Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway - Enter Now!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Bottling/Kegging > CO2 leak

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-14-2011, 06:06 PM   #1
brewit2it
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 15 Times on 14 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Default CO2 leak

I have a leak where the red CO2 tubing connects to the QD. The clamp is the one that came pre-assembled from Kegconnections and it doesn't have a screw, it looks like it is clamped on with a special crimping tool. So what do I do next?

It seems pretty obvious, take off the clamp that is on and put on a new one but just wondering if anyone knows exactly what I am looking for from home depot as far as size and type. Also any tips on removing the clamp that is one there? I was thinking to try to pry it open with a screwdriver.

Thanks

See my cheap new Keezer Build Here:
http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f51/chea...keezer-224848/

Primary: 2 Row IPA
Second Primary: Kolsch-like ale

Keg 1: Blur Moon
Keg 2: Empty
Keg 3: Empty

Bottled: None

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-14-2011, 06:07 PM   #2
Mischief_Brewing
Recipes 

Liked 11 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 4

I just took a pair of pliers and squeezed the existing until I couldn't spin the red hose on the barb any longer. No more leak for me.

Old 03-14-2011, 06:09 PM   #3
hamiltont
Recipes 

Liked 13 Times on 13 Posts

Cut the clamp with a pair of wire cutters/dikes and cut the tubing above the mess you just made . Use a ~1/2" worm gear hose clamp to reassemble it. Cheers!!!

If Homebrew & BBQ aren't the answer, then you're askin' the wrong questions... Cheers!!!

Old 03-14-2011, 06:10 PM   #4
Golddiggie
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 477 Times on 420 Posts
Likes Given: 266

Hose clamps are typically made to cover a range of tubing sizes. Simply measure the OD of the tubing at the connector and get a package of clamps that has that size in it's range. You're probably looking for the smallest ones they have, or the next size up...

Unless you use lock-tite on the clamp threads, you will want to check them from time to time. Just to make sure they haven't started to come lose. I needed to do that for my IC when I used it last week.

跟猴子比丟屎 ・ Gun HOE-tze bee DIO-se

On Tap: Caramel Ale, Mocha Porter II, MO SMaSH IPA
Waiting/Carbonating: 12.5% Wee Honey II, 8.9% Old Ale, English Brown Ale, Lickah ESB, Mocha Porter II
Fermenting
K1:
K2: Epic mead
K3: TripSix
On Deck: Caramel Ale
Aging:mead
Mead [bottled]:Oaked Wildflower Traditional, Mocha Madness, Blackberry Melomel, maple wine

Old 03-14-2011, 07:54 PM   #5
abracadabra

Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts

It probably is an Oettiker as 724b says and his suggestion of a nipper tool is right on the money, and as Mischief suggests trying to squeeze it tighter should be your first action before you cut it off and go to with a worm drive type c clamp.

Old 03-14-2011, 08:09 PM   #6
brewit2it
Recipes 

Liked 15 Times on 14 Posts

Thanks for the replies. I'll try squeezing it tighter but Im guessing I'll end up with the cut it off and attach a 1/2 inch worm gear clamp to reassemble.

See my cheap new Keezer Build Here:
http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f51/chea...keezer-224848/

Primary: 2 Row IPA
Second Primary: Kolsch-like ale

Keg 1: Blur Moon
Keg 2: Empty
Keg 3: Empty

Bottled: None

Old 03-15-2011, 07:27 PM   #7
Cacaman
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts

I also have a CO2 leak, and I already tried doing this, plus changing the ball lock disconnect. It seemed to have worked, since the pressure stayed stable for 2 days. After I removed the keg and CO2 from the keezer and put it in room temp, the CO2 tank completely drained overnight (about 400psi). I don't know what else to do :'(

Old 03-15-2011, 07:57 PM   #8
starsailor
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I've had the same problem, a leaking Oettiker clamp. They can be crimped on or crimped tigher with a pair of dikes or a pair of nippers like others have said. Personally, I prefer a pair of nippers. Their a handy tool to have to cut wire and pull nails, so they're worth having anyway and cost about $5-$8 at a HW store.

I prefer the Oettiker style clamp because they clamp 100% of the way around the tube and once tight enough never come loose. Screw clamps can loosen and only clamp about 80% around the tube as they always have a flat spot under the screw.

They are pretty permanent though. You can cut them off by, in increasing level of difficulty, a cutting wheel on a Dremel or angle grinder, carefully pry them apart with a small flat screwdriver, or carefully cut them with a hacksaw.

New Oettiker clamps are hard to find unless you order from a kegging supply place. However, a nearly identical clamp that also clamps 100% can be found at HD and Lowes. They're "Shark Bite" clamps made for PEX tubing and can be found in the plumbing section. They clamp on the same way with a nipper or dikes. I have them on all my gas and beer lines. Resist buying the special crimping tool for them unless you're a plumber and will use it every day because it's a special tool that really has no other use.

For your leaking clamp I'd try to crimp it tigher first and then cut if off and replace it with a "Shark Bite" clamp only if recrimping doesn't do the trick.

Primary: Rye-I-Brew Belgian Rye Saison
Secondary: None
On Deck: Wheat ale
RIP: BadBoy Wit, Wild Cider, Got Mild?x2, Wyeast Cider-2x, SO4 Cider, Wheat ale, Carnival Kölsch-2x, Am Pale Ale, Am Brown Ale, Dunkel Larger, Erik The Red, Newporter, Cream Ale, Bitter, Trapist Triple, Bourbon Oaked Porter, Gluteus Minimus(Gluten Free)-2x, English Brown

Wizards Homebrew Club

Old 03-15-2011, 08:33 PM   #9
Cacaman
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by 724b
Was CO2 hooked up to the keg when it was outside of the keezer? If so, maybe the gas orings are the issue.

You can get those at McMaster http://www.homebrewfinds.com/2010/12/bulk-keg-o-rings-at-mcmaster.html

Have you sprayed the whole thing down with star san to check for bubbles?
Yes the keg has been connected to the CO2 the whole time. My next step then is to spray it down with starsand and replace the clamps with oetiker clamps. Any other suggestions?

Quote:
Originally Posted by BierMuncher View Post

“Get your beer off the yeast cake on day 7 or your beer will crawl out of the fermenter and eat your youngest child”

“Your beer will be the equivalent of rhinoceros urine unless it sits on the primary yeast cake for at least 4 weeks.”

Old 03-15-2011, 08:43 PM   #10
hamiltont
Recipes 

Liked 13 Times on 13 Posts

Keg Lube on all the rubber parts (O-rings, poppets and relief valve) is pretty effective unless there is structural damage to the component. Cheers!!!

If Homebrew & BBQ aren't the answer, then you're askin' the wrong questions... Cheers!!!

Quick Reply