The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Bottling/Kegging > Cheapest regulator vs expensive

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-02-2013, 02:39 PM   #11
orion7144
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 31 Times on 27 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by thargrav View Post
Your high pressure gauge pressure won't start dropping until there is not any liquid left in the tank & it's only good for letting you know the tank needs filled. To catch a slow leak you need to weigh your CO2 tank on a digital scale at the end of the day & then before drawing another beer the next day, weigh it again. If the weight has dropped slightly then you have a slow leak.
It for sure will help in finding stubborn leaks on or in the regulator. Close all valves and the tank valve and if it drops over a little time then there is a leak on the high side. The low pressure gauges "should" stay at whatever pressure you set them to if there are not any leaks on your valves/barbs to the kegs.

The best thing to do when first hooking the regulator to the bottle is pressurize everything then shut off all the valves. This will tell you if your regulator connections are leak tight. Then pressurize the lines to the ball or pin locks (not connected to kegs) and shut the tank off. If the low pressure gauge starts going down you have a LP leak which are easier to find with soapy water.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-02-2013, 02:40 PM   #12
thargrav
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 38 Times on 35 Posts
Likes Given: 2

The best way to monitor the amount of CO2 in your tank is to weigh the tank.

All CO2 tanks have what's called a head stamp somewhere around the top. The head stamp is a long chain of letters & numbers that include things like the date of manufacture, manufacturer, etc. And included in the head stamp is the tare weight - the weight of the tank empty.

Read through the head stamp until you see the characters 'TW'. The numbers right after are the weight of the tank empty. Add 0.3 pounds for the valve assembly and you have the prroximate weight of the tank empty. Now all you need to do is weigh your tank & subtract this number from the total weight and you have the amount of CO2 left in your CO2 tank.

Or if you want to know the amount left with your CO2 regulator attached, weigh your empty tank with the CO2 regulator attached & write it down. Then subtract this number from the total weight to get the amount of CO2 left in your CO2 tank.

Old 02-02-2013, 02:52 PM   #13
atreid
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 45 Times on 37 Posts
Likes Given: 17

Quote:
Originally Posted by deadpool76 View Post
It's only my opinion and you can do whatever you want.
Did you ever notice people always doing exactly what you say if you don't specify that? If I had your special powers I would rule the earth!

When a girl wants to sleep with you, do you ever get tired of not knowing if she's there for you or just because of your special powers?

Just checking if I have those powers too, I'm not going to ask you to do whatever you want and check if you do what I say, confirming that I have special powers or not. Ok there you go:

You will feel the urge to respond and tell me I'm an a s s . Ok, Go!

Old 02-02-2013, 04:29 PM   #14
JuanMoore
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 3196 Times on 3101 Posts
Likes Given: 18

Quote:
Originally Posted by thargrav View Post
The only way to monitor the amount of CO2 in your tank is to weigh the tank.
Fixed.

Yuri rubs it out with 60 grit... wouldn't even feel a tenga egg. -Randar

, place entry ox dixla to suck. Fcxk fwnpoo and passed. Hel an my spupid ass. OK. - TXCrash

Quick Reply