Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway - Last Chance to Enter!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Bottling/Kegging > cask ale set up

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-12-2009, 12:26 AM   #1
stillwater
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default cask ale set up

Would any of you who serve beer out of a soda keg with a hand pump and NO CO2 care to post pictures and descriptions of your set up, as well a satisfaction or disappointments with the results. Also recommended styles as well as styles that may not be appropriate. I've been bottling for several years now but would like to give cask conditioning a try, this group of experienced brewers seemed like a good place for advice.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-12-2009, 12:36 AM   #2
SeamusMac
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 2

I wasn't aware that a cornelius-type keg could be used with a hand pump; but I have a 50L sanke-type keg that I'm letting cask condition right now. Once I tap it and try 'er out I'll post a response.

Primary: Edwort's Apfelwein
Primary: Brewingcentres Pale Ale
Primary: Brewcraft - Cheap 'n' Shiddy Bavarian Wheat

Kegged: Brewcraft - Cheap 'n' Shiddy Bavarian Wheat
Kegged: Brewcraft - Enhanced Dutch Lager
On Tap: Brewcraft - Irish Stout

Old 07-12-2009, 02:51 AM   #3
david_42

Recipes 

Liked 135 Times on 128 Posts

I've seen a couple setups. All they did in each case, was put an OUT connector on the engine's suction. You let air in by pulling the relieve valve ring and rotating it 90 degrees so it stays open.

Remember one unassailable statistic, as explained by the late, great George Carlin: "Just think of how stupid the average person is, and then realize half of them are even stupider!"

"I would like to die on Mars, just not on impact." Elon Musk

Old 07-12-2009, 05:55 AM   #4
stillwater
Recipes 

That sounds simple enough, how does this sound; use standard disconnects on both ball locks and put the pump on the out (beer) valve and an inline hepa filter on the in (air) valve in order to keep the air entering the corny clean or would i need to install a one way valve on the air intake in order to keep the beer carbonated? I could finish five gallons in a week but a month sounds better, responsibilities being what they are.
thanks
pat

Old 07-12-2009, 11:02 AM   #5
bendavanza
Recipes 

Liked 15 Times on 15 Posts
Likes Given: 2

In a month your beer would probably be oxidized and taste like crap. "real ale" is supposed to be served fresh and would be consumed rather quickly.

Old 07-12-2009, 12:46 PM   #6
silverbrewer
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I spent a while messing about collecting co2 from fermentations in "expandable containers" and then connecting them to the beer, so serving sucked in co2 instead of air. Things like kids beach balls provide your saved co2 with no pressure, while large rubber balloons provide a tiny pressure. It worked fine, but looked pants. I ended up with what we call "polypins" as co2 collectors and that gave me 25 litre inflatable/deflatable containers, self contained in cardboard boxes. Those massive weather ballons always looked "usesable" during my mader moments, but I could never get hold of one.

Is there any reason why you could not connect a normal co2 tank via a demand valve like scuba divers use? Then you would get co2 supplied at minimal pressures as and when it is required? Just a thought.

Has anyone got actual pressure figures for casks in cellars in the average pub? What are they allowed to self pressurize up too when the hard spile is fitted between serving sessions and also when they arrive from the brewery and are settling out. During serving sessions, the soft spile is fitted and so the pressure is zero and the idea is that the air enters the cask slowly and the air sits on top of the blanket of heavier co2 that is on the beers surface.

Blessed are the "cracked", for it is they who let in the light.

Old 07-12-2009, 01:00 PM   #7
david_42

Recipes 

Liked 135 Times on 128 Posts

REAL ale is served open to the air and oxidizes in a week or less. Not a good idea for a homebrewer, except at a party. One alternative is to keg in the 5L mini-kegs. It would be very simple to make a breather valve/siphon that would accommodate an engine. Cask-conditioning

OP - your idea would work. One of the 'cheats' is to use a 0.25 psi blanket valve to keep CO2 on the the beer without boosting the carbonation over 1 volume. You could also jumper a second keg's OUT to the IN of the beer keg. Fill the second keg with CO2 by purging, then let air pressure force the CO2 into the beer keg. This will give you more time, but it's still a cheat. REAL ale is allowed to oxidize.

Remember one unassailable statistic, as explained by the late, great George Carlin: "Just think of how stupid the average person is, and then realize half of them are even stupider!"

"I would like to die on Mars, just not on impact." Elon Musk

Old 07-12-2009, 01:44 PM   #8
flyangler18
Recipes 

Liked 28 Times on 28 Posts
Likes Given: 5

I'd say the most effective way to serve real ale is using the ubiquitious 5L Fass-Frisch kegs.

Old 07-12-2009, 01:46 PM   #9
silverbrewer
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I spent a while messing about collecting co2 from fermentations in "expandable containers" and then connecting them to the beer, so serving sucked in co2 instead of air. Things like kids beach balls provide your saved co2 with no pressure, while large rubber balloons provide a tiny pressure. It worked fine, but looked pants. I ended up with what we call "polypins" as co2 collectors and that gave me 25 litre inflatable/deflatable containers, self contained in cardboard boxes. Those massive weather ballons always looked "usesable" during my mader moments, but I could never get hold of one.

Is there any reason why you could not connect a normal co2 tank via a demand valve like scuba divers use? Then you would get co2 supplied at minimal pressures as and when it is required? Just a thought.

Has anyone got actual pressure figures for casks in cellars in the average pub? What are they allowed to self pressurize up too when the hard spile is fitted between serving sessions and also when they arrive from the brewery and are settling out. During serving sessions, the soft spile is fitted and so the pressure is zero and the idea is that the air enters the cask slowly and the air sits on top of the blanket of heavier co2 that is on the beers surface.

Blessed are the "cracked", for it is they who let in the light.

Old 07-12-2009, 01:47 PM   #10
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2756 Times on 1651 Posts
Likes Given: 3485

This is probably the info you are looking for,

http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f35/fell...-engine-10529/

Plenty of pics and discussion of various setups.

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Quick Reply