The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Bottling/Kegging > CO2 and the lesson learned with trade in.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-10-2009, 12:13 AM   #1
Ego Archive
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Likes Given: 1

Default CO2 and the lesson learned with trade in.

I learned something new a week ago, and it just occurred to me to come here and mention it. This may not apply to your circumstances, or this may be old news to you, but I thought I would mention it anyhow.

I picked up a 5 lbs. CO2 tank off of Craigslist (very cheaply) awhile back, and have been trading it in at a local welding shop. It's close and the refill/trade price seemed reasonable.

While I was in the shop this last time I mentioned that I was looking to combine 2 regulators (One with a broken high pressure gauge, and a fully functional one) into a dual regulator, and I wanted to get their thoughts. The guy wasn't sure if that would work, so I elaborated on how I was going to be pushing 3 kegs of beer, and a keg of soda at a higher pressure, so what I was looking to do might make more sense.

At that point he looked at me and said; "your going to be trading out that 5 lbs tank quite a bit if your running that much pressure, you may want to upgrade to a 20lbs tank".

That stopped me. Honestly, it hadn't even occurred to me that they would just trade up...

In retrospect it makes sense, but it was just not something I had thought of. Of course there is a fee (something like $20, plus the cost of a 20lbs refill), but it seems more than reasonable to me. While I don't know if this is a universal practice, if your running a 5lbs tank, and thinking about upgrading, this may be an option to investigate, over buy another one.

Hope that's helpful to someone.

Planning:SWMBO Berry wine, Imperial Coffee Stout, Shaved Nut(s) Brown ale.
In Primary:Apfelwein, American Pale Ale
In Secondary:
Conditioning:Sweet Chocolate Stout
On Tap: Apple Clove Mead (Bottled), 120 IPA Clone,Thanksgiving Amber Gruit (yuck), Pyment, Sweet Chocolate Stout

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-10-2009, 12:17 AM   #2
Fingers
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 24 Times on 22 Posts

Maybe just a matter of semantics, but what changes is the volume you use, not the pressure.

I rent a 50lb tank myself. I'll likely fill my 5lb tank for the summer so I can carry it around. You might want to keep that smaller tank and just get another, larger size for home.

Old 02-10-2009, 12:25 AM   #3
Ego Archive
Recipes 

Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fingers View Post
Maybe just a matter of semantics, but what changes is the volume you use, not the pressure.

I rent a 50lb tank myself. I'll likely fill my 5lb tank for the summer so I can carry it around. You might want to keep that smaller tank and just get another, larger size for home.
The term "pressure" was my misstatement, but I did mean (and he indicated), the volume I would be using to push several kegs.

I'm actually lucky enough to have received a second 5lb tank from a friend as a gift, so I will end up having both.

Planning:SWMBO Berry wine, Imperial Coffee Stout, Shaved Nut(s) Brown ale.
In Primary:Apfelwein, American Pale Ale
In Secondary:
Conditioning:Sweet Chocolate Stout
On Tap: Apple Clove Mead (Bottled), 120 IPA Clone,Thanksgiving Amber Gruit (yuck), Pyment, Sweet Chocolate Stout

Old 02-10-2009, 12:42 AM   #4
conpewter
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 40 Times on 35 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Sweet trade-up!

I also found that you can sometimes get them to trade an old crappy steel tank for an aluminum one. That happened by accident at one welding shop, and when they raised their prices I switched to a new one, now I always ask that I get an aluminum in trade for my nice aluminum one. I'll have to try that with my 20 lb steel tank now...

"People should not be afraid of their governments. Governments should be afraid of their people." - V

Primary: Nothin
Secondary: Shady Lord RIS, Water to Barleywine, Pumpkin wine, burnt mead
Kegged: Crappy infected mild
Bottles: Apfelwein, 999 Barleywine, Oatmeal Stout, Robust Porter, Robust smoked porter, Simcoe Smash

Quick Reply