The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Bottling/Kegging > Christmas for my husband

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-11-2008, 04:44 PM   #1
maryjane
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Christmas for my husband

HI guys. My husband is an avid reader of your forums, and no I'm not telling you who he is, but he respects your opinions, and who knows maybe if I'm lucky he'll respond to this post.

I want to get him some custom bottle caps for christmas, and labeling stuff so when he bottles up his home brew they look good. My problem is that whole he has a brewery name, I don't think he's developed a logo yet, and other than a color scheme, I don't know what he would want on his caps or labels. I found Crafty Caps to do custom caps and printable labels. Crafty Caps will help me with the designs for the caps, and I figure I can do labels from there, but here's my question:

Would you rather have the caps and labels in hand even if they weren't exactly what you wanted them to look like, or would you prefer the idea and gift certificates to do it yourself after christmas?

Thanks!

An appreciative wife.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-11-2008, 04:48 PM   #2
davebl
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 1

What if you did caps in a color scheme of his brewery, such as a sold cap with a stripe or dot on it, or maybe even the brewery's initials.

I personally, dislike gift certificates and think that he would really appreciate a gift that while may not be perfect, but you put though into it. The sentimental side may be more valuable the utility.

Planning:

Primary: Sam Smith Oatmeal Stout

Secondary: Centennial IPA (Dry Hopping)

Kegged: Oberon Clone, Kona Fire Rock APA, Northern English Brown, Centennial Blond

Old 12-11-2008, 04:52 PM   #3
GilaMinumBeer
In yo' garage, steelin' yo parts.
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 4604 Times on 4299 Posts
Likes Given: 55

I think what you are proposing would be an awesome show of support to his downward spiral into this addiction.

I too have a brewery name, that seems to change frequently, but do not have a logo or label design (I stopped bottling to keg) but, if my wife winged it with the name and created her own interpretation on the label design, I'd definitely go with it (at least until the supplies ran out) with a ****e-eating grin.

Hip Hip to you Mrs. Appreciative Wife.

PS "Just in case": Huney I love You.

Old 12-11-2008, 04:52 PM   #4
Donasay
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts

Unless he specifically asked you for caps and labels, there are other, better brewing related presents out there. There is nothing like actually opening a real present, so you definitely want to get him something tangible and not a gift card.

When it comes to bottling beer for competitions, your caps can't have makrings and your bottles can't have labels. In addition there are other methods discussed on the forum for making cheap labels using a home printer and some paper etc. All in all I don't think caps and labels are the brewing gift to go with...

No matter how rich you are, you can still only drink 16 or 17 liters of beer a day.

Quote:
Originally Posted by quixotic View Post
The true definition of an addiction: not stopping even when a dog is having his way with you.:D
http://www.solutionsinmetal.com/

Old 12-11-2008, 04:53 PM   #5
uwjester
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 1

That's a pretty awesome idea. I know I'd like the gift either way. If your husband is good with graphic design and is going to come up with his brewery name, I'd go with the gift certificate. If computers and artwork aren't his thing, go with one of the premaid designs. There are some fairly cool options in that category.

Good luck.

--------------------------------------------------
This space intentionally left blank.
--------------------------------------------------

Old 12-11-2008, 05:02 PM   #6
Homercidal
HBT_MODERATOR.png

Recipes 

Liked 1900 Times on 1371 Posts
Likes Given: 1045

Well, you could get the labeling stuff and instead of getting logoed caps, just find some nice colored ones. Maybe save enough money to get something else too. That way you don't have to wonder if he wanted the logos on the cap or the gift card, AND he gets something nice he can use (guys like stuff they can use).

BTW - If this is you hun, I want a set of different kinds of pub glasses, a bottle of Pliny the Elder, and a stick.

Old 12-11-2008, 05:07 PM   #7
Stevorino
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Homercidal View Post
BTW - If this is you hun, I want a set of different kinds of pub glasses, a bottle of Pliny the Elder, and a stick.
Hahhahaa, Nice.

BTW - If this is you Sarah, don't get me a gift certificate. I don't know my logo yet, so just do something creative and it may end up being what I want (or at least a good place to start)!

...someone is getting a quiz this afternoon.

-Stevorino-_________________________________________
In Keezer:
1. BCS - Wet Hopped West Coast Blaster
2. CYBI - Gordon's IPA Clone
3. BCS - Scottish -80
4. BCS - Specialty Saison (Gold Medal at BMO)
In Process:
1. BCS - Janet's Brown Ale (Fermenting)

Old 12-11-2008, 07:54 PM   #8
Fett327
Recipes 

LOL, every married guy on the forum is hoping that this gal is his wife.

Whoever you are maryjane, your husband is a lucky guy.

Old 12-11-2008, 07:55 PM   #9
MoRoToRiUm
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Homercidal View Post
By "stick" I really hope you mean a brew/wort paddle...

I'm all for the thought put into it rather then a gift card; I also agree there may be better gifts for a home brewer, but you know your hubby better then us

Old 12-11-2008, 08:27 PM   #10
maryjane
Recipes 

it is true that I know there are better gifts for a homebrewer, but he is SO picky about his equipment that I'd hate to mess up something I was spending that much on. Plus he's been giving bottles of his home brew to a lot of people lately as thank yous or general gifts. That's what inspired this idea.

I too am wondering what you mean by stick. I have lots in my backyard that I'd be happy to send your way :-)

Quick Reply