Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Last Sponsor Giveaway of the Year!

Come Enter the BrewDeals/FastFerment Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Bottling/Kegging > Carbonation Woes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-02-2013, 01:28 AM   #1
CoopersGoose
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Carbonation Woes

I just finished kegging a nice blonde ale on Sunday. Prior to kegging, the beer was crash cooled at 38F for a week, cleared really nicely, and tastes great, but is still flat. I force carbonated at 30 psi for 24 hours, then reduced pressure to 10-12 psi while maintains temperature at 38F. Tonight, Friday, I pulled a few pints for friend, and it was good, just still a little flat. I'm using a 10 ft 3/16" vinyl hose length on my tap, and would love to know if there is anything I can do to get this ready for Sunday's Superbowl. I've upped the pressure to 14psi, but is there anything else I can do?

Thanks
I

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-02-2013, 01:36 AM   #2
MalFet
/bɪər nərd/
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 1267 Times on 844 Posts
Likes Given: 583

If you set the pressure to balance out at your target carbonation level and then shake the bejeebus out of your keg, it will carb up in no time flat. Anything settled on the bottom will have to settle back out again, of course, and some claim the shaking undercuts head retention.

Otherwise, you can keep playing with the burst carbing, though hitting the sweet spot there is an art.

"Be excellent to each other." -Benjamin Franklin

Old 02-02-2013, 01:53 AM   #3
CoopersGoose
Recipes 

Thanks Malfet. I'm trying to be patient, but time sis not on my side, I'm going to let her sit overnight, shake the crap out of her tomorrow and check it again. Also going to elevate tap more to see if that helps dramatically.

Old 02-02-2013, 02:51 AM   #4
JuanMoore
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 3238 Times on 3139 Posts
Likes Given: 20

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoopersGoose View Post
Also going to elevate tap more to see if that helps dramatically.
Tap location has no bearing on carbonation.

Yuri rubs it out with 60 grit... wouldn't even feel a tenga egg. -Randar

, place entry ox dixla to suck. Fcxk fwnpoo and passed. Hel an my spupid ass. OK. - TXCrash

Old 02-02-2013, 03:05 AM   #5
CoopersGoose
Recipes 

Has relativity to backflow resistance in line. Noticed I had a decent amount of foam, but beer was a bit flat. Figure I need to raise height of tap to increase resistance a little to reduce flow and therefore foam generation some. Even at 10 psi, pour was a little fast. That's why I mentioned tap height.

Old 02-02-2013, 03:24 AM   #6
JuanMoore
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Quote:
Has relativity to backflow resistance in line. Noticed I had a decent amount of foam, but beer was a bit flat. Figure I need to raise height of tap to increase resistance a little to reduce flow and therefore foam generation some. Even at 10 psi, pour was a little fast. That's why I mentioned tap height.
I see. Well, until you get the line balanced and a decent pour, you don't really know how well it's carbonated. It might be counter intuitive, but overcarbonated beer usually tastes flat because most of the CO2 is lost during the foamy pour. You might have perfectly carbonated beer, but it just tastes flat because of the line balancing issue.

, place entry ox dixla to suck. Fcxk fwnpoo and passed. Hel an my spupid ass. OK. - TXCrash

Old 02-02-2013, 05:37 PM   #7
CoopersGoose
Recipes 

I don't get a whole glass of foam, just a quick poor and 2-3 inches of head. Beer has very little beads effervescing out of it. Don't believe it's overcarbonated, but then again, I've been wrong before. 10 ft line should provide enough backpressure at 10-12 psi to get a nice pour based on what I've researched. Figure if there is a leak somewhere, I'd notice on my gage, but if it's at the dip tube would that have an impact? Going to re-lube my o-rings and give it another shot.

Old 02-02-2013, 06:52 PM   #8
JuanMoore
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Quote:
I don't get a whole glass of foam, just a quick poor and 2-3 inches of head. Beer has very little beads effervescing out of it. Don't believe it's overcarbonated, but then again, I've been wrong before. 10 ft line should provide enough backpressure at 10-12 psi to get a nice pour based on what I've researched. Figure if there is a leak somewhere, I'd notice on my gage, but if it's at the dip tube would that have an impact? Going to re-lube my o-rings and give it another shot.
I'm not saying it's overcarbed, just saying that you can't really know what the carb level is if you're losing enough carbonation during the pour to create 2-3" of foam.

You wouldn't notice a gas leak by looking at your gauge until your CO2 tank was nearly empty. The high pressure gauge doesn't tell you how much gas is in the tank, it just tells you the pressure in the tank, which at a constant temperature will be the exact same until all of the liquid CO2 is gone, and all that's left is a little CO2 vapor.

While not common, the foam could be caused by a bad liquid side diptube o-ring. If it's cracked or not sealing properly it could be leaking a tiny bit of gas from the headspace into the beer line. So checking and lubing the o-rings is a good idea.

Old 02-03-2013, 03:48 AM   #9
CoopersGoose
Recipes 

Poured a glass this evening and can notice more carbonation. I'm going to see if I can find another source of tubing and add another 5 ft, or drop pressure to 7-8 psi and see if that helps. Might just be too impatient, but it's been on the gas now for almost a week. I think the line balancing thing is where I'll focus my efforts tomorrow. Hopefully that will help. If I had another week, I'd just let her sit and see where it settles after 2 weeks, but I don't have the time. Thanks for your help. I'll let you know how it turns out.

Old 02-10-2013, 12:55 AM   #10
CoopersGoose
Recipes 

Two weeks in the keg at 12 psi. Carbonation is just where I want it. Still have some line balancing to do. Have to reduce pressure to about 8 lbs to get a 10 second pour on 15 ft 3/16" line. It's close enough for now. I appreciate everyone's help. Here's a pic.

image-161706034.jpg

Quick Reply