co2 bottle in fridge?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
what nystevecf said. I have my 20# tank in the fridge. Your tank pressure gauge (not the outlet gauges) will just read lower since the liquid in the tank is cold.

Save room for more beer in your fridge, and keep your tank (if it's steel) from getting rust on the bottom- but yea you're fine with it in fridge. The high pressure gauge (as boogyman) posted isn't that big of a deal; it goes from gas to uh-oh almost out/out fairly quickly either way.

well if you don't have a kegerator or have your fridge converted, then the tank will have to stay inside with the kegs right? My fridge door wouldn't seal right if the co2 was outside on the floor and the keg was sitting in the fridge. So if you have kegs on tap and always use the picnic tap or have no kegator then the co2 is always in the fridge right?

thanks
Joe

I'd be willing to bet some people have found grommets that would seal a hole drilled through the side of a fridge to run the CO2 from a remote source.

since i dont have room inside the kegerator for my co2 tank, i drilled a hole through the back of it. It is just the right size so that the co2 line is snug and i didnt feel i needed to use anything additional to seal it up.

A lot of people with mini fridges manage to shove it through the drain hole, or drill it out and do so. I drilled hole in the compressor hump of my fridge.

You can either have the reg outside and use regular low pressure lines, or have a high pressure (like this one at micromatic) and have the regulator inside. The first is cheaper (at least at micromatics prices).

Again, it is perfectly safe to keep the tank inside. The biggest concern is rust on the bottom of a steel tank, and possible moisture in the gauges (not normally a big deal).

I was wondering something.... Has anyone converted a mini fridge and bent down the freezer part in the back? If so did you put you co2 tank oh the compressor hump next to the freezer? I'm just wondering if the freezing temperatures of the freezer coil will mess with the co2 tank.
Thanks

I was wondering something.... Has anyone converted a mini fridge and bent down the freezer part in the back? If so did you put you co2 tank oh the compressor hump next to the freezer? I'm just wondering if the freezing temperatures of the freezer coil will mess with the co2 tank.
Thanks

I know the freezer bend has been done more then once, and am fairly certain the CO2 has been inside one of these setups... I don't see any issues with it, other then keep an eye out for moisture in your regulators, and don't trust the high pressure gauge till it drops into the red.

i've done the freezer compartment bend on my first kegerator, just be careful not to let any cracks develop in the coolant line. maybe best to put a tarp under everything before attempting.

my co2 was inside the fridge, and i didn't experience any problems due to the proximity to the frozen coils.

rather than trust the tank pressure gauge (that tells you the pressure inside the tank) i determine how much co2 i have left by weight. just weigh the tank when it's full, subtract the capacity (5 lb, 10 lb, etc) and that's how much it'll weigh when it's empty. it's foolproof, and i no longer have to guess when a tank is gonna run out or keep a spare around.

Right now I keep it in the keezer but I'd prefer not to. Just seems like more corrosion, I'd rather have the extra room in there for kegs, and the high gage reads better.

When I do get around to building a collar for this thing...I'll use a bulkhead fitting through the collar and barbed stem nuts on each end.

rather than trust the tank pressure gauge (that tells you the pressure inside the tank) i determine how much co2 i have left by weight. just weigh the tank when it's full, subtract the capacity (5 lb, 10 lb, etc) and that's how much it'll weigh when it's empty. it's foolproof, and i no longer have to guess when a tank is gonna run out or keep a spare around.

+1 great way to know your CO2 levels (or if you got a complete fill/what you paid for). I would do one thing different- weigh it EMPTY, and use that as the tare. Should be almost the same, but I have seen variances. I think it was EdWort who posted it not too long ago in the equipment section, but a luggage scale is great for CO2/propane/kegs for weighing.

Back