Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Bottling/Kegging > Chest Freezer Specs and Layouts

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-13-2013, 12:25 AM   #291
Justdrumin
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 29 Times on 25 Posts
Likes Given: 3

I just received my tall skinny 7# co2 tank from beverage elements today, $40 shipped : ) Anyways I have the 7.0 cuft Magic Chef which will most definitely fit six ball locks with no room for the normal co2 tank, but I found this one which fits GREAT!!!

image.jpg  

Primary:
Secondary:
Bottled:
Kegged: House APA, Vienna Lager
Future: Kaiser Alt, Oktoberfest Lager, Maple Pecan Porter, House Amber Ale, BierMunchers Centennial Blonde, Yoopers Fizzy Yellow Beer.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-13-2013, 12:30 AM   #292
Justdrumin
Recipes 

Liked 29 Times on 25 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Here it is outside the keezer. It obviously needs a collar, hopefully I can build it soon.

image.jpg  

Primary:
Secondary:
Bottled:
Kegged: House APA, Vienna Lager
Future: Kaiser Alt, Oktoberfest Lager, Maple Pecan Porter, House Amber Ale, BierMunchers Centennial Blonde, Yoopers Fizzy Yellow Beer.

Old 12-29-2013, 07:37 PM   #293
raymadigan
M+ Brewing
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 11 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 10

I am looking for a freezer for a fermentation chamber, I currently have the Frigidaire 8.8 cu ft which I will turn into my keezer. I do 3 gallon batches in better bottles and I can't keep up with 6 fermenting at the same time. The depth I need is the restriction that keeps me from just going out to get one this afternoon. I need a 16 inch depth, the bottles are 7.5 inch square and I use 1 inch insulation between the bottles.

I noticed that you don't have a drawing set for the Haier 7.1cf HCM071AW and I think it is the same as the Idylis 7-cu ft Chest Freezer. I read the spec and it has a depth of 23 which typically means it is 16 inches deep. I am going to lowes this afternoon to measure it and wonder if you would like the measurements? I need 16x16 inches on the floor, I hope I can make this one work or I'm not sure what I will do. I've seen them as low as 180.

Old 12-29-2013, 08:13 PM   #294
thadius856
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 602 Times on 250 Posts
Likes Given: 155

Quote:
Originally Posted by raymadigan View Post
I am looking for a freezer for a fermentation chamber, I currently have the Frigidaire 8.8 cu ft which I will turn into my keezer. I do 3 gallon batches in better bottles and I can't keep up with 6 fermenting at the same time. The depth I need is the restriction that keeps me from just going out to get one this afternoon. I need a 16 inch depth, the bottles are 7.5 inch square and I use 1 inch insulation between the bottles.

I noticed that you don't have a drawing set for the Haier 7.1cf HCM071AW and I think it is the same as the Idylis 7-cu ft Chest Freezer. I read the spec and it has a depth of 23 which typically means it is 16 inches deep. I am going to lowes this afternoon to measure it and wonder if you would like the measurements? I need 16x16 inches on the floor, I hope I can make this one work or I'm not sure what I will do. I've seen them as low as 180.
Would love measurements! See Post #2 for details on what I'd need specifically.

Thadius Miller, Project Manager -> RaspberryPints

Before you build a keezer, look at this!
Chest Freezer Spec Sheets and Layout Drawings (15 models and counting)

Old 12-29-2013, 09:30 PM   #295
raymadigan
M+ Brewing
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 11 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 10

It won't work for me, it is only 15.25 inches deep, I guess they used a bigger hinge or something because the depth of the unit is only 21 inches.

The dimensions of the inside are

width: 31.5 inches
depth: 15.25 inches. There is a little plastic lip on both sides at the top it is 15 inches
height: 27 inches

the hump measurements are

width: 7.5 inches
height: 9.5 inches

The floor is 24x15.25

It seems all of the smaller freezers have a smaller depth, argh. The only one that would have worked is the Frigidaire 7.2 cu ft that is out of production for some reason.

Old 12-30-2013, 02:51 AM   #296
thadius856

Recipes 

Yep, that's what I figured.

The Danby 8.8 is approximately the same width as the 7 cf class, but wider.

Using the 1/2 bbl keg count as a guideline might help. It's 15.75" dia, IIRC (too lazy to look it up right now).

