Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Bottling/Kegging > Chest Freezer Specs and Layouts

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-11-2013, 03:32 PM   #41
hrigsby
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Awesome work! Could you do me a huge favor and do the math on whether or not the freezers that will hold two 1/2 bbls. will be able to hold one 1/2 and two cornies? That is the setup I am looking for if I can manage it, and I was wondering what the minimum freezer size is that I would need.

Thanks again, this is so helpful!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-11-2013, 03:56 PM   #42
thadius856
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 572 Times on 250 Posts
Likes Given: 155

Quote:
Originally Posted by hrigsby View Post
Awesome work! Could you do me a huge favor and do the math on whether or not the freezers that will hold two 1/2 bbls. will be able to hold one 1/2 and two cornies? That is the setup I am looking for if I can manage it, and I was wondering what the minimum freezer size is that I would need.

Thanks again, this is so helpful!
Good question! I only have so many numbers to work with so far, but I'll give it a shot with the information I have.

The Frigidaire 8.8cf LFFC09M5HW in Post #19 can hold one 1/2 bbl and one 1/4 bbl without a collar. You can swap out the 1/4 bbl for a second 1/2 bbl on the hump, but you'll need to add a collar. My calculations show you'll need minimum 5-1/2" collar, but that does not account for taps. Assume that you'll need a 1x8/2x8 collar for a low profile Sanke tap, or a 1x10/2x10 collar for a regular Sanke tap. All three configurations leave room for two 5# CO2 tanks inside.

To get two 1/2 bbl kegs without using the hump, you'll need minimum 32-1/2" width without hump and 16-1/4" depth if they're side-by-side. The 10.0cf-class freezers are wider, but not wide enough. The 13.0cf-class freezers will are about the same internal width as the 10.0cf-class models, with a little extra depth, so that won't get you there either.

At the 15.0-cf class, the configuration you're hoping for starts to be become possible. The Maytag 14.8cf MQC1552TEW can hold two 1/2 bbl side-by-side, plus any of two 20# CO2 tanks, or two 1/6 bbl kegs with a few 5# CO2, or two ball lock kegs with a few 5# CO2 tanks. Any larger class will be able to hold at least this much, right on up to the 25.0cf-class.

If you are looking to save money, Lowe's has the Frigidaire 12.9cf LFCH13M2MW right now on a tremendous sale for $269. Might wanna hurry before they're all gone, if you're willing to make that size compromise.

Did I answer all your questions?

Thadius Miller, Project Manager -> RaspberryPints

Before you build a keezer, look at this!
Chest Freezer Spec Sheets and Layout Drawings (15 models and counting)

Old 01-11-2013, 05:10 PM   #43
hrigsby
Recipes 

Thanks!

My only question would be about the structural stability of placing a 1/2 bbl. on the hump. I've never really pressed down on that to see how solid it is, but I know a 1/2 bbl. carries a significant amount of weight. Would that be a problem?

My thinking is that the difference between an 8.8 and a 12-15 is pretty large, and if I can make an 8 work that would be huge.

Old 01-11-2013, 11:03 PM   #44
BigJerk
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 1

You are so awesome, you pretty much made my decision on what to get for my keezer. thanks for the hard work and beautiful diagrams and charts!

Old 01-11-2013, 11:05 PM   #45
thadius856

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigJerk View Post
You are so awesome, you pretty much made my decision on what to get for my keezer. thanks for the hard work and beautiful diagrams and charts!
Glad to hear!

If you get a model that I don't have drawings for yet, please consider submitting the measurements listed in Post #4 so I can make drawings for that model.

Old 01-11-2013, 11:07 PM   #46
thadius856

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by hrigsby View Post
Thanks!

My only question would be about the structural stability of placing a 1/2 bbl. on the hump. I've never really pressed down on that to see how solid it is, but I know a 1/2 bbl. carries a significant amount of weight. Would that be a problem?

My thinking is that the difference between an 8.8 and a 12-15 is pretty large, and if I can make an 8 work that would be huge.
Indeed, the weight of 1/2 bbl is not insignificant.

Any time you're trying to put a 1/2 bbl on a compressor hump, you'll need to provide support. Most shelves are less than 10" wide, and the 1/2 bbl is over 16" wide. It wouldn't be too difficult to distribute the weight across the platform you'd have to build. Personally, I'd probably not go past 1/4 bbl on the hump of any model, but that's just me.

What beers do you have planned that you'll need two 1/2 bbl all the time? Just curious.

Old 01-11-2013, 11:12 PM   #47
BigJerk
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I'm actually going with the Frigidaire 14.8cf LFFN15M5HW, Your info sold me on it, it's the perfect size for me as I'm going to do 4 ball locks of beer (with and extra 2 in there on reserve), 2 of carbonated water, and a 20# co2 tank with a 4" collar. I got a bunch of Lowes gift cards for christmas and that pretty much paid for it.

Old 01-11-2013, 11:31 PM   #48
thadius856

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigJerk View Post
I'm actually going with the Frigidaire 14.8cf LFFN15M5HW, Your info sold me on it, it's the perfect size for me as I'm going to do 4 ball locks of beer (with and extra 2 in there on reserve), 2 of carbonated water, and a 20# co2 tank with a 4" collar. I got a bunch of Lowes gift cards for christmas and that pretty much paid for it.
Awesome. I hope it works out well for you.

Old 01-12-2013, 12:44 AM   #49
hrigsby
Recipes 

Good question! It wouldn't be all the time. I'm a college student, and the plan would be to have 2 or 3 1/6 bbls on tap typically (probably two crafts and one home brew for now until I get more experience brewing). I would like to be able to have a 1/2 bbl on tap of something for any parties we have. I doubt we would ever need two 1/2 bbls on tap, but it just seems to work out that the space I need to have one 1/2 and two 1/6 (or two cornies) is nearly equivalent to having the space for two 1/2s, if that makes sense. The prospect of being able to have two 1/2s on tap has me thinking though, and I figure if I'm remarkably close to being able to do it space wise with the system I want, I may as well set it up so that it is possible.

I've been searching threads for information on combining different keg sizes, but I haven't been able to find much until this thread. I'm doing this on a bit of a budget (I'd like to get the bones of a nice system, then get it operational, and then upgrade it as time goes on) so I'm trying to go with the smallest freezer that I can get and still meet my goals.

Old 01-14-2013, 03:16 AM   #50
thadius856

Recipes 

Hey, no worries.

Personally, I'd have a hard time picking two beers that I like that are both available in 1/2 bbl and that I like enough to drink 1/2 bbl of. The only reason I'd go with a 1/2 bbl personally was if I was throwing a party and I didn't have the lead time to make up the equivalent batches of Cream Ale.

That said, I did go through a lot of BMC and malt liquor in college.

Quick Reply