Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway - Enter Now!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Bottling/Kegging > CO2 manifold 5/16" barbs too big for 1/4" corny connection HELP

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-11-2011, 10:21 PM   #1
dallasdb
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 53 Times on 43 Posts
Likes Given: 17

Default CO2 manifold 5/16" barbs too big for 1/4" corny connection HELP

Okay, I bought a used Keg Connection CO2 manifold from another member.

I didn't realize I needed to take into account different size barbs (1/4" or larger).
This is my first time kegging and realized last night I didn't have the right barb size!

I went to General Air today and got some 1/4" brass barbs that will work for now but need some suggestions:

1. I can replace the barb going into the manifold fine, but where can I get cheap 1/4" check valves? I'd like to go local and save on shipping.
FYI you can take the barbs off the check valves but the threads aren't "normal." You can't just put a new size barb on it.

2. Do they sell larger than 1/4" barbed gas in connections for cornies? I've only seen 1/4".

3. Does someone make/sell a piece that can connect a 3/8" line to a 1/4" line?
I was thinking of a piece with 2 barbs on each end that would act as a line reducer to put together different size lines.

A generic image of my manifold is below.

co2-man-cropped.jpg  

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-11-2011, 10:48 PM   #2
dallasdb
Recipes 

Also, can the plug in the end of the manifold be removed and replaced with another check valve making it a 3 way air distributor?

co2-man-cropped.jpg  

Old 05-11-2011, 10:52 PM   #3
Bobby_M
Vendor and Brewer
HBT_SPONSOR.png
Vendor Ads 
Feedback Score: 2 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 949 Times on 633 Posts
Likes Given: 28

I'm confused. You can easily put 1/4" ID tubing over a 5/16" barb. Just soak the end in a mug of boiling water for 30 seconds.

Sightglass, Refractometer, Ball Valve, Weldless bulkhead, Thermometer, Decals, Stainless Steel Fittings, Compression Fittings, Camlock Quick Disconnects, Scale, RIMS tube, Plate Chiller, Chugger Pump, Super Clear Silicone Tubing, and more!

New Stuff?

Old 05-11-2011, 11:03 PM   #4
dallasdb
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobby_M View Post
I'm confused. You can easily put 1/4" ID tubing over a 5/16" barb. Just soak the end in a mug of boiling water for 30 seconds.
Okay, my mistake. The barbs on the manifold are way bigger than 5/16" but I don't know what exact size they are. I just went to keg connection to see what they came on theirs as this is the brand I have.

The manifold barb size fits fine on my commercial Sanke D coupler which is 3/8" I think?

Anyway the 1/4" corny gas in barb in way too small for the lines coming off the manifold barbs.

Old 05-11-2011, 11:14 PM   #5
dallasdb
Recipes 

@ Bobby_M
I've updated my picture to look like my manifold.

Old 05-12-2011, 05:25 AM   #6
dallasdb
Recipes 

Okay I took the manifold to the LHBS and they confirmed the barbs are 5/16" even though they mic out to almost 3/8"

They also assured me I can use 5/16" CO2 line on 1/4" barb with a hose clamp.

I'm still worried about a slow leak from the 1/4" barb but oh well. We will see.

Old 05-12-2011, 08:47 PM   #7
DustBow
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 21 Times on 19 Posts
Likes Given: 3

I don't understand, why aren't you just using the standard 5/16 barbs for the 1/4 line? Dip them in hot water for a bit, push them over the barb, secure w/ clamp.
That 1/4 hose should then fit on the corny QD barb as well - also use a clamp.

To one of your other questions, yes - you can remove the plug in the manifold to add a another check valve and have 3 separate shutoffs.

"Brewing beer is neither complicated nor expensive. It's the responsibility of the brewer to make it as complicated and expensive as their spouse & budget will allow."

Old 05-13-2011, 05:39 AM   #8
dallasdb
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by DustBow
I don't understand, why aren't you just using the standard 5/16 barbs for the 1/4 line?
I had 5/16" CO2 line already but I didn't hook it up to the 1/4" barb on my corny because I thought even with a hose clamp the line would leak from the 1/4" but I was wrong.

LHBS told me to heat up the end of the 5/16" line, even for the 1/4" then hose clamp. It hasn't leaked yet.

I always hesitate to put a loose connection inside a hose. I didn't want to waste a full 20lb tank because I rushed to get setup.

Thanks for the feedback.

Quick Reply