Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway - Enter Now!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Bottling/Kegging > Chest Freezer Specs and Layouts

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-16-2013, 05:34 AM   #141
brewman !
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 14 Times on 13 Posts
Likes Given: 16

Quote:
Originally Posted by thadius856 View Post
Well, all of these measurements are given on my drawings and in the spec sheets I provide.
With all due respect, I did not see dimensions for units with the lids (and hinges) removed.

Quote:
You won't get anything larger than an 8.8 cf model through a 27" doorway. At that point, you're looking at 41" in length.
Well... after much research I purchased a Whirlpool EH151FXTQ this week from Home Depot. I took delivery of it today.

I purchased this model because I thought it to be same as or very similar to the Maytag MQC1552TEW, which I covet for the small sized compressor hump it possesses.

http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f35/chest-freezer-specs-layouts-377518/index3.html#post4731064

I was not able to view this model prior to purchasing it. From what I understand, the Maytag model of this freezer is no longer produced. I deduced that that the Whirlpool model was either very similar to or identical to the Maytag model based on a comparison of dimensions and the fact that Whirlpool purchased Maytag.

Your online post of the specs of this model as well as the information from Home Depot lead me to believe it was 29 3/8" wide. I thought the hinges on these sort of refrigerators to be a bit less than 2" wide, making it about 27.5" wide with the lid removed. Too wide to fit through the door of our pantry.

Upon receipt, I measured the width of the freezer itself to be 27 inches ! It appears to me that the unit is 29 3/8" wide including the hinges and the fact the door handle protrudes a small distance from the front of the unit. When the lid is removed, the unit itself is almost exactly 27" wide.

I was able to easily place this unit in our pantry by simply removing the lid. There was about 1/8" of clearance on either side as it went through the doorway.

So apparently at least one freezer in the 15 cubic foot class will fit through a door a tiny bit larger than 27".

I took a picture of it going through the doorway. I'll post it someday when I have time.

Quote:
Note that most kitchen countertop heights are usually 36-37" from top of working surface to flooring. The 8.8 cf model with no wheels or frame will come in at 34½" tall. However, with cabinets above it, you'll likely need it on wheels (so you can pull it forward) to fully open the lid without striking the cabinets, and that's going to get you into the 42"+ tall range once you add in a basic 2x4 base with castors. I really think you'd be better off with wire shelving or something above it, but it's your choice. It'd be hard to get cornys in/out without being able to fully open the lid and let it rest in that position.
I am a very capable fabricator. The pantry setup is entirely custom, including the wall cabinets that will be sitting above my kegerator. I'll gladly post how I end up arranging the room to make it work. Given the pantry has a 9 foot ceiling and the wall cabinets are 36" high, there is plenty of height to play with to make it work.

Quote:
As for the doorway. If you're the homeowner, you'd be pleasantly surprised how easy it is to expand a doorway to 30". Most experienced DIYers could tear out the old door casing, remove the door, re-frame and enlargen the header, install a new door and casing, and have it functional in a day's work. Add another day or two to patch and paint drywall. Just an idea.
I just spent the last 9 weeks working full time with an employee renovating our house. We are presently in the painting stage, hoping to move into the house before the end of the month.

It is not nearly as easy to replace a door as you make it out to be.

First of all, if the house is somewhat aged or has unique styling, it can be very difficult to find a door that matches the rest of the doors in the house. This is doubly so if it is a stained door as not only do you have to match the look of the door, you also need to match the wood and the stain, both for the door and the casing. This can be very complicated.

Then you get to the wall/door framing itself. There are many issues here.

- When you widen the dooway, you'll need to patch the flooring in the door way to match the wider width of the new door.

-There are issues with having to move the stud and the jack stud on each side of the door. These studs generally run to the ceiling. To get at them, you are generally going to need to remove a bit of ceiling drywall and then you have a ceiling patch (and paint) as well as patching the walls on both sides of the door in and out of the room.

If the light switch is placed close to the doorway, it will need to be moved as well.

All this assumes that there is room for a larger door in the first place. Generally most doors are going to be larger than 27 inches to start with. Generally there is a reason that such a small door was used in the first place. This was the case with our pantry door.

We were not prepared to replace the entire door to get the freezer into our pantry. What we were prepared to do was remove the door, casings and door frame temporarily, move the freezer in and then replace them once it was in.

This plan was based on the advice of my employee who has been doing renovations for about 20 years. It is much, much simpler than framing in a new wider door and you'll probably gain 1.5" on each side of the door, temporarily transforming a 27" doorway into a 30 inch doorway.

