Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway - Enter Now!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Bottling/Kegging > Cask transportation and serving

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-20-2013, 02:04 PM   #1
GWSenese
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Default Cask transportation and serving

I have a cask kit from Northern Brewer and wanted to know how others handle transporting their casks. I know you are supposed to place the cask at it's serving location, keep it cool and vent for at least 24 hours, but what do you do when that isn't possible?

I would love to bring a cask to a football tailgate and that will require loading it in the car that morning and driving a few hours. The only time I've used to kit, I vented 2 days prior to serving, drove about 5 hours the night before with the cask in a cooler. Once we arrived a lot of C02 and beer had escaped through the soft spile and the next day when we tapped the cask was flat. It's possible I didn't give the beer enough time to carbonate but my concern is the vibrations from the car may have forced out all of the C02.

Would it be possible to not vent the cask until the morning of the game AFTER arriving? I know it will be over carbonated, but that is better than completely flat.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-26-2013, 03:23 PM   #3
GWSenese
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I feel like i may have been the only person who ever purchased this from Northern Brewer...

Old 07-12-2013, 04:00 PM   #4
remthewanderer
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

You are not alone. I have this cask too. You should have seen how many casks there were at the 2013 Homebrewer's conference! It was awesome.

I don't have an answer for you as I usually serve my casked beer at my home.

One hint I can give is to order extra bungs while placing an order with Northern Brewer. I have not seen them sold anywhere else.

Sincerely,
jeREMy
@JeremyBehrens on Twitter

------------
Hop Creek Brewing
@HopCreek on Twitter

Quick Reply