Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Last Sponsor Giveaway of the Year!

Come Enter the BrewDeals/FastFerment Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Bottling/Kegging > Cleaning after 12 years

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-21-2013, 06:25 PM   #11
Ramdough
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

The kegs had beer in them, they were consumed but never cleaned. There was whatever the co2 could not push out, so there was some liquid. They have been sealed since then.

The carboy was probably rinsed, but I don't remember. I was very busy at the time.

I will post a pic of the carboy when I get a chance. It was very heavy when full.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-21-2013, 09:43 PM   #12
zachattack
Recipes 

Liked 246 Times on 212 Posts
Likes Given: 138

Carboys: I'd do an oxiclean soak with hot water, and leave them overnight. Attack them with a brush if needed, rinse a bunch and you should be good.

Kegs: I'd pull out the dip tubes, posts, poppets. Fill the kegs with hot oxiclean, throw the long diptubes in there to soak with them. Get a few bowls or tupperware contrainers (keep the parts from each keg separate in case they're different style posts/poppets, and keep the lids with their respective kegs) and soak all the other pieces in hot oxiclean in those. Get a dip tube brush if you don't have one, and the next day scrub out the dip tubes and hit the kegs with the carboy brush. Everything else should clean up pretty easily, slap some new, lubed o-rings on there and you should be fine.

Old 01-21-2013, 10:10 PM   #13
atreid
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 45 Times on 37 Posts
Likes Given: 17

I have 3 of those 15 gals carboys. For your information, they are fairly cheap in the "used" market, generally for wine making. (got 3 of them for a total of 45$ cnd)...

They are nice for big batches, but keep in mind how much of a pain they are to carry around. You can't carry them around like a 5 gals carboy AT ALL! The glass is also thinner than our beer carboys. Unless they are empty, forget about carrying them by the tip or the glass is gonna break. Also when cleaning, pay attention because they get very slippery when wet...

You might end up preferring 2 normal carboys instead... ;-)

Quick Reply