New Giveaway - Wort Monster Conical Fermenter!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Bottling/Kegging > Clear glass bottles - how bad are they?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-22-2006, 10:59 PM   #1
NOVA Brewer
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Clear glass bottles - how bad are they?

Hi there - I'm fixing to start my first batch of homebrew next month, and I have a question about bottling.

I plan on bottling half of my first batch in regular, reusable brown glass bottles.

I work at Ikea, however, and we have these great flip-top Grolsch-style bottles for $2 a piece, that hold 34 oz. each. In between a bomber and a growler, I guess. I was hoping to put the other half of my batch in 10 or so of these big bottles, which would be easy to give as gifts or perfect for storage.

The downside is that these bottles are made of clear glass, however. If I store them in boxes or otherwise cover them after bottling, what are my chances of avoiding lightstruck beer?

Thanks for any help you can provide - I'm sure this will be the first of many questions I have for the forum!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-22-2006, 11:06 PM   #2
Brewpilot
Recipes 

Ikea rocks dude... well, Id say if you prtect them from light, and the people that you give them to do as well (as if homebrew lasts very long anyway) then there shouldnt be a huge problem. But, brown bottles are pretty darn cheap for the extra insurance they provide. Brew away!

Old 08-22-2006, 11:11 PM   #3
EdWort
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 242 Times on 131 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Just keep em in the dark and you'll be fine. The green bottles that Grolsch, Becks, & Heini uses create their trademark skunkyness from a chemical reaction hops have with light.

Old 08-22-2006, 11:34 PM   #4
Blender

Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts

If it was me I would not do it even though they sound like a great deal. When I first bottled I put a few in Corona bottles so that I could see the color of the brew. They tasted different (not good) and all were in the same box. I know that sounds unlikely but I threw them out after that. Start drinking 22 oz. beers and build up a stock of those.

Gary

Old 08-22-2006, 11:41 PM   #5
EdWort
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 242 Times on 131 Posts
Likes Given: 7

You could go with 1 liter plop top bottles from Austin Home Brew. They are brown and 12 bottles go for $39 and cover over half your batch. You'll only need 20 bottles for a whole batch of beer and no caps or capper. I have them for Apple Wine and they are great.

Old 08-23-2006, 12:02 AM   #6
gruntingfrog
Recipes 

Nova,

I use 1 liter clear bottles (Lorina Soda bottles) and haven't had any noticeable difference in a batch. I saw the bottles you're talking about at IKEA the other day and I was going to pick up a bunch. The problem I saw was that they have a very distinct seam where the two halves were put together. It didn't look very strong and may not hold up to carbonation pressures. I say try a couple of them and see how it works out, but I wouldn't necessarily trust your whole first batch to them.

If they work well, let me know. I would love to get some.

Up Next: Belgian Dubbel, English Pale Ale
Fermenter 1: Blonde Ale Experiment 1 | Fermenter 2: Blonde Ale Experiment 2 | Fermenter 3: Northern English Brown | Fermenter 4: Nothing
Keg 1: Nothing | Keg 2: Nothing | Keg 3: Nothing
Bottled: Nothing

Old 08-23-2006, 12:22 AM   #7
Ivan Lendl

Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts

I use the Lorina lemonade bottles and corona bottles almost exclusively (I only use amber bottles now for comps and ****s and giggles) and they work great. I hate not being able to see the beer.

Just keep em out of the light and youll be allright (this includes long exposure to artificiall light as well)

Primary: empty
Secondary: empty
Bottled: Barbarian IPA
Up next: Configuration 9

Old 08-23-2006, 12:38 AM   #8
NOVA Brewer
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by gruntingfrog
Nova,

I use 1 liter clear bottles (Lorina Soda bottles) and haven't had any noticeable difference in a batch. I saw the bottles you're talking about at IKEA the other day and I was going to pick up a bunch. The problem I saw was that they have a very distinct seam where the two halves were put together. It didn't look very strong and may not hold up to carbonation pressures. I say try a couple of them and see how it works out, but I wouldn't necessarily trust your whole first batch to them.
Yeah, I noticed that, too...

Thanks for all the advice, guys. I like the bottles from Austin Home Brew. I guess I'll try a little of everything, and I'll let you guys know how it all turns out.

Old 08-23-2006, 01:46 AM   #9
david_42

Recipes 

Liked 130 Times on 124 Posts

I think the biggest problem in using clear bottles for gifting is you have no control over how they are treated.

Remember one unassailable statistic, as explained by the late, great George Carlin: "Just think of how stupid the average person is, and then realize half of them are even stupider!"

"I would like to die on Mars, just not on impact." Elon Musk

Old 08-23-2006, 02:41 PM   #10
gruntingfrog
Recipes 

Absolutely, David.

I use normal 12 oz, amber bottles for giving to friends and keep the 1 liters for myself. That's also because you can't always trust someone not to pitch the bottle in the trash.

Up Next: Belgian Dubbel, English Pale Ale
Fermenter 1: Blonde Ale Experiment 1 | Fermenter 2: Blonde Ale Experiment 2 | Fermenter 3: Northern English Brown | Fermenter 4: Nothing
Keg 1: Nothing | Keg 2: Nothing | Keg 3: Nothing
Bottled: Nothing

Quick Reply