Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway - Enter Now!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Bottling/Kegging > Cleaning (NOT sanitizing) bottles...

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-15-2011, 12:22 PM   #1
Brewskii
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 113 Times on 64 Posts

Even with PBW or Oxy Clean, my bottle brush sucks. It is sometimes difficult to get in the corners on the bottom. I rinse my old bottles as I use them and in bottling day I poke out ( with a bottle brush using hot water and PBW or similar) and inspect before loading into dishwasher for sanitize cycle.
The problem is I have seen yeast in the bottles showing "brush marks" from the bottle brush. It appears I am not cleaning well before sanitizing.

Is there a better way?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-15-2011, 12:38 PM   #2
krenshaw
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 48 Times on 44 Posts
Likes Given: 27

this may not help your current problem, but the BEST thing to do is just give your bottles a quick rinse right after pouring from them.. if you do that then you don't need much "cleaning" before bottling, just a good sanitize..

~ A fine beer may be judged with only one sip, but it's better to be thoroughly sure.

DOWN THE HATCH BREWING
Stainless Hop Spider | Wooden Brew Rig | Dual Hinge Keezer Build

Primaries.. oxy :-(
Keg 1: Apfelwein | Keg 2: BlackEyePA version2 | Keg 3: Summer Saison
Bottles: lots full and even more empty

Old 12-15-2011, 12:39 PM   #3
tojo
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 5 Posts

I have the same issues with some bottles. I'm looking at clean bottle express brush from Austin. Report back when it gets in.

www.austinhomebrew.com/product_info.php?product_id=13099

I love a good train wreck!!

Old 12-15-2011, 01:48 PM   #4
BrewThruYou
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 35 Times on 32 Posts
Likes Given: 16

Quote:
Originally Posted by tojo View Post
I have the same issues with some bottles. I'm looking at clean bottle express brush from Austin. Report back when it gets in.

Austin Homebrew Supply
That link didn't work...try this one:

Austin Homebrew Supply

I have this product as well as the matching Carboy/Corny version. It's pretty slick. On certain bottles, it's a tight squeeze to get it through the neck. I have EZ Cap 16oz bottles that have a smaller opening and it's really tough to get it in and out...same with some Troeg's bombers. On normal bottles, it still doesn't just "slide in" you have to force it in (make sure it's wet first).

I 1000% recommend this thing for cleaning your starter flasks. Sometimes, I would get burnt extract on the bottom of my flask and a krausen ring...this thing is amazing for that.

For cleaning bottles, I'd recommend it for stubborn bottles, but I can't see myself using it to clean every bottle. I can't speak on durability since I've only had it for maybe 10 days. I have a feeling that with all the tight squeezes into bottles that the chamois clothes attached are going to rip off sooner or later.

Old 12-15-2011, 01:59 PM   #5
Rev2010
Recipes 

Liked 72 Times on 50 Posts
Likes Given: 173

Quote:
Originally Posted by krenshaw View Post
this may not help your current problem, but the BEST thing to do is just give your bottles a quick rinse right after pouring from them.. if you do that then you don't need much "cleaning" before bottling, just a good sanitize..
I agree with this. I never clean my bottles ever, however as soon as I finish pouring one I put in a little bit of water and swirl then dump to get the yeast and whatnot out. Then I fill the bottle close to half with warm to hot water, cover the mouth and shake it back and forth vigorously and dump. I do this 4 times, a total of 4 rinses not counting the first little yeast dump.

After 4 warm-hot water rinses the bottle goes on the bottle tree. I only then sanitize before bottling. I've never had a single problem doing it this way. If the bottles sit a while before use and get a bit dusty, which is rare since they are in a closed box, I will then give them a rinse before sanitizing.

Rev.

Old 12-15-2011, 02:09 PM   #6
Calichusetts
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 226 Times on 167 Posts
Likes Given: 604

Quote:
Originally Posted by krenshaw View Post
Preventative medicine is the best route here. I fill my empties about 1/3 with very hot water , put my thumb over them and give them a vigorous shake...I drain them. Repeat with sanitizer. Finally, I fill the bottle complete with hot water, empty, fill 1/3, shake...done. This is directly after pouring it into my glass

May seem tedious but my bottles are crystal clean without any actual cleaners, I just have to sanitize before I fill.

Old 12-15-2011, 02:15 PM   #7
AJC16
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

A couple of days before I bottle, I put my bottles in the dishwasher and run them through the cycle. I sanitize the day of brewing. If I have some serious crud to clean out, I have a jet bottle washer with hot water in my washer tub in the basement, and it cleans my bottle. I will also attest to rinsing after you pour.

Old 12-15-2011, 06:21 PM   #8
tojo
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 5 Posts

Only problem I find is that the only bottles I get with all the stuck on yeast and such is the ones I give to friends. Sometimes hard to explain to them to rinse out after pouring.

Maybe I'll just keep more beer for myself. Lol.

I love a good train wreck!!

Old 12-15-2011, 06:34 PM   #9
seabass07
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 118 Times on 90 Posts
Likes Given: 70

A half hour soak in oxyclean will get them very clean. Just rinse well and shake them a few times while draining out the oxyclean from the bottles.

Fermenter 4: Beer

Old 12-15-2011, 07:03 PM   #10
rhamilton
Recipes 

Liked 64 Times on 53 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I know exactly what you mean. Dump the 'beer bottle' brush for a 'wine bottle' brush. It'll get into all the corners and get any gunk out -- but it'll be harder to get in and out of the bottles.

Kegged: County Jail Pale Ale, AHS Anniv IPA, AHS Brooklyn Brown, Raspberry Wheat, Blood Orange Hefe, Ranger IPA clone (x2), Newcastle clone, AHS Irish Red, Centennial Blonde
Bottled: Session Series Belgian Saison, Apocalypso, Pecan Porter, DFH 90 Minute Clone, Apfelwein (x2), Wytchmaker Rye IPA Clone, Vienna/Simcoe SMaSH, Munich/Cascade SMaSH

Quick Reply