Cleaning(not sanitizing) bottles

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Peterock

Reaction score
I'm hours away from bottling my first brew. So I have 2 cases of used 12oz bottles I plan on using. My question is.... although I rinsed 75% of the bottles when I was done drinking and they look OK, I guess(meaning I don't see any sediment or gunk in the bottle) What would be the best procedure in preping them for my Vinator with Starsan. I heard that soap will leave a residue behind without rinsing many many many times. I also do have Straight A but I found from my own experience that the Straight A leaves a slim residue behind. Bleach and water? At what ratio? Is there another method? What do you all do?
Thanks,
Pete

Oxyclean free was always my go-to for bottles that needed some extra cleaning attention. Soak the bottles in there overnight and rinse the next day. Then sanitize right before bottling, and you'll be golden.

How hard is Oxi clean to rinse?
Straight A is an Oxygenated base cleanser/stanitizer and like I mentioned it's a P.I.A. to rinse.
They are one of the same beast...........No?

Oxyclean free was always my go-to for bottles that needed some extra cleaning attention. Soak the bottles in there overnight and rinse the next day. Then sanitize right before bottling, and you'll be golden.

I suppose it depends on your water. With my water, Oxiclean leaves a white film in places on some bottles (not all over the bottle), but PBW doesn't.

I suppose it depends on your water. With my water, Oxiclean leaves a white film in places on some bottles (not all over the bottle), but PBW doesn't.

StarSan should eat through that film and remove it easily. But PBW is always the better option; it's just less available and much more expensive.

He said hours away from bottling. I assume that means no overnight...................
I would use a splash of bleach in the sink with a bottle brush and a good rinse. Let dry on the dishwasher racks or on a bottle tree (upside down is the key).

What is PBW?
I guess I'll run a little test to see if the Sraight-A slim comes off with StarSan

If you have hard water such that the Oxiclean leaves a residue, you can do two StarSan applications. The first should remove the residue, and the second should sanitize. YMMV.

I've also ran them through the dishwasher with a pack of b-brite and used the dry cycle. the Vintinator is a wonderful time saver! Don't fear the foam, and don't fill it all the way. just enough to get a pump going.

I'm less than vigilant on rinsing my bottles so I put jet wash and put all in a big cooler and soak for 24 hrs in OxiFree. Just because mine are FUNKY

Most people here seem to prefer the Oxyclean for whatever reason, but I have had no trouble with a warm water + bleach soak before rinsing with water and star san-ing.

just watch that bleach/oxy or bleach/starsan combo! had both fizz and release some noxious fumes!!!! I used to use just bleach... worked well for years! (not saying you used both in short order hoppin but I have! OOPS)

just watch that bleach/oxy or bleach/starsan combo! had both fizz and release some noxious fumes!!!! I used to use just bleach... worked well for years! (not saying you used both in short order hoppin but I have! OOPS)

No that is definitely pretty important to remember. Death by sanitizer is not very appealing. Whenever I have to use the bleach to clean/remove labels I like to run them through a short dishwasher cycle w/out detergent before using the star san.

What is the disadvantage of using the dishwasher to clean w/ detergent. I rinse my bottles right after use, then wash in the dishwasher with detergent, I don't smell anything in the bottles when they are dried and out of the dishwasher. Right before the bottling I fill each bottle with iodine solution (12,500 ppm) and let sit for about 10 minutes. I can't see an overpowering or even minor soap residue being an issue... but maybe someone has had different experiences?

What is the disadvantage of using the dishwasher to clean w/ detergent. I rinse my bottles right after use, then wash in the dishwasher with detergent, I don't smell anything in the bottles when they are dried and out of the dishwasher. Right before the bottling I fill each bottle with iodine solution (12,500 ppm) and let sit for about 10 minutes. I can't see an overpowering or even minor soap residue being an issue... but maybe someone has had different experiences?

The detergent residue can negatively affect head retention. Also, the dishwasher is not particularly good at cleaning bottles as the water is unlikely to really flush each one. If the bottles are clean, and your dishwasher has a "sanitize" setting, you can use that to heat sanitize, but I find StarSan and a Vinator to be much quicker and easier.

I use oxyclean or b-brite to clean bottles in the dishwasher... it's not the most effective some bad grungy bottles still had some gunk inside.

Ive found a good oxiclean soak is just as fast and more effective.

I'm no expert, but I've been letting water run thru after drinking then keeping the bottles in a plastic box w/a snap lid. It holds about 38 bottles.

Then in to the dish washer the night before bottling or the morning of. Mine has the heat sanitizer setting.

I just double or triple rinse them as I drink them... I then take my bottle washer attachment for my sink and blast them with hot water for a few seconds before sanitizing them on bottling day... I've had no problems yet... I only use oxiclean for removing labels.

Back