The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Bottling/Kegging > CO2 prices. Can this even be?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-21-2011, 01:34 AM   #1
subliminalurge
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 9 Posts

Default CO2 prices. Can this even be?

Before I ordered my initial kegging setup I called all over the place trying to find the best price on CO2, and also finding out if I could save money getting the tank locally instead of ordering a shiny new one. Nope, the shiny new one was cheaper, so I ordered it. After placing the order I ran across a local homebrewer who told me about the place he gets his tanks filled. $15 to fill my 10# tank. Not too bad.

Fast forward to today. UPS had my order scheduled for today, so I put off my lunch break until the latest possible minute I could get away with, hauled ass home, and sat and waited until the last possible minute hoping that it would be delivered in time for me to stop on the way and get the CO2 filled. No such luck, they dropped it at my door 15 minutes after I left (of course).

A little later on in the afternoon when it looked like my day was going to slow down and I might be able to sneak away for a few minutes, I got on the phone with the fire extuingisher place and asked how much it would cost me to just buy a full 5# tank from them. The guy told me it would be 10 dollars!

10 bucks?!?!

I could have gotten 7 five pound tanks, all filled, for a total of 35 pounds of CO2 for the price I payed for this shiny aluminum 10 pounder? With a few bucks left over? I asked twice, he said that was to buy the tank. Not lease, not borrow, that was to *buy* the tank. Full.

Can that possibly be right?

And if so, what is the best venue to sell off this new tank?

(Holy crap I wish I'd known about that place before I placed my order, and not two days after....)

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-21-2011, 01:55 AM   #2
Marlowefire
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Common sense man. Guy probably though you wanted to fill a 5# tank. The metal itself is worth more than 10 bucks.

Old 09-21-2011, 02:15 AM   #3
subliminalurge
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 9 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marlowefire View Post
Common sense man. Guy probably though you wanted to fill a 5# tank. The metal itself is worth more than 10 bucks.
That's what I'm thinking, and why I asked over and over. His exact words were "Ten dollars, and yeah, we'll put 5 pounds in it for you."

I was crystal clear that I wanted to buy a *tank*. I even specifically asked if there was a difference in price whether I got it empty or full. He told me no, 10 bucks and they'll put 5# in it for me.

Believe me, I'm stopping there on my way to work tomorrow, and if they really will sell me full 5# co2 tanks for 10 bucks a pop, I'm going to drain my debit card snatching up as many as they'll let me have.

Old 09-21-2011, 02:22 AM   #4
poislb
Feedback Score: 9 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 45 Times on 38 Posts
Likes Given: 48

Quote:
Originally Posted by subliminalurge View Post
That's what I'm thinking, and why I asked over and over. His exact words were "Ten dollars, and yeah, we'll put 5 pounds in it for you."

I was crystal clear that I wanted to buy a *tank*. I even specifically asked if there was a difference in price whether I got it empty or full. He told me no, 10 bucks and they'll put 5# in it for me.

Believe me, I'm stopping there on my way to work tomorrow, and if they really will sell me full 5# co2 tanks for 10 bucks a pop, I'm going to drain my debit card snatching up as many as they'll let me have.
Your not really buying it, your renting it. Ya get a tank for the price of a refill, once its empty they know you will be back to refill it ( it will have company logo/info on the tank). They take down your info upon receipt in case ya dont bring the tank back after a certain amount of time. I used to work for airgas a while back, this is how it kinda worked...

Old 09-21-2011, 02:25 AM   #5
subliminalurge
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 9 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by poislb View Post
Your not really buying it, your renting it. Ya get a tank for the price of a refill, once its empty they know you will be back to refill it ( it will have company logo/info on the tank). They take down your info upon receipt in case ya dont bring the tank back after a certain amount of time. I used to work for airgas a while back, this is how it kinda worked...
That makes more sense, even though I said I wanted to *buy* a tank, and when he asked about payment method I said cash. In fact, he asked how I'd be paying before he gave me a price....

Either way, it sounds like a better deal than $75 for an empty 10lb tank.

Guess I'll see what I can actually walk out of the store with tomorrow morning.

Old 09-21-2011, 02:27 AM   #6
lumpher
Recipes 

Liked 118 Times on 107 Posts
Likes Given: 15

the guy had breathed too much concentrated co2. there's no way. right now the tanks are going for around $60. when they ring it up, it won't be $10

Taps:
1: Yeti RIS clone
2: Mangrove Hefe
3: Barkshack Gingermead
4: Oatmeal Stout
5: Bavarian Wheat
6: Premium Lager

Fermenting: Concord Wine, ESB

Old 09-21-2011, 02:31 AM   #7
poislb
Feedback Score: 9 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 45 Times on 38 Posts
Likes Given: 48

Quote:
Originally Posted by subliminalurge View Post
That makes more sense, even though I said I wanted to *buy* a tank, and when he asked about payment method I said cash. In fact, he asked how I'd be paying before he gave me a price....

Either way, it sounds like a better deal than $75 for an empty 10lb tank.

Guess I'll see what I can actually walk out of the store with tomorrow morning.
He asked that cause they want a paper trail. Gases are used and abused for alot of stupid sh$% these days...

Old 09-21-2011, 02:34 AM   #8
subliminalurge
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 9 Posts

That's what I'm thinking too.

It sounds too good to be true.

From now on I'll ask these questions at the counter with a wad of cash in my pocket instead of over the phone. (It's a small, local place, so who knows? Strange things happen out here in the sticks....)

I'm stopping in there first thing in the morning. In fact, I've already texted my boss and told him I'd be running 20 minutes or so late. I'll report back with what I can actually walk out the door with.

I'm wondering if the "cash" thing means they'll give me a real good price on a tank that's not up-to-date... (Which I have no real problem with....)

Old 09-21-2011, 11:10 AM   #9
Marlowefire
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by subliminalurge
His exact words were "Ten dollars, and yeah, we'll put 5 pounds in it for you."
He told me no, 10 bucks and they'll put 5# in it for me.
That is filling dude.

Old 09-21-2011, 12:49 PM   #10
MrFoodScientist
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 26 Times on 24 Posts
Likes Given: 2

I'm definitely interested to hear how this turns out. Where are you located?

Find Recipes on my blog: The Homemade Soda Expert I'd love some feedback!
My Book Coming July 15th -- Making Soda at Home: Mastering the Craft of Carbonation Pre-Order and receive bookplates here
Like on Facebook!, Follow on Twitter, Add to Goodreads

Quick Reply