Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Bottling/Kegging > Cleaning Bottles

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-22-2008, 04:57 PM   #1
Tim_B
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Illinois
Posts: 28
Liked 4 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Default Cleaning Bottles

Hello all, just finished my first homebrew and it came out pretty good and I've got the second one in the primary. I cleaned my bottles for their first use really well, and sanitized of course, and when I am through with them I rinse them out really well with hot water and check for any residues. I'll then cover them up with aluminum until they're ready to be used again. I know I've got to sanitize them, but do they need to be cleaned again with soap (I think I have the oxygen based soap) before sanitizing?

__________________
Tim_B is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-22-2008, 05:00 PM   #2
Boerderij_Kabouter
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Boerderij_Kabouter's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Oconomowoc, Wisconsin
Posts: 8,461
Liked 116 Times on 101 Posts
Likes Given: 11

Default

I don't. Just make sure that they are clean (sight check) and sanitize them. I have a bottle blaster that I use before sanitizing just to be sure everything is out of there, you may want one, they are great!

Boerderij_Kabouter is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-22-2008, 05:01 PM   #3
Willsellout
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Willsellout's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Oregon coast
Posts: 914
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim_B View Post
Hello all, just finished my first homebrew and it came out pretty good and I've got the second one in the primary. I cleaned my bottles for their first use really well, and sanitized of course, and when I am through with them I rinse them out really well with hot water and check for any residues. I'll then cover them up with aluminum until they're ready to be used again. I know I've got to sanitize them, but do they need to be cleaned again with soap (I think I have the oxygen based soap) before sanitizing?
I don't and haven't had any problems. I just make sure and rinse really well and then put them away. I don't cover them either, just put them in one of my boxes until I need them.


Dan
__________________
Disgrunt-Aled Brewery
Primary One-empty
Primary Two-Empty
Secondary One-Empty
Secondary Two-Empty

On Tap: Hobgoblin, Coffee Stout
Bottled: Arrogant Bastard clone, Summit IPA, Apfelwein
Willsellout is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-22-2008, 05:05 PM   #4
Dr_Deathweed
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Dr_Deathweed's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Bryan, Texas
Posts: 2,407
Liked 26 Times on 20 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Default

I just rinse the out well after I empty them, and put them away till the next use. I dont bother covering them, I want all that water in there to dry out so I dont have to worry about scrubbing mold or anything nasty like that out before I use them again.

When I am ready to refill them, I give them a good quick rinse with plain old hot water before I sanitize, then get to work fillin 'em up!

__________________

"Never ascribe to malice that which can be adequately explained by incompetence." - Napoleon Bonaparte
“An intelligent man is sometimes forced to be drunk to spend time with his fools.” - Ernest Hemingway

Fermentation CabinetAdding Faucets to a TowerDIY HopbackPortable Kegerator

Dr_Deathweed is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-22-2008, 05:08 PM   #5
Tim_B
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Illinois
Posts: 28
Liked 4 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Default

Cool, thanks for the really fast replies! I'll keep doing that then and I'll keep covering them up too just in case. Thanks again.

__________________
Tim_B is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-22-2008, 05:11 PM   #6
vfinch
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Victoria BC, Canada
Posts: 277
Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boerderij Kabouter View Post
I don't. Just make sure that they are clean (sight check) and sanitize them. I have a bottle blaster that I use before sanitizing just to be sure everything is out of there, you may want one, they are great!
Ditto. After use I rinse them out and put them away open in their cases. Then before bottling I give them a good shot with the bottle blaster and a couple pumps with the vinator and then onto the bottle tree.
__________________
In Primary: English Brown Sept 2011
In Secondary: Summer Smash 2011
Keg: Noble Cascadia Amber Ale
Next Up: Something...
vfinch is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-22-2008, 05:12 PM   #7
Tim_B
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Illinois
Posts: 28
Liked 4 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by deathweed View Post
I just rinse the out well after I empty them, and put them away till the next use. I dont bother covering them, I want all that water in there to dry out so I dont have to worry about scrubbing mold or anything nasty like that out before I use them again.

When I am ready to refill them, I give them a good quick rinse with plain old hot water before I sanitize, then get to work fillin 'em up!
I usually drain them for a few minutes before covering them, but still doesn't get all of the water out. I didn't think of it growing mold or anything in there, but you're right....I think I'll start leaving them uncovered.
__________________
Tim_B is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-22-2008, 08:14 PM   #8
zacster
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Brooklyn, NY
Posts: 993
Liked 19 Times on 18 Posts

Default

I rinse all bottles after use, put them aside, and then blast them inside and high pressure spray them outside. I then use Starsan to sanitize.

__________________
zacster is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-23-2008, 01:13 PM   #9
fratermus
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: 75081
Posts: 1,189
Liked 2 Times on 1 Posts

Default

I rinse and put them away.

On bottling day, I hit each one with a jet washer on the porch then use the vinator sprayer to sanitize.

__________________
Adequate Mousetrap brewhouse

Batch history | yeast slants | Suspending yeast
fratermus is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-23-2008, 01:51 PM   #10
DubbelDach
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Lancaster, PA
Posts: 1,307
Liked 35 Times on 32 Posts
Likes Given: 11

Default

After using, I rinse with hot water, maybe a bottle blast if it's hooked up. I then just store them on my bottle tree. When I'm ready to bottle, I put them in the dishwasher and run Light Wash > Sanitize with no soap. That blasts them with 190* water to sanitize instead of chemicals.

Been doing this for a year with no problems.

__________________
DubbelDach is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Reply


Quick Reply
Message:
Options
Thread Tools


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Cleaning Bottles? StrangeDog Beginners Beer Brewing Forum 10 02-19-2014 12:21 PM
cleaning bottles? pbdist Wine Making Forum 2 11-09-2008 01:16 AM
Cleaning Bottles Photopilot Bottling/Kegging 7 09-11-2007 03:41 AM
Cleaning Bottles? Chris_Dog Beginners Beer Brewing Forum 11 05-07-2007 02:27 AM
Cleaning Better Bottles? mot Equipment/Sanitation 8 03-21-2007 05:33 PM