Old 01-11-2014, 08:07 PM   #297
thadius856

Recipes 

I guess I never posted here to give an update. Oh well.

I used to ferment two 6.5 gal buckets in my GE 7.0 FCM7SUWW. Then I went to stacking two layers of buckets, for a total of 20 gallons fermenting. With a 1x10 collar, the top row has to use

However, that freezer (and many others) are capable of much, much larger volumes, rivaling conicals in capacity. Here's how I fit 40 gallons of fermentation space into this 7 cu ft freezer.

First, build a platform. This is important both to be able to utilize the hump and to raise the fermenters up (more on this later). Since the hump in this model is 9.25", I built a lattice of 2x10, screwed it together, and tossed a piece of plywood all the way across the freezer.

Then I bought two 80# Vittles Vault containers. These are growing in popularity as fermenters. Here's how one fits (picture taken before the platform was lowered in).

You need to be able to get the beer out without having to lift all that weight out of the keezer. How? Siphon it out. A hands free method is best, such as this.

Acquire a 1/4" MFL bulkhead, some swivel nuts, nylon gas washers, etc. Drill a hole, install it, and use diptube o-rings for gaskets.

To siphon out, build a T-siphon (Google or search this forum for a $3 build thread). Connect the t-siphon to the outside of the lid. On the inside, connect a Cask Widge with an appropriate length of tubing. Open the lid slightly to prevent a vacuum, and start the siphon. I siphon directly into corny kegs.

This is ideal for me because I can cold crash for 2 days before kegging and siphon directly off, hands-free, with no chance of accidentally stirring up yeast or trub.

You'll need the freezer on a platform or wheels so that the bottom of the "shelf" you built is taller than the 5-gallon mark on a corny keg, otherwise the siphon will stop before the fermenter is empty.

There you have it. 40 gallons of fermenter space in a 7 cu ft freezer.

BTW, I use a 15.5" collar on the freezer now. Just had the guy at Home Depot slice it into 15.5" strips, then cut it to length and assembled it at home.

Edit: More pictures, this time the siphoning that's going on as I type this.

Yeah they say two thousand, zero zero, party over, oops, out of sight.

Old 01-13-2014, 02:48 AM   #298
day_trippr
Recipes 

Liked 1387 Times on 1119 Posts

fyi, I recently replaced a 10cf chest freezer with the Frigidaire 13.0 cu ft LFCH13M2MW (also found as FFCH13M2MW) and found that without a collar it will hold 7 ball lock kegs comfortably, but it's just the tiniest bit too tight to fit the eighth. Looking at the top-down "no collar" view in the database either one of the middle kegs will fit, but not both.

Not a problem for me as I have a six faucet t-style tower which is plenty, and I have a separate 4-keg cold conditioning/carbonation fridge. But for anyone looking for 8 kegs on the floor without a collar you'll need to go up to the next larger class chest freezer to make that work.

Also, fwiw, the energy usage metered over a week with a Kil-O-Watt works out to 11 cents per day @ 15 cents/KWH...

Cheers!

Old 01-17-2014, 09:05 PM   #299
ajandrs
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by thadius856 View Post
Kenmore 8.8 cu ft 16922

Download this specification sheet and layout as a high-resolution printable PDF at Dropbox.

First, thanks to you Thad for this incredible resource ... can't imagine how many people this has helped!!

In regards to this Kenmore 8.8 CF freezer, maybe it's just the crack I smoked earlier but it looks like the data summary doesn't match the CAD drawings. It's listed as allowing a max of 4 ball locks on the floor (with or w/o collar) but the CAD drawings show 6 on the floor. Am I missing something or has the long work week taken it's toll on my eyes and mind?

Old 01-18-2014, 02:01 AM   #300
thadius856

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajandrs View Post
First, thanks to you Thad for this incredible resource ... can't imagine how many people this has helped!!

In regards to this Kenmore 8.8 CF freezer, maybe it's just the crack I smoked earlier but it looks like the data summary doesn't match the CAD drawings. It's listed as allowing a max of 4 ball locks on the floor (with or w/o collar) but the CAD drawings show 6 on the floor. Am I missing something or has the long work week taken it's toll on my eyes and mind?
This was pointed out in a previous post. It's a typo. 6 fit on the floor.

4-on-the-floor is a 7 cu ft class.

Quick Reply