New Giveaway - Wort Monster Conical Fermenter!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Bottling/Kegging > chalky bottles from ammonia

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-26-2012, 08:51 PM   #1
gmoetech911
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default chalky bottles from ammonia

so i was doinh a little bottle de-labeling and read that a little ammonia in the bath tub with the water would help the labels come off. no doubt that it helped a little but after i pulled them out i noticed them drying chalky... so i three them i the dishwasher in the hi-temp wash (no soap) as i always do but when they were done still chalky so i dunked in star-san..... still chalky was too nervous to bottle i sealed bottling bucket and popped in a airlock until i find resolution...

Any thoughts

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-26-2012, 10:34 PM   #2
day_trippr
Recipes 

Liked 808 Times on 672 Posts

I wonder if what you're looking at is dissolved label adhesive coating the bottles...

Cheers!

Old 10-27-2012, 12:59 AM   #3
B33R
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

I use oxyclean to delabel my bottles. Most labels come completely off without even having to touch them. I fill a homedepot bucket up with water add oxyclean and completely submerge my bottles. I'm usually not in a rush so i let them soak for 24 hours. I would make sure all your bottles are cleaned and sanitized before transferring to the bottling bucket next time. But thats just me.

Old 10-27-2012, 01:14 AM   #4
Effingbeer
Recipes 

Liked 23 Times on 18 Posts

If the stuff is on the inside, my resolution would be to buy some new bottles at the LHBS OR drink 50 more beers quick?

Did you already add priming sugar? If so I would find some bottles ASAP(less than a day) or wait until it ferments out and re-prime.

My secret is...wait for it...warm water. If they soak for even a couple hours they usually peel right off. To do them faster, I use warm water and one of those cheapo razor blade window scrapers. The blade gets right under there and peels them right off. If it starts to get slightly difficult I change the blade and its back to easy street.

But do you have the determination to drink 5 gallons of commercial beer one bottle at a time to get this batch bottled? I would hope so. You can do it.

Old 10-27-2012, 01:26 AM   #5
Faub007
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 1

+1 to star Oxyclean and hot water. I put hot tap water mixed with Oxyclean in my cooler and let it soda 2 hrs or so. Half of them are floating around in the cooler when I open it back up. The rest wipe off with my hand ora light wipe with a green pad.

Old 10-27-2012, 11:28 PM   #6
gmoetech911
Recipes 

i have used just warm water but most labels were still pretty stuburn and wont come off. i never primed with sugar so i just left it in the bottling bucket until i can get some new bottles or get these all cleaned up, mb an alkaline based cleanser will work but who knows

Old 10-28-2012, 04:59 AM   #7
Effingbeer
Recipes 

What kind of bottles? I have had problems with a couple kinds, especially the ones with the plastic type label. Most craft beers use glue that is water soluble.
I exclusively use PBW for cleaning and starsan for sanitizing. I know lots of people use other products, but m

Old 10-28-2012, 05:08 AM   #8
Effingbeer
Recipes 

What kind of bottles? I have had problems with a couple kinds, especially the ones with the plastic type label. Most craft beers use glue that is water soluble.
I exclusively use PBW for cleaning and starsan for sanitizing. I know lots of people use other products, but my feeling is that my goal is to use the best possible ingredients and put in hours of labor and effort, why try to save $2 a batch by using chemicals not DESIGNED for brewing beer?

Old 10-28-2012, 11:35 AM   #9
gmoetech911
Recipes 

yeah effingbeer i hear you thats what i was rhinking was PBW thats what i use for my keg couplers the only thing is my Local supply shop is not exactly down the street but it is what it is...

Old 10-28-2012, 11:37 AM   #10
gmoetech911
Recipes 

anyonr ever try PBW in the dishwasher ???? just a thought ....

Quick Reply