Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Bottling/Kegging > Clogged corny keg... what to do?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-06-2011, 10:01 PM   #1
Christer
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Default Clogged corny keg... what to do?

So I recently did Northern brewer's peace coffee porter extract kit and ran into some issues when racking into the keg. This recipe calls for an addition of coarse ground coffee into the secondary... No mention of putting grounds into a grain bag. So I let the beer sit on the coffee for a week and then go to rack into my corny keg and I'm having all sorts of issues with my autosiphon clogging on the coffee grounds. So after trying several things I broke down and poured the porter through a sanitized grain bag into the keg. Fast forward a week... My beer has been sitting under pressure and should be good to pour, hook it up and we're getting nothing. I think I have some coffee grounds clogging the stem in the corny keg. WTF do I do now? Can I slowly bleed off the co2, rack the beer into another keg and recarbonate? Grrrr.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-06-2011, 10:04 PM   #2
Kaz
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 21 Times on 20 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Or, you could bleed off the CO2, spray the posts down with star san, remove the liquid out post and then pull and unclog the diptube. Sanitize everything good and re-assemble. No need to rack to another keg IMO. Just pay attention to sanitation, cover the open post hole with some sanitized foil and you should be good to go. If the clogging continues then its time to punt.

Draft 1: Lightly smoked Weizen
Draft 2: Belgian Wit
Draft 3: Rauchbier

Primary 1: German Scwarzbier
Primary 2:

On Deck: Belgian Brown Ale, Pale Ale, Stout

Old 08-06-2011, 10:12 PM   #3
mixmasterob
Recipes 

What a way to break in the new keg, having the same problem... When I open my picnic tap nothing happens. It must be way clogged. There are chunks of hop debris throughout the line, I have no idea what to do.

It's only been two days, should I just wait the rest of the week then attempt to unclog the dip tube?

Old 08-06-2011, 10:28 PM   #4
Bashiba
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

I just had to do this with my all citra IPA, to much dry hops got in and clogged it. I just bled off the CO2 and transferred it to a clean keg and it worked great, it was carbonated immediately, enough CO2 must stay in the solution that it didn't drop off at all.

10 Gallons of Imperial Alt
10 Gallons of Imperial Stout
5 Gallons Double Dry Hopped Space Kolsch

Secondary
Weller Special Reserve Bourbon Barrel full English Barleywine
5 Gallons of Scotch Barrel Aged Baltic Porter

On Tap Right now
Rye Saison - Space Kolsch - Porter - Wet Hopped Pale

Old 08-06-2011, 10:49 PM   #5
bigbeergeek
Recipes 

Liked 115 Times on 94 Posts
Likes Given: 79

As previously suggested, try clearing the liquid dip tube and see if that fixes it. If you have 1/2" of grounds at the bottom of the keg however, and it keeps clogging over and over, I'd rack it to another keg. I've had the same experience with a messily dry hopped keg of IIPA. After clearing the dip tube 3 times, I racked and the problem was solved. Start with the simplest solution first. Good luck!

"Good people drink good beer." -HST

Old 08-07-2011, 12:42 AM   #6
fredtheseal
Recipes 

Likes Given: 2

How about hooking your gas up the beer out post and pulling the pressure release? That might temporarily clear the tube but if it clogged once it'll probably happen again. Ball lock posts are slightly different sizes, but it's not impossible to do.

Old 08-07-2011, 01:29 AM   #7
Christer
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Thanks for the input guys, project for tomorrow. I'm going to try pulling the diptube. Also funny that I searched for another similar thread before asking and another guy asked the same question within minutes.

Old 08-07-2011, 05:18 AM   #8
bigbeergeek
Recipes 

Liked 115 Times on 94 Posts
Likes Given: 79

Quote:
Originally Posted by fredtheseal View Post
How about hooking your gas up the beer out post and pulling the pressure release? That might temporarily clear the tube but if it clogged once it'll probably happen again. Ball lock posts are slightly different sizes, but it's not impossible to do.
That's never worked for me, although it seems like it should. I suppose if the dip tube itself were clogged, it might work. But if the clog has lodged itself in the poppit (which I would wager is usually the case) it's hard (if not impossible) to dislodge it without taking things apart.

"Good people drink good beer." -HST

Old 08-07-2011, 06:20 AM   #9
samc
Recipes 

Liked 54 Times on 51 Posts
Likes Given: 29

Not a fan of coffee grinds in fermented beer, obviously you know why. You guys might try some cold crashing to get everything to settle out before doing transfers. In the future you should consider cold brewing those grinds and adding just the liquid to your beer. Hope it works for you!

Old 08-07-2011, 06:57 PM   #10
Christer
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Well, pulled the dip tube, cleared, clogged again... and again. Ended up having to rack it out into a carboy, clean out the keg and rack back in. A good argument for an extra corny keg to have on deck for these emergencies... Because after tasting I'm sure to make this one again!

forumrunner_20110807_145739.jpg  

Last edited by Christer; 08-07-2011 at 07:21 PM.

Quick Reply