New Giveaway - Wort Monster Conical Fermenter!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Bottling/Kegging > Co2 carbonation versus natural yeast carbonation

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-08-2012, 07:57 PM   #1
Bibbly
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Co2 carbonation versus natural yeast carbonation

I am thinking of investing in a legging system. I know nothing about this and am very intimidated. My dad is a grouchy old curmudgeon who complains about the sediment in my beer and the lack of serious carbonation. He likes me fizzy.
What should I watch out for with the keg systems?
Will this mechanical carbonation improve clarity due to no yeast cells?
Will using a CO2 system make bigger more impressive bubbles? It's a bit pricey so I wanna be sure I'm not wasting my money

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-09-2012, 01:42 AM   #2
Hex23
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 42 Times on 42 Posts
Likes Given: 45

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bibbly View Post
I am thinking of investing in a legging system. I know nothing about this and am very intimidated. My dad is a grouchy old curmudgeon who complains about the sediment in my beer and the lack of serious carbonation. He likes me fizzy.
What should I watch out for with the keg systems?
Will this mechanical carbonation improve clarity due to no yeast cells?
Will using a CO2 system make bigger more impressive bubbles? It's a bit pricey so I wanna be sure I'm not wasting my money
Lack of carbonation and clarity need not be a problem with bottle conditioning. If you are priming the right amount, letting it condition for 3 weeks at 70F, then cold conditioning for at least 48 hours, then the yeast bed should be well compacted such that you can carefully decant into a glass and avoid yeast. Now there are other problems such as chill haze that have nothing to do with the yeast. That can often be taken care of with kettle finings.

To me kegging is about convenience of packaging and serving. The nature of the carbonation will be the same.

Old 11-09-2012, 02:31 AM   #3
45_70sharps
Recipes 

Liked 172 Times on 141 Posts
Likes Given: 136

Nothing to be intimidated by with kegging.
put the beer in, pressurize, wait, drink.

You may want to look at other clarifying methods as well.
I don't know your beer or methods but forced carbonating will eliminate any yeast in the bottom.

If you want to have some bottles still, you can always get a beer gun or counter pressure filler and fill bottles right out of the carbonated keg.

You can also adjust your carbonation by letting out all the pressure every morning and night for a few days to lower it, or you can turn the pressure up and give it some time to add carbonation.

There are tables you can use as a guide for figuring that out.

Let's see if I keep this updated!

On tap
Black Butte clone

In secondary
Pumpkin ale

In primary
Honey wit

Up next.. Firestone Union Jack clone

Quick Reply