Originally Posted by wubears71
Yesterday, I went to do my first transfer from my 14.5 gallon Blichmann Fermenator with the Triclamp fittings to a 5 gallon ball lock and realized that I have "fitting issues". I jerry-rigged a setup that worked so-so, but I had air leaks, so I wasted a lot of CO2 in the process and ended up just gravity feeding 1/2 of the first keg and all of the 2nd keg so I didn't completely purge my 5 lb cylinder.
With that being said, here are the connections:
- Fermenator CO2 Inlet (Tri-clamp Blow-off Kit) - 1/2" Barbed Adapter
- CO2 Regulator Outlet - 5/16" Barbed
- Fermenator Racking Arm Discharge - 1/2" Flare
- Ball Lock Liquid Fitting - threaded 1/4" Flare
What I am struggling with is the best way to adapt the various fittings so that I can transfer leak free.
- I need something to step the Threaded 1/4" Flare fitting on the Ball Lock Liquid Fitting to accept a 1/2" barbed fitting.
- I need something to Step up the CO2 Regulator Outlet 5/16" barb to 1/2" barb or step down the Tri-Clamp 1/2" Barbed Adapter to 5/16".
Any suggestions would be much appreciated.
The CO2 side is easy: 5/16" barb to male pipe thread adapter / female pipe to female pipe coupling / male pipe thread to 1/2" barb adapter. Probably easiest to do it with 1/2" pipe threads. You may need a reducer between the 5/16" barb and the female / female coupling. Just about everything should be in stock at your local Lowes or Home Depot.
The liquid side is similar: 1/2" barb to the same female to female pipe coupler, 1/2" to 1/4" reducer, 1/4 pipe to 3/16 barb fitting, 3/16 beverage hose to the barb on the flare on the ball lock coupler.
As with any plumbing job there are about a million combinations that will work. The stuff above should all be a single trip to get locally. If you want to do some mail order there are fancier ways to go from the brew hardware guys.