Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Bottling/Kegging > Chest Freezer Kegerator Conversion Project

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-18-2007, 02:28 AM   #21
Catfish
Art by David Shrigley
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 13 Times on 3 Posts

Very nice work. It is nice to see a kegerator put together well, I will be copying some of the finer points like having the collar flush with the freezer body and handles attatched to the lid. Well crafted.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-18-2007, 04:09 AM   #22
Bobby_M
Vendor and Brewer
HBT_SPONSOR.png
Vendor Ads 
Feedback Score: 2 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 1076 Times on 716 Posts
Likes Given: 28

In editing, I started wondering if I was overexplaing what I was doing. I need some feedback on the level of detail so I can adjust for part two.

Chugger Pumps, Pump Kits, Camlocks, Sightglasses, Clear USA made Silicone Tubing, RIMS, Electric Install Parts, etc. Did you know we are also now a full service homebrew shop selling malt, hops, yeast (Wyeast), etc?

Old 04-18-2007, 01:59 PM   #23
Jester369
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 121 Times on 96 Posts
Likes Given: 3

I think it is going to depend on the viewer. For myself, I'm pretty handy and could figure it out on my own if need be, but some people need more guidance. However, you kept the pace moving along and it never got tiresome watching. That wasn't very helpful feedback, was it?

Old 04-18-2007, 02:30 PM   #24
sirsloop
Recipes 

Liked 17 Times on 15 Posts
Likes Given: 1

agreed... I'm a resourceful guy so showing the "drill cam" while you pull a couple already loosened screws out is just kinda dead time. I liked it more towards the end of the second movie where you just explained what you did and cut to the next section. You could have gone into detail about how you put those corner cleats on the lit...showed using the router and all that fun stuff. I think most people taking on a project like this have used a router or at least know that you used one to make that kinda cut, so it would be pointless to add that detail.

~~~~~~~_/_______| |____NOW TRIPLE HOPPED______|~~~~~~~~~~
~~~___/[_]| 00 /| | \,,,/\,,,/\,,,/\,,,/\,,,/ |~~~~~~~~~~
~~|___|___|___/_| |___________________________|~~~~~~~~~~
~~|=(*)[________]==(*)(*)=| \________/=(*)(*)=|~~~~~~~~~~

Old 04-18-2007, 03:19 PM   #25
Bobby_M
Vendor and Brewer
HBT_SPONSOR.png
Vendor Ads 

Recipes 

Also note that I avoided shooting anything that requires two hands. JD, I'm gonna have to get you over as my camera man in the future.

Chugger Pumps, Pump Kits, Camlocks, Sightglasses, Clear USA made Silicone Tubing, RIMS, Electric Install Parts, etc. Did you know we are also now a full service homebrew shop selling malt, hops, yeast (Wyeast), etc?

Old 04-18-2007, 03:39 PM   #26
sirsloop
Recipes 

Liked 17 Times on 15 Posts
Likes Given: 1

possible...maybe on a week night...my schedule just got PACKED now that i'm shooting every weekend...

You have a tripod?

~~~~~~~_/_______| |____NOW TRIPLE HOPPED______|~~~~~~~~~~
~~~___/[_]| 00 /| | \,,,/\,,,/\,,,/\,,,/\,,,/ |~~~~~~~~~~
~~|___|___|___/_| |___________________________|~~~~~~~~~~
~~|=(*)[________]==(*)(*)=| \________/=(*)(*)=|~~~~~~~~~~

Old 04-18-2007, 04:39 PM   #27
jdoiv

Recipes 

Loved the videos. I don't think you over explained anything. I'm not super at wood work so some of the tips you gave I thought were very helpful (like how to use the hole saw going through both sides to avoid ripping up the wood).

Question for you though. Instead of doing the cleats on the corners, would a couple of 90* angles work on each corner? I'm thinking this would be an easier solution for me. I'll use my neighbor's miter saw to make the 45* cuts and the angles to connect and brace the corners (along with some carpenters glue and silicon).

Fermenting:
Planning:

Old 04-18-2007, 05:13 PM   #28
Bobby_M
Vendor and Brewer
HBT_SPONSOR.png
Vendor Ads 

Recipes 

Yeah, I don't see any reason some corner brackets wouldn't work out. You might have to drill some new holes in them so that you get a screw in the metal skin of the lid and not into just the foam. To be honest, I didn't use them for the simple fact that it would require another trip to Lowes and I had some scrap laying around. It might have taken me LESS time to go buy some hardware rather than fabricate the cleats and mortise them into the collar. Oh well, I AM trying to justify buying a router table and bits a while back.

Old 04-20-2007, 01:40 AM   #29
attitude

Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Just got my9.0 CU chest freezer from best buy. Finally get to mount my take on jester's draft tower. will post pics tommorrow. I can fit 4 cornies and a 15# CO2 tank, plus room for bottles and i don't have to make a collar.

Old 04-20-2007, 02:30 PM   #30
BierMuncher
...My Junk is Ugly...
HBT_MODERATOR.png

Recipes 

Liked 613 Times on 355 Posts
Likes Given: 231

Hey Bobby,

You mentioned trimming the wood collar with quarter round? I'm not familiar with trim that is that small that it can cover and "smooth" the outside corners of joined wood or the length of a piece of lumber.

Can you elaborate a bit on what exactly it was and where (in Lowes or HD) you get that type of trim? Is it an applicay (sp) stick on?

Thanks.

Check Out My Rolling Kegerator

BierMuncher Tried & Trues:
Tits-Up IIPA (3-Time Medalist), Black Pearl Porter, Kona Pale Ale, Outer Limits IPA, Centennial Blonde (4.0%), Nierra Sevada (SNPA), SWMBO Slayer Belgian Blonde,

Quick Reply