Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway - Enter Now!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Bottling/Kegging > co2 pressure in stored kegs

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-20-2009, 01:02 AM   #1
polecreek
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default co2 pressure in stored kegs

I have kegged a few times, so I know a little. I recently bought 8 more ball lock kegs. I tore them down and gave them an oxyclean bath for 24 hours. I reassembled and gave them a shot of starsan before putting the lids on. I am curious how much c02 pressure to put on them and if I should bleed the air out. Is this a waste of c02 or a good idea? When I keg next time they should be ready to go without any other prep work right?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-20-2009, 01:09 AM   #2
bmckee56
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

I give them a shot to seal the lid then tuck them away. I am not a long timer on kegs so others may provide differing comment.

Salute!

On Tap #1 - East End Brew
On Tap #2 - Nada
On Tap #3 - Nuttin-Honey Ale
Fermenting - BMB's Cascading Citra Ale

Old 01-20-2009, 08:22 AM   #3
MoRoToRiUm
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Never hurts to check for leakage this way; I'd still do a quick rinse with some starsan before use, if you dry it out (starsan and other no rinse sanitizers sanitize when wet; dry them out they are technically no longer sanitized). I always pressure test mine before beer hits it, just to be safe (plus I ferment in keg and jumper/bleed).

Old 01-21-2009, 06:25 PM   #4
srm775
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoRoToRiUm View Post
Never hurts to check for leakage this way; I'd still do a quick rinse with some starsan before use, if you dry it out (starsan and other no rinse sanitizers sanitize when wet; dry them out they are technically no longer sanitized). I always pressure test mine before beer hits it, just to be safe (plus I ferment in keg and jumper/bleed).
Why would they no longer be sanitized if they are dried, especially air/drip dried? The acidic solution sanitizes and coats the inside of the keg. No where in it's tech sheets does it say it is no longer sanitized.

Then, if you pump CO2 into it making it an anaerobic environment, I would say that should remain sanitized.

Last edited by srm775; 01-21-2009 at 06:30 PM.

Old 01-21-2009, 10:38 PM   #5
david_42

Recipes 

Liked 133 Times on 126 Posts

I'll put 5-10 psi on a stored keg & always re-sanitize before using. Can't see taking a chance, however small.

Remember one unassailable statistic, as explained by the late, great George Carlin: "Just think of how stupid the average person is, and then realize half of them are even stupider!"

"I would like to die on Mars, just not on impact." Elon Musk

Quick Reply