Luckily we didn't have to resort to doing that.

Getting back into brewing...

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-16-2013, 07:01 AM   #142
brewman !
Recipes 

Liked 14 Times on 13 Posts
Likes Given: 16

I forgot to mention that the Whirlpool EH151FXTQ does have the small compressor hump. It appears to be the same layout as the Maytag 14.8, but I have not confirmed that yet. No interior light nor power indictor light though.

I really appreciate the work you put into organizing all this information. I would have never found my freezer were it not for the specs that you posted in this thread.

Getting back into brewing...

Old 05-16-2013, 12:13 PM   #143
Fordzilla
Recipes 

Liked 26 Times on 24 Posts
Likes Given: 34

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fordzilla View Post

I bought this freezer a couple weeks ago and got 5 ball lock cornys this weekend. Still trying to locate a sixth, but I don't think it's going to fit. I will post back once I get one but I have tried turning them and I don't think it's going to work. I read the explanation in the FAQ about the 8 3/8" diameter but I guess mine aren't skewed enough for that haha.

Even if I can't fit 6 kegs, 5 taps with such a small freezer is awesome and I greatly appreciate all the work you've put into this thadius856!
This freezer will most definitely not fit 6 ball locks. I did manage to get them in there last night but that required me to JAM them in there really hard. I could barely get them out and I scuffed up the inside of the freezer and the top inner trim pretty bad in the process. I would hate to do that with full kegs, and every time one kicks. 5 and a CO2 tank should be a pretty comfortable fit.

Old 05-16-2013, 01:08 PM   #144
thadius856
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 543 Times on 247 Posts
Likes Given: 155

Quote:
Originally Posted by brewman ! View Post
I really appreciate the work you put into organizing all this information. I would have never found my freezer were it not for the specs that you posted in this thread.
Cool. Do post pics. The Maytag is still manufactured and available in most Home Depot locations, as well as on the website for ship to store. And if you find the time, I'd love measurements of it so I can add it, or confirmation that its an exact match. FWIW, I was also disappointed the Mayatg doesn't have a power LED too, but I don't miss the lid light.

As for the Kenmore, can you guys post measurements (interior LxW and hump size)? I redid the drawing and with what I have been provided, it still fits easily. Since the layouts work for every other model I could find, I think its got to be bad measurements of that model.

Thadius Miller, Project Manager -> RaspberryPints

Before you build a keezer, look at this!
Chest Freezer Spec Sheets and Layout Drawings (15 models and counting)

Old 05-17-2013, 10:16 AM   #145
bfarinella
Recipes 

Do you think it would be possible to fit a 1/4 Tall keg in the Maytag 14.8cf MQC1552TEW if the CO2 is outside the freezer?

Old 05-17-2013, 11:57 AM   #146
m3n00b
Recipes 

Liked 147 Times on 112 Posts
Likes Given: 70

Great info in this thread!!

Old 05-17-2013, 12:46 PM   #147
thadius856
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 543 Times on 247 Posts
Likes Given: 155

Quote:
Originally Posted by bfarinella View Post
Do you think it would be possible to fit a 1/4 Tall keg in the Maytag 14.8cf MQC1552TEW if the CO2 is outside the freezer?
Certainly.

In fact, it could fit two 1/2 bbl kegs, plus a 5#CO2 cylinder on the hump... all without a collar.

Thadius Miller, Project Manager -> RaspberryPints

Before you build a keezer, look at this!
Chest Freezer Spec Sheets and Layout Drawings (15 models and counting)

Old 06-21-2013, 02:44 PM   #148
tonyp063
BOFH
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 43 Times on 15 Posts
Likes Given: 19

Just ordered the GE 7.0 cu. ft. Chest Freezer ( FCM7SUWW )
Home Despot has a great sale this weekend $168 plus tax. free delivery

Once it's delivered I'll provide measurements

Old 06-21-2013, 02:49 PM   #149
m3n00b
Recipes 

Liked 147 Times on 112 Posts
Likes Given: 70

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonyp063 View Post

I've been thinking about picking up the same thing.

Old 06-21-2013, 03:35 PM   #150
zachattack
Recipes 

Liked 233 Times on 201 Posts
Likes Given: 122

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonyp063 View Post

It's already been measured and drawn up! Very popular keezer, I have one myself.

http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f35/chest-freezer-specs-layouts-377518/index2.html#post4731051

Quick Reply