New Giveaway - Wort Monster Conical Fermeneter!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Bottling/Kegging > Cheapest regulator vs expensive

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-31-2013, 07:30 PM   #1
JONNYROTTEN
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts

Default Cheapest regulator vs expensive

Looking for a regulator is there a difference in quality between the more expensive ones and cheap ones,if so does it really make a difference.(apples to apples one gauge two gauge ect..).Do I need a two gauge with a 20# tank?I here the tank will last a LONG time.

also,If you have a reg on the cheap let me know,Thanks
Ill put something in FS

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-31-2013, 08:41 PM   #2
deadpool76
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Expensive regulators are servicable i.e: Parts are available to make repairs and have better quality standards. Cheap ones have to be replace alltogether if they are defective and may not all hold pressure steadily.

A High pressure gauge is always a good thing to have and not a big expense over the price of the whole setup. It's nice to know when to refill the tank in advance, instead of finding out Sunday afternoon during the big game.

It's only my opinion and you can do whatever you want.

Old 01-31-2013, 08:49 PM   #3
libeerty
Feedback Score: 5 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 101 Times on 67 Posts
Likes Given: 42

A 20# tank should last you 1.5-2 years or so, so I'm not sure if knowing exactly when it is empty is reason enough. You can always weigh it from time to time, too, so you know when you are getting close. (The empty tank weight is on your tank, so add 20# and you know the full weight.) That said, there are other reasons, like if you want to carbonate kegs at different PSIs. I think that is neat, but personally, I'm not super picky. I carb and serve everything at ~8 PSI. So, summary: up to you.

Tried to keep up with this signature, but just couldn't.

Old 01-31-2013, 08:55 PM   #4
deadpool76
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Also a high pressure gauge can give you an indication of a slow leak.

Old 01-31-2013, 10:55 PM   #5
Zubius
Recipes 

Liked 15 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 7

I received a "cheap" regulator, chrome plated with 2 gauges about 2 weeks ago as a gift. It was hooked up for 2 days before I replaced it with a quality set up. The low side(regulated) was set to 12psi, within 10 minutes it jumped to 25psi then back down to 4 psi 5 minutes later. Adjustments were difficult to make, almost felt like sand grinding in there..

Save your cash and buy something decent, or I can send you my old one for the cost of shipping (not really, it's going in the trash)...

Old 02-01-2013, 12:05 AM   #6
justsome1
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Yup, cheap regulators are just that, CHEAP. I just replaced my dual gauge regulator today and what an improvement. The one I ordered online NEW because it was a few $$ cheaper ended up being a joke. Gauges always read high even when I lowered the pressure or I shut their valves off. Also the gauge that reads volume left in the tank would read that it was time to add gas. I bought a new one today and now I know how much CO2 is in my tank and the needles on the gauges actually move up or down when I decrease or increase gas.

Don't go cheap cause you'll spend money on the cheap stuff then spend more for a good one. It'll cost you more at the end of the day. Just fork out the few extra dollars to get a quality item.

Old 02-01-2013, 12:32 AM   #7
beaksnbeer
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 458 Times on 307 Posts
Likes Given: 60

The length of time you CO2 tank will last has many variables. How many kegs CO2 volume

image-74935442.jpg

image-120642914.jpg

Mine doesn't last a year about 8 months

Old 02-01-2013, 01:56 AM   #8
thargrav
Recipes 

Liked 38 Times on 35 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by deadpool76 View Post
Also a high pressure gauge can give you an indication of a slow leak.
Your high pressure gauge pressure won't start dropping until there is not any liquid left in the tank & it's only good for letting you know the tank needs filled. To catch a slow leak you need to weigh your CO2 tank on a digital scale at the end of the day & then before drawing another beer the next day, weigh it again. If the weight has dropped slightly then you have a slow leak.

Old 02-01-2013, 07:35 PM   #9
audger
Recipes 

Liked 36 Times on 36 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by libeerty View Post
A 20# tank should last you 1.5-2 years or so,
no- a 20# tank last YOU 1.5-2 years. it lasts me 3-8 months. or someone who brews less it might last them 5 years.

Quote:
Also the gauge that reads volume left in the tank would read that it was time to add gas. I bought a new one today and now I know how much CO2 is in my tank and the needles on the gauges actually move up or down when I decrease or increase gas.
you may think it does all those things, but in reality it doesnt/cant. when the high pressure gauge starts to fall, your tank is 99% empty. when it is anywhere between 0 and 99% empty, the high pressure gauge will read the exact same (it will fluctuate with temperature only; not by the amount of gas in the tank)

Old 02-02-2013, 02:11 PM   #10
justsome1
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by audger View Post
you may think it does all those things, but in reality it doesnt/cant. when the high pressure gauge starts to fall, your tank is 99% empty. when it is anywhere between 0 and 99% empty, the high pressure gauge will read the exact same (it will fluctuate with temperature only; not by the amount of gas in the tank)
Good to know that. The cheap regulator I first was using would give different readings. I'll keep an eye on the levels with my new regulator.

Quick Reply