Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway - Enter Now!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Bottling/Kegging > Chest Freezer Specs and Layouts

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-18-2013, 03:30 PM   #181
Calman2k
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

I'm hoping someone can help me here. The mfg is being completely useless. My company is moving to a new building and my manager offered me a 21 cuft Kenmore chest freezer or a 5 cuft chest freezer. I can fit 3 kegs in the small one, and a crazy amount in the big one. My real problem comes in the temp control. The small one is easy since I can just use a temp controller. However, for the big one there is a digital control on the lid. Does anyone know if the digital control will maintain the set temp if unplugged and plugged back in? Will repeated power cycles from a temp controller damage the digital controls? Or did I get lucky and I can set the digital control to refrigerator temps?
Any help you guys might be able to provide would be appreciated.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-18-2013, 03:50 PM   #182
zachattack
Recipes 

Liked 234 Times on 202 Posts
Likes Given: 124

I would start a new thread for that. The only problem I see is that the digital thermostat might have a built in compressor delay already, so you'll need to plan accordingly. But otherwise it shouldn't be any different from an analog thermostat.

Old 07-23-2013, 04:38 PM   #183
Calman2k
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

That was something I hadn't considered. I think this is getting too complicated I think I'll just stick with the also free smaller one. I figured I can get 3 kegs in there with a collar (which I wanted to do anyway). I'm not planning on owning more than 4 or 5 kegs anyway. 3 in the keezer and 1 or 2 aging.

Old 07-24-2013, 01:06 PM   #184
hbrookie
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 4 Posts

Calman, I wouldn't worry about any built in delay. Any delay it has won't be that long. Even it resets the temp every on/off cycle, as long as it's reset to "cold enough" it won't matter (and it should be calling for at least 32 degrees - it's a freezer). The only concern that I'd have would be that you could burn out the controls. Depending on how it's set up, that could mean "always on" or "always off". If it defaults to on, you're good. The secondary controller you install will take care of it. If it's off, you have a really big doorstop full of beer.

Old 07-24-2013, 01:57 PM   #185
thadius856
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 545 Times on 248 Posts
Likes Given: 155

Quote:
Originally Posted by hbrookie View Post
Calman, I wouldn't worry about any built in delay. Any delay it has won't be that long. Even it resets the temp every on/off cycle, as long as it's reset to "cold enough" it won't matter (and it should be calling for at least 32 degrees - it's a freezer). The only concern that I'd have would be that you could burn out the controls. Depending on how it's set up, that could mean "always on" or "always off". If it defaults to on, you're good. The secondary controller you install will take care of it. If it's off, you have a really big doorstop full of beer.
Freezers are typically built to fail into the "on" position.

It's much more beneficial for the motor to run for a day or two before somebody notices, rather than to turn off and let hundreds or thousands of dollars of food thaw/melt.

Either way, why not just use an external controller? No wiring necessary.

Thadius Miller, Project Manager -> RaspberryPints

Before you build a keezer, look at this!
Chest Freezer Spec Sheets and Layout Drawings (15 models and counting)
rayhat Likes This 
Old 07-25-2013, 12:52 PM   #186
rayhat
Recipes 

Likes Given: 2

Hey Thadius there should be some kind of prize for all the fantastic work you did here. Any one building a keezer should have to see this thread before they start.

Old 07-25-2013, 08:25 PM   #187
thadius856
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 545 Times on 248 Posts
Likes Given: 155

'Like' button is enough for me.

Still making these drawings and layouts, if I'm provided measurements.

Just tebuilt my computer into a real monster. Should be way more pleasant to use AutoCAD now.

Thadius Miller, Project Manager -> RaspberryPints

Before you build a keezer, look at this!
Chest Freezer Spec Sheets and Layout Drawings (15 models and counting)
People Like This 
Old 07-28-2013, 02:13 AM   #188
erikrocks
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 14 Times on 12 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Anyone else using the Frigidaire 14.9? I can only get 7 ball locks in.

Old 07-28-2013, 01:24 PM   #189
hbrookie
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 4 Posts

Erik, it sounds like you have pin lock kegs that have been converted to ball lock. Pin locks are 4 inches shorter but 1/2 inch bigger around. That 1/2 inch makes all the difference in the world. Based on thads drawings, you could probably squeeze 1 more in there if the basket guides aren't getting in the way.

Old 07-28-2013, 01:26 PM   #190
TBaGZ
Recipes 

Liked 30 Times on 23 Posts
Likes Given: 90

So if I am reading this right a 7 3/4 collar is minimum collar height to put a ball lock on the hump of the GE 7cuft. Does that leave enough room for the connections and lines?

Quick Reply