Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Bottling/Kegging > Closed Transfer from 14.5 Blichmann Triclamp to Keg - Fittings?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-11-2012, 02:39 PM   #1
wubears71
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 28 Times on 16 Posts
Likes Given: 27

Default Closed Transfer from 14.5 Blichmann Triclamp to Keg - Fittings?

Yesterday, I went to do my first transfer from my 14.5 gallon Blichmann Fermenator with the Triclamp fittings to a 5 gallon ball lock and realized that I have "fitting issues". I jerry-rigged a setup that worked so-so, but I had air leaks, so I wasted a lot of CO2 in the process and ended up just gravity feeding 1/2 of the first keg and all of the 2nd keg so I didn't completely purge my 5 lb cylinder.

With that being said, here are the connections:

• Fermenator CO2 Inlet (Tri-clamp Blow-off Kit) - 1/2" Barbed Adapter
  • CO2 Regulator Outlet - 5/16" Barbed
  • Fermenator Racking Arm Discharge - 1/2" Flare
  • Ball Lock Liquid Fitting - threaded 1/4" Flare

What I am struggling with is the best way to adapt the various fittings so that I can transfer leak free.
  • I need something to step the Threaded 1/4" Flare fitting on the Ball Lock Liquid Fitting to accept a 1/2" barbed fitting.
  • I need something to Step up the CO2 Regulator Outlet 5/16" barb to 1/2" barb or step down the Tri-Clamp 1/2" Barbed Adapter to 5/16".

Any suggestions would be much appreciated.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-12-2012, 12:09 AM   #2
carlisle_bob
Recipes 

Liked 27 Times on 26 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by wubears71 View Post
Yesterday, I went to do my first transfer from my 14.5 gallon Blichmann Fermenator with the Triclamp fittings to a 5 gallon ball lock and realized that I have "fitting issues". I jerry-rigged a setup that worked so-so, but I had air leaks, so I wasted a lot of CO2 in the process and ended up just gravity feeding 1/2 of the first keg and all of the 2nd keg so I didn't completely purge my 5 lb cylinder.

With that being said, here are the connections:
  • Fermenator CO2 Inlet (Tri-clamp Blow-off Kit) - 1/2" Barbed Adapter
  • CO2 Regulator Outlet - 5/16" Barbed
  • Fermenator Racking Arm Discharge - 1/2" Flare
  • Ball Lock Liquid Fitting - threaded 1/4" Flare

What I am struggling with is the best way to adapt the various fittings so that I can transfer leak free.
  • I need something to step the Threaded 1/4" Flare fitting on the Ball Lock Liquid Fitting to accept a 1/2" barbed fitting.
  • I need something to Step up the CO2 Regulator Outlet 5/16" barb to 1/2" barb or step down the Tri-Clamp 1/2" Barbed Adapter to 5/16".

Any suggestions would be much appreciated.
Hi

The CO2 side is easy: 5/16" barb to male pipe thread adapter / female pipe to female pipe coupling / male pipe thread to 1/2" barb adapter. Probably easiest to do it with 1/2" pipe threads. You may need a reducer between the 5/16" barb and the female / female coupling. Just about everything should be in stock at your local Lowes or Home Depot.

The liquid side is similar: 1/2" barb to the same female to female pipe coupler, 1/2" to 1/4" reducer, 1/4 pipe to 3/16 barb fitting, 3/16 beverage hose to the barb on the flare on the ball lock coupler.

As with any plumbing job there are about a million combinations that will work. The stuff above should all be a single trip to get locally. If you want to do some mail order there are fancier ways to go from the brew hardware guys.

Bob

Old 06-12-2012, 12:28 AM   #3
wubears71
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 28 Times on 16 Posts
Likes Given: 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by carlisle_bob View Post
Hi

The CO2 side is easy: 5/16" barb to male pipe thread adapter / female pipe to female pipe coupling / male pipe thread to 1/2" barb adapter. Probably easiest to do it with 1/2" pipe threads. You may need a reducer between the 5/16" barb and the female / female coupling. Just about everything should be in stock at your local Lowes or Home Depot.

The liquid side is similar: 1/2" barb to the same female to female pipe coupler, 1/2" to 1/4" reducer, 1/4 pipe to 3/16 barb fitting, 3/16 beverage hose to the barb on the flare on the ball lock coupler.

As with any plumbing job there are about a million combinations that will work. The stuff above should all be a single trip to get locally. If you want to do some mail order there are fancier ways to go from the brew hardware guys.

Bob
Awesome. Thanks. That is perfect. I was trying to avoid ordering more parts.

Quick Reply