Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Bottling/Kegging > Carbonation time with sugar in a keg

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-13-2012, 05:13 AM   #1
HaveADrinkOnMe
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Default Carbonation time with sugar in a keg

I was wondering if a week of sitting in a keg at room temperature, would the batch be carbonated and ready or would it be 2 weeks?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-13-2012, 05:44 AM   #2
hbrew85
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by HaveADrinkOnMe View Post
I was wondering if a week of sitting in a keg at room temperature, would the batch be carbonated and ready or would it be 2 weeks?
I tried one week before and it was flat but 2 weeks or even 12 days did the trick. Cheers

Old 10-23-2012, 02:31 AM   #3
mmcouch
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I have a dark holiday ale that I want to half-bottle and half keg (I want to bring about half the batch to the family holiday party out of town). I want to prime the whole 5 gallons bottle half then transfer the rest to the keg to naturally carb. The common theme around here is to add only half the normal amount of priming sugar when naturally carbing, but I figured priming with the normal amount to allow me to bottle would be okay since there will be a lot more head space in the keg. Will this over carb the batch? If I naturally carb, do I let sit at room temp for two weeks, chill, vent, and then put on serving pressure?

Old 10-23-2012, 07:28 PM   #4
TopherM
Vinz Clortho - the Keymaster of Gozer the Gozerian
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Brew Setups
Recipes 

Liked 428 Times on 338 Posts
Likes Given: 22

It's on the same timeframe as naturally carbonating in a bottle, you are just carbonating in one large bottle.

More ABV = longer time.

A typical 1.04-1.05 OG, 5-6% ABV beer will take 2-3 weeks at 70F to naturally carb. It goes up exponentially from there depending on ABV.

Primary #1 - Midnight Ryeder (Midnight Wheat and Rye)
Primary #2 - Mango Habenero Berliner Weisse
Primary #3 - EMPTY!
Secondary #1 - Downtown Flanders Brown (brewed August 2012)
Keg #1 - Oktoberfest
Keg #2 - Chamomile Honey Wheat
Keg #3 - Pumpkin Ale
Bottled - NONE!

Old 10-23-2012, 07:31 PM   #5
Golddiggie
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 480 Times on 421 Posts
Likes Given: 266

Keep in mind, you use LESS priming sugar when you put it into a keg to carbonate. The better carbonation calc sites have selections for using kegs, instead of bottles.

跟猴子比丟屎 ・ Gun HOE-tze bee DIO-se

On Tap: Caramel Ale, Mocha Porter II, MO SMaSH IPA
Waiting/Carbonating: 12.5% Wee Honey II, 8.9% Old Ale, English Brown Ale, Lickah ESB, Mocha Porter II
Fermenting
K1:
K2: Epic mead
K3: TripSix
On Deck: Caramel Ale
Aging:mead
Mead [bottled]:Oaked Wildflower Traditional, Mocha Madness, Blackberry Melomel, maple wine

Old 10-23-2012, 09:05 PM   #6
mmcouch
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Golddiggie
Keep in mind, you use LESS priming sugar when you put it into a keg to carbonate. The better carbonation calc sites have selections for using kegs, instead of bottles.
Right. But if I'm carbing only a half batch in the keg (other half in bottles) wouldn't it make sense that I would use more primer in the entire batch?

I'll check the carbing calculators, but wanted to see what folks here thought.

Old 10-24-2012, 01:50 AM   #7
Golddiggie
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmcouch View Post
Right. But if I'm carbing only a half batch in the keg (other half in bottles) wouldn't it make sense that I would use more primer in the entire batch?

I'll check the carbing calculators, but wanted to see what folks here thought.
IMO, no. If you're really set on going this route, then figure out how much to use for each part. Fill the keg first, add the priming solution to it, then the sugar the bottled section will need to properly carbonate. Otherwise either the keg will be over carbonated, or the bottles will be under carbonated.

Waiting/Carbonating: 12.5% Wee Honey II, 8.9% Old Ale, English Brown Ale, Lickah ESB, Mocha Porter II
Fermenting
K1:
Mead [bottled]:Oaked Wildflower Traditional, Mocha Madness, Blackberry Melomel, maple wine

Old 10-24-2012, 03:55 PM   #8
HaveADrinkOnMe
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Golddiggie View Post
Unfortunately I didn't realize or research enough the proper amount of priming sugar to use when keg carbonating so we ended up using the same amount as we would for bottles. Does this mean I need to purge the keg at all, or what are the drawbacks to using the same amount for bottles? Also where can I find a carbonation calc site, is there one on hbt forums or a link?

Old 10-24-2012, 04:16 PM   #9
Golddiggie
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by HaveADrinkOnMe View Post
Unfortunately I didn't realize or research enough the proper amount of priming sugar to use when keg carbonating so we ended up using the same amount as we would for bottles. Does this mean I need to purge the keg at all, or what are the drawbacks to using the same amount for bottles? Also where can I find a carbonation calc site, is there one on hbt forums or a link?
Without knowing what you kegged this way and how much sugar you used, it's impossible to say with certainty. BUT, I would wager that it will be at least somewhat over carbonated. So, once it's chilled, you'll need to pour a pint, or two, and see. If it is over carbonated, you'll need to purge it 2-3 times a day for 2-3 days to get release the excess pressure. Then put it back onto the CO2 feed at the correct pressure (for the temperature) to get the carbonation level correct. IMO, you're better off just carbonating with CO2.

Fermenting
K1:

Old 10-25-2012, 02:11 PM   #10
HaveADrinkOnMe
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts

we kegged a cream ale with priming sugar this time around because the last batch of Kolsch we CO2 carbonated was a little flat to the taste even after the giant head of foam went down after pouring it in a glass, now this might have had to do with me not replacing the o rings on the used keg system I bought, which were replaced for this cream ale batch, and also because I didn't let the keg sit long enough at the proper CO2 level

Quick Reply