Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Bottling/Kegging > Carbonation time with sugar in a keg

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-25-2012, 01:13 PM   #11
HaveADrinkOnMe
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 4

and the amount of sugar we used was 5 oz of corn sugar

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-25-2012, 01:38 PM   #12
masonsjax
Professional Amateur
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 300 Times on 217 Posts
Likes Given: 294

Quote:
Originally Posted by HaveADrinkOnMe View Post
we kegged a cream ale with priming sugar this time around because the last batch of Kolsch we CO2 carbonated was a little flat to the taste even after the giant head of foam went down after pouring it in a glass, now this might have had to do with me not replacing the o rings on the used keg system I bought, which were replaced for this cream ale batch, and also because I didn't let the keg sit long enough at the proper CO2 level
Giant head of foam and flat beer afterwards is usually a sure sign of overcarbonation. If you've ruled that out, look for kinked serving lines, or places where rapid temp change could occur before pouring like warm serving lines.

I aim to misbehave.

Old 10-25-2012, 05:30 PM   #13
mmcouch
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by HaveADrinkOnMe View Post
we kegged a cream ale with priming sugar this time around because the last batch of Kolsch we CO2 carbonated was a little flat to the taste even after the giant head of foam went down after pouring it in a glass, now this might have had to do with me not replacing the o rings on the used keg system I bought, which were replaced for this cream ale batch, and also because I didn't let the keg sit long enough at the proper CO2 level
How'd it turn out? Or still carbing?

Old 10-26-2012, 01:13 PM   #14
HaveADrinkOnMe
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmcouch View Post
How'd it turn out? Or still carbing?
Our kegged cream ale still has until next weekend before it should be ready, I will post the results after a tasting. This also was an experiment for us to see if CO2 carbing or sugar tastes different and if so which one tastes better.

Old 10-26-2012, 01:29 PM   #15
TopherM
Vinz Clortho - the Keymaster of Gozer the Gozerian
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 409 Times on 324 Posts
Likes Given: 21

CO2 is CO2. If you do it right, they should taste the same!

Primary #1 - Oktoberfest
Primary #2 - Chamomile Honey Wheat
Primary #3 - EMPTY!
Secondary #1 - Downtown Flanders Brown (brewed August 2012)
Keg #1 - Coffee Vanilla Stout
Keg #2 - Fall of the Ukraine Baltic Porter (lagering in keg)
Keg #3 - EMPTY!
Bottled - NONE!

Old 10-29-2012, 05:03 PM   #16
HaveADrinkOnMe
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts

I think this time around also I will leave the dispensing tubing in the fridge with the keg so that there is no temperature change for the beer once it hits the lines when dispensing. I think the warm lines mixing with the cold beer might have had something to do with our bad CO2 experience the last time also.

Old 11-12-2012, 01:16 PM   #17
HaveADrinkOnMe
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts

Well our cream ale turned out very nice actually. Despite having somewhat of a Hefeweizen flavor at the beginning it finishes with a crisp ale taste. I was surprised at how well it turned out because we kegged the 5 gallons and carbonated it using 5 oz of priming sugar, which is the same amount used when bottling, and I had read on some posts and threads on here that you aren't supposed to use the same amount of priming sugar that you use when kegging. Turns out that it is just fine, plus this time around we replaced the o ring set and used some keg lube which without a doubt added to the success of this batch. I also successfully bottled a number of bottles and growlers just using the bottling cane attached to the dispensing faucet, pretty much fits exactly but I did notice that it was helpful to not even start dispensing until you had the cane inserted in the faucet and then had the cane all the way down in the bottom of the bottle/growler allowing it to be open before you flip the faucet on to pour, other wise you will shoot the bottling cane out of the faucet insert thus causing spillage and stickiness.

Quick Reply