New Giveaway - Wort Monster Conical Fermenter!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Bottling/Kegging > Chest Freezer Specs and Layouts

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-21-2013, 05:00 PM   #151
tonyp063
BOFH
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 43 Times on 15 Posts
Likes Given: 18

Quote:
Originally Posted by zachattack View Post
It's already been measured and drawn up! Very popular keezer, I have one myself.
Well how did I miss that? I swear I looked at the listings before I posted.
Ah well.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-24-2013, 04:17 PM   #152
Bradster
Recipes 

Hi All,

Sorry if I am stepping on anyone's toes here, but does anyone make these for sale? I have been thinking about doing this for quite some time and I just stumbled on this awesome forum today. I was thinking about buying some GE 5 and 7 cu ft models and filling them with everything needed except for the beer so it would be really simple for someone to switch from bottling to kegging. I figure that if I can buy in quantity that I could sell them for about what people could do getting parts. I would offer them in white or black (a little more as I would have to paint them). These would be without the collar with a tap tower and a drain for the grate that also would be stored in the keezer. Do you see any potential here or is someone else doing this?

The ones I see just seem too expensive...

Thanks,

Bradster

Old 06-30-2013, 02:33 PM   #153
Yesfan
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 40 Times on 35 Posts
Likes Given: 124

For those with the GE 7.0 cuft freezer (the FCM7SUWW), do you have to shoe horn that fourth ball lock in or does it slide easily in place? I only have three empty ball locks but when I move one of them in the 4th's position, the compressor hump's in the way.

On another note, for those using the stackable 2.5 gallon kegs from Adventures in Homebrewing, you're going to have to have a small collar as they are just high enough for the lid to not clear.

Can't wait to get this puppy converted!

Kegged: Petite Saison d'Ete, Black IPA (1G), Kiwi Express IPA,. Dead Ringer IPA

Old 06-30-2013, 02:47 PM   #154
thadius856

Recipes 

Liked 469 Times on 233 Posts
Likes Given: 155

Both of my GE 7.0cf FCM7SUWW's required shoe-horning. But not so much that it required me to cause a dent in the hump or anything.

If you want an easier fit, you'll need to rasp down the rubber on the molded portion of the kegs a little bit. It makes an incredible difference.

Thadius Miller, Project Manager -> RaspberryPints

Before you build a keezer, look at this!
Chest Freezer Spec Sheets and Layout Drawings (15 models and counting)

Old 06-30-2013, 03:06 PM   #155
Yesfan

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by thadius856 View Post
Both of my GE 7.0cf FCM7SUWW's required shoe-horning. But not so much that it required me to cause a dent in the hump or anything.

If you want an easier fit, you'll need to rasp down the rubber on the molded portion of the kegs a little bit. It makes an incredible difference.
Thanks, that makes me feel better. I'll give that a try. I wonder if you can just take the rubber off. I'm sure it isn't easy, but if just the bottoms are removed, how much easier it would be.

Old 06-30-2013, 03:31 PM   #156
thadius856

Recipes 

Liked 469 Times on 233 Posts
Likes Given: 155

Noooo! Kegs have a round bottom. They'd fall over any time they weren't packed together inside the keezer. Like, say, when you're filling or washing them. Plus, you'll destroy any resale value if you ever want to get out of brewing.

The rasp is definitely the way to go. Take off 1/16" to 1/18" all the way around and it makes a huge difference. Look at the side of the keg... you can see where the rubber bulges outward. This is because of the process by which they add the vulcanized rubber. Other than manufacturing limitations, there's no good reason to keep it.

Thadius Miller, Project Manager -> RaspberryPints

Before you build a keezer, look at this!
Chest Freezer Spec Sheets and Layout Drawings (15 models and counting)

Old 06-30-2013, 04:29 PM   #157
Yesfan

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by thadius856 View Post
Noooo! Kegs have a round bottom. They'd fall over any time they weren't packed together inside the keezer. Like, say, when you're filling or washing them. Plus, you'll destroy any resale value if you ever want to get out of brewing.

The rasp is definitely the way to go. Take off 1/16" to 1/18" all the way around and it makes a huge difference. Look at the side of the keg... you can see where the rubber bulges outward. This is because of the process by which they add the vulcanized rubber. Other than manufacturing limitations, there's no good reason to keep it.

Ok, rasp it is. I gotta hit Home Depot later today anyways, so I'll pick up one.

Old 07-01-2013, 01:17 AM   #158
raymadigan
M+ Brewing
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yesfan View Post
For those with the GE 7.0 cuft freezer (the FCM7SUWW)

For those using the stackable 2.5 gallon kegs from Adventures in Homebrewing, you're going to have to have a small collar as they are just high enough for the lid to not clear.

Can't wait to get this puppy converted!
I am looking at using this freezer and the 2.5 gallon kegs. I am away from home for the week, do you k.ow if the freezer can hold 8 of these kegs? The add says they are 9 inches in diameter, and the pin lock kegs are 8 7/8 inches and 4 of these barely fit. I am hoping to not have to go to the 9 cu ft freezer.

Old 07-01-2013, 02:12 AM   #159
Yesfan

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by raymadigan View Post
I am looking at using this freezer and the 2.5 gallon kegs. I am away from home for the week, do you k.ow if the freezer can hold 8 of these kegs? The add says they are 9 inches in diameter, and the pin lock kegs are 8 7/8 inches and 4 of these barely fit. I am hoping to not have to go to the 9 cu ft freezer.
Yeah, it will hold 8 but you'll need a big collar as one stack will be on the hump. You can put 3 on the floor and one on the hump. I measured and took some pics. You'll need a 9" collar as a pair of 2.5s stacked is about 4 " taller than a standard corny.

If you can get away with just running a single on the hump, or 7 total, then all you would need is about an extra inch or two of space to clear the stacks on the floor.

I only have two of those kegs (I have 4 more coming in August), but this should still give you an idea of the floor space they take up.

Hope this helps.

Old 07-01-2013, 03:15 PM   #160
raymadigan
M+ Brewing
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yesfan View Post
Yeah, it will hold 8 but you'll need a big collar as one stack will be on the hump. You can put 3 on the floor and one on the hump. I measured and took some pics. You'll need a 9" collar as a pair of 2.5s stacked is about 4 " taller than a standard corny.

Hope this helps.
Thank you so much, now I have one of those really hard decisions.

At first a 9 inch collar doesn't seem bad, the taps and the drain trays could be easily mounted on the collar making it easy to fix them to the keezer. The problem is, I can't build a 9 inch collar, and I don't think I ever saw one that big. My saw can't miter a piece that big and making it out of two boards will just come out well, I am not that good with wood.

I brew in 2.5 gallon batches, as many as 6 at a time, so I don't think that 7 will be enough.

I'm considering the Frigidaire 8.8cf which I think I can hold 10 2.5 gallon kegs, or 8 and some stuff. All I can hope to do is convince the wife that its worth the extra $100.

Quick Reply