Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Bottling/Kegging > Clear Bottle non twist

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-16-2005, 08:48 PM   #31
Janx
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 12 Times on 8 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Straub
If they are not returned the brewery has to invest $5 for a new case and glass to put back in the line. If this is not expressingly clear please email me at pa_beer_fanatic@hotmail.com and I will explain further.
Thanks for the explanation. But wasn't the $5 you mention paid for by the consumer. So, effectively, you bought the bottles? I used to get some local beer in Boulder Colorado that worked like that. The stuff was dirt cheap as long as you brought back the empties. They charged something like $8-10 to make sure you brought it back.

In other words, don't the financial incentives urge the consumer to return the bottles, but if they don't, well, the brewery already got paid for them anyway?
Won't you pour me one more of that sinful Old Janx Spirit

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-16-2005, 08:49 PM   #32
Janx

Recipes 

Oh, and what brewery, if you don't mind my asking. I've had some good brews in PA.

Old 02-16-2005, 08:56 PM   #33
arachnyd

Recipes 

buying in michigan, most stores handle all the returned bottles the same way - typically they go into a machine that reads bar codes and prints a receipt that you take to the cashier. Inside the machine is a hopper - all the bottles go together - regardless of the type - miller lowlife or heavy reusable bottles. Some kid comes and replaces the hopper when it gets full, takes it to the back of the store where they have a crusher and dumps the bottles - actually, many of the kids delight in the sound of breaking glass, so throw the bottles one by one (also a good way to kill time they are being paid for). Your precious reusable bottles become shards just like the buttwiper bottles. So, if I keep a few back, I feel I am actually saving a good bottle from an early grave.

Old 02-16-2005, 10:02 PM   #34
Chris Straub
Recipes 

Default Janx, Check out the Last Name - Straub

I am a member of the Straub Brewing family. Check out www.straubbeer.com for more information. I'm a 19 year old college student in Chemical Engineering at Penn State. Thats why I'm so ardent about respecting brewery property. Sorry if I come off as cocky or whatever.

Old 02-16-2005, 10:06 PM   #35
Chris Straub
Recipes 

Default Further Explanation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Janx
But wasn't the $5 you mention paid for by the consumer. So, effectively, you bought the bottles? .....

In other words, don't the financial incentives urge the consumer to return the bottles, but if they don't, well, the brewery already got paid for them anyway?
No the consumer does not own the bottles. There is an industry standard $1.50 deposit as the incentive on the bottles and case. It has been $1.50 for many decades because things like that are hard to change. Fifty years ago $1.50 covered everything and if you didn't return it thats your fault. Now if you don't return the bottles the brewery gets your $1.50 but is still at a loss of $3.50. The price of the case does not cover the bottles for returnables. The cost of non returnable bottles is covered by the cost of the case, thats why they are yours to keep or recycle. Anything else I need to clear up??

Old 02-16-2005, 10:14 PM   #36
Janx

Recipes 

Nope thanks!

Quick Reply