Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Bottling/Kegging > Chill haze

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-30-2005, 03:46 AM   #1
PeatReek
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Chill haze

So, how does chill haze work?

I just started cracking open my latest batch, a pale Koelsch; the first few bottles I just put in the fridge briefly, for like 20-30 minutes, then poured into a glass. Very clear, but cold enough to be tasty.

Last night, I put a 6-pack in the fridge and now I cracked one about 24 hours later, and it's exhibiting significant haze when I pour it. What's the deal? Does the haze typically take a day to develop? I thought it happened right away when you chilled the beer, if it was gonna happen at all. What do I do now, cold condition for days/weeks?

I did use Irish Moss during the boil, and the product sure was clear during secondary fermentation.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-30-2005, 03:53 AM   #2
Mindflux
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Chill haze is caused by protiens that are in suspension .. other then that I can't help. It *SHOULD* settle out with time anyway...

and fwiw, clear beer (by most peoples opinions) is overrated.

I had a badly hazed holiday ale thanks to the cinnamon powder, I used gelatin to clear it in bulk..

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply