Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Bottling/Kegging > cleaning my bottles...

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-04-2007, 04:55 AM   #11
mrk305
Beer Dude in the Sunset
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 11 Times on 11 Posts
Likes Given: 22

the dishwasher acts like an autoclave in that it will sanitize everthing inside and remain so until u open it. i usually run the washer bout 1-2 hrs before bottling, use em when they are still hottish and you'll have no problems.

me too

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-04-2007, 12:33 PM   #12
RLinNH
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 12 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 6

I have a fairly late model Dish Washer(less then three years old). It is a top of the line Kemore Elite that has an Anti Bacterial setting. Do I trust it to Sanitize my Bottles? Not a Chance. I rinse my bottles after pulling them out of the Bleach/water solution, then I run them in a Normal wash cycle, without soap to insure that I got all the Bleach. After that, I bake the bottles for 90 minutes in my oven with Tin Foil caps on them. Then, after the bottles cool, I bottle.

I can say this for my dish Washer. When I do occasionaly run the Anti Bacterial setting, I need to be very careful opening the door of the Dish Washer. The Hot steam that pours out of it is unreal. So yeah, it might do the job, but I am just to paranoid to trust it. I take the extra step because I dealt with a run of infections that was occuring during the bottling process. I never want to go through that again.

On DeckAnother Mild
Primary Camper's Delight 9
Secondary nope
Bottled SSBC Club Brew 2013
Kegged Camper's Delight 8
On Tap MaiBock

Old 11-04-2007, 12:49 PM   #13
cweston

Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 8 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by RLinNH
I have a fairly late model Dish Washer(less then three years old). It is a top of the line Kemore Elite that has an Anti Bacterial setting. Do I trust it to Sanitize my Bottles? Not a Chance. I rinse my bottles after pulling them out of the Bleach/water solution, then I run them in a Normal wash cycle, without soap to insure that I got all the Bleach. After that, I bake the bottles for 90 minutes in my oven with Tin Foil caps on them. Then, after the bottles cool, I bottle.
Jeebus, the sounds complicated. I just fill a big tub with iodophor and soak em a couple minutes, then let them drip dry in the dishwasher.

Primary: none
Secondary:
Bottle conditioning: Robust Porter
Drinking: Saison Dupont clone, tripel
Coming soon: Columbus APA, Rich Red ale

Old 11-05-2007, 03:13 PM   #14
camiller
Recipes 

Liked 28 Times on 28 Posts
Likes Given: 9

I thought the general consensus was that the opening of the bottles is to small for a dishwasher to effectively clean them. Plus if you have a "jet dry" dispenser in there that the jet dry residue could affect head retention?

Generally I wash bottles in oxyclean with a bottle brush by hand and leave the dishwasher for the dishes.

Old 11-06-2007, 02:50 AM   #15
willkere

Recipes 

The commercial dishwasher in my fraternity is inspected once a year by the city. The water must reach 195 degrees for it to pass. FYI.

Old 11-06-2007, 03:18 AM   #16
IowaStateFan
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by camiller
I thought the general consensus was that the opening of the bottles is to small for a dishwasher to effectively clean them. Plus if you have a "jet dry" dispenser in there that the jet dry residue could affect head retention?

Generally I wash bottles in oxyclean with a bottle brush by hand and leave the dishwasher for the dishes.
Yep, you're right. The dishwasher won't clean the bottles, but the heat and steam will kill most of the bugs (ie. sanitize). The first time I heard about using the dishwasher to sanitize, I didn't pay attention to the instructions and thought I could take a shortcut and just wash the bottles in the dishwasher and bottle. I lost several bottles from that batch because they had stuff floating in them. Now I give them a soak in oxyclean, run the bottle brush inside them, rinse and set aside until bottling day. On bottling day I run them through the dishwasher on high heat, and heat dry. Never had a problem with infections.

Old 11-06-2007, 02:59 PM   #17
camiller
Recipes 

Liked 28 Times on 28 Posts
Likes Given: 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by IowaStateFan
Yep, you're right. The dishwasher won't clean the bottles, but the heat and steam will kill most of the bugs (ie. sanitize). The first time I heard about using the dishwasher to sanitize, I didn't pay attention to the instructions and thought I could take a shortcut and just wash the bottles in the dishwasher and bottle. I lost several bottles from that batch because they had stuff floating in them. Now I give them a soak in oxyclean, run the bottle brush inside them, rinse and set aside until bottling day. On bottling day I run them through the dishwasher on high heat, and heat dry. Never had a problem with infections.
So you don't have any problems with the jet dry dispenser in your dishwasher? Or have you never filled it?

The original poster suggested he was in fact cleaning his bottles in the dishwasher and planed to sanitize them on botteling day.

Put yourself on the Homebrewers Map see the forum thread

My ridiculously easy stir plate buildMy Kegerator

Old 11-06-2007, 03:16 PM   #18
brewt00l
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Someone better tell Palmer to correct his books.....

Old 11-06-2007, 04:07 PM   #19
iamjonsharp

Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by RLinNH

I can say this for my dish Washer. When I do occasionaly run the Anti Bacterial setting, I need to be very careful opening the door of the Dish Washer. The Hot steam that pours out of it is unreal. So yeah, it might do the job, but I am just to paranoid to trust it. I take the extra step because I dealt with a run of infections that was occuring during the bottling process. I never want to go through that again.
Yikes! That's a long process. That antibacterial setting with all the steam is all that is needed. Just put clean bottles in let it go through the wash w/o soap with the antibacterial/hot dry setting on. Then you're good to go. All the bleach water/baking is not needed. I've got a really crappy old dishwasher that won't clean dishes to save its life, but it'll sanitize bottles. That's all that it is used for.

Old 11-06-2007, 04:10 PM   #20
iamjonsharp

Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by brewt00l
Someone better tell Palmer to correct his books.....

Palmer's book is correct:

"With the exceptions of spoons, measuring cups and wide mouth jars, it is probably best to only use automatic dishwashers for heat sanitizing, not cleaning. Heat sanitizing is discussed later in this chapter."

http://www.howtobrew.com/section1/chapter2-2-1.html

"Dishwashers can be used to sanitize, as opposed to sterilize, most of your brewing equipment, you just need to be careful that you don't warp any plastic items. The steam from the drying cycle will effectively sanitize all surfaces. Bottles and other equipment with narrow openings should be pre-cleaned. Run the equipment through the full wash cycle without using any detergent or rinse agent. Dishwasher Rinse Agents will destroy the head retention on your glassware. If you pour a beer with carbonation and no head, this might be the cause."

http://www.howtobrew.com/section1/chapter2-2-3.html

Quick Reply