Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Bottling/Kegging > CO2 blows out top of tank

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-23-2012, 02:32 AM   #1
BrandonP
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default CO2 blows out top of tank

Hi all,

I just had my 5lb CO2 tank refilled at my local welding supply shop and when I hooked it to my system and opened the tank, the CO2 came blowing out from the top where I turned it on. I shut it off, reconnected the regulator to the tank and it happened again. Oddly, even though it blows out of the top, it still causes the gauge to go up. Please help!!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-23-2012, 03:32 AM   #2
Alucard1983
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 6

If it is comming ou around the nut... You forgot the vynal/plastic washer in the nut where the regulator connects to the tank... Check see if it there if now I'm pretty sure the wielding shop you go the tank refilled would see you one for like 5 cents

Primary's Air
Carboy's Raspberry wine, pale ale
Kegged Cooper's Stout, Coopers lager, Newfie dive bomber pee
On tap Cooper's lager, Cooper's Stout

Old 08-23-2012, 11:57 AM   #3
zachattack
Recipes 

Liked 230 Times on 198 Posts
Likes Given: 120

I think he's saying it's leaking around the valve at the top of the tank? Some tanks need the valve to be fully open or it doesn't seal. So try quickly turning the valve as far as you can, see if that stops it.

Old 08-23-2012, 12:37 PM   #4
DeafSmith
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 33 Times on 31 Posts
Likes Given: 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by zachattack View Post
I think he's saying it's leaking around the valve at the top of the tank? Some tanks need the valve to be fully open or it doesn't seal. So try quickly turning the valve as far as you can, see if that stops it.
+1. My tank will leak if I only open the valve part way.

Old 08-24-2012, 12:03 AM   #5
memphisbrew76
Recipes 

Likes Given: 1

I just made a post asking for help about this same issue not seeing this one already. I tried the open the valve all the way suggestion and all that does it send more gas leaking out. I am a complete noob with kegging and this is my first tank fill. I'm was wondering if I could take it back to the shop that filled the tank and have them tighten up that nut under the valve and maybe that would solve the issue.

Old 08-24-2012, 01:12 AM   #6
BrandonP
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by zachattack View Post
That's exactly where it is leaking from. Gave it a shot and it just blew CO2 all over the place. Pretty soon I won't have any CO2 left!

I'm thinking about bringing it back to the welding place I brought it to (that also specializes is beer mixes) and asking them to look at it. This didn't happen the first time I got it filled.

Old 08-28-2012, 04:46 AM   #7
BrandonP
Recipes 

So I took it back to the welding supply store that I got it filled from and it turns out I had a faulty valve, hence the CO2 blowing out the top. 25 bucks for a new valve and I'm up and running.

Quick Reply