 for refill. $120 if you want to buy a tank.

3. A welding supply shop sells tanks for $185 and refills for $27.

Think I'm going to go with the beverage gas company...

Up next - Hoegarden clone, then maybe a Corona clone
Primary - Nothing
Secondary - Nothing
Secondary - Nothing, man I should really brew something...
Bottles - Just yeast, drank all the beer :(
Keg 1 - Sleeman Steam Beer clone
Keg 2 - India Pale Ale

2 Keg system is now operational!! :D Draft beer on tap at Chez Driftwood!! (Just in time for hockey :D)

Old 08-16-2005, 08:45 PM   #8
DeRoux's Broux

Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 8

any fire extinguisher service place will fill it, welding supply shop, etc. i pay about $8-$10 bucks for a 5lb bottle. for some reason it costs almost the same to fill a 10 lb. bottle as a 5 lb. co2 is cheap......
you'll have room on the top shelf in the fridge and in the freezer for other goodies. your in dude!

Cheers!
DeRoux's Broux

Old 08-16-2005, 09:42 PM   #9
Born Brewing Co.

Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ORRELSE
I still don't understand why its the same price for a 5lb tnak or a 15 lb tank either.
I know what you, some those places charge the same for the big tank or smaller tank. I guess they figure it's a flat rate when they hook up the gas line...go figure.

Primary :empty
Secondary : empty
KEG: empty

May your beer never be empty, and a roof always over your head, and when your day comes, may you get to heaven before the devil knows your dead.

Old 08-16-2005, 09:50 PM   #10
swh127
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Born Brewing Co.
I know what you, some those places charge the same for the big tank or smaller tank. I guess they figure it's a flat rate when they hook up the gas line...go figure.
Most places are licensed only to siphon CO2 from one tank to another. Therefore the amount of CO2 you receive in your tank depends on the temperature of their tank, the temp of your tank (colder is better) and how much CO2 they have left in their tank. Filling up a 20lbs tank does not always give you 20lbs.

Just a little information. I always throw my co2 tanks in the freezer for an hour before i get them filled, i seem to get 4lbs per fill instead of 3 on a 5lb tank.

-Scott

On Tap: American Wheat
Primary: Roge I2PA
Secondary (6.5 gal): German Hefeweizen
Secondary (5 gal): Nothing

Conditioning
Keg 1: Nothing
Keg 2: Nothing
Keg 3: Nothing
Keg 4: Nothing
Keg 5: Nothing

Up Next: