Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Bottling/Kegging > Carbonation problem

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-30-2012, 03:58 PM   #1
Moody_Copperpot
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Default Carbonation problem

I've had an imperial IPA (9.6%abv) in bottles for two weeks now. They've been in my closet, which has a A/C duct running through it's walls, so it was a lot cooler in there than I thought. I used 4.2 oz corn sugar for the just over 5 gallons that I had (between 5-5.25). I cracked on yesterday and it has zero carbonation. I am at a loss. I moved the beer to a warmer spot so hopefully that helps. Anyone had this issue?

There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body. Now you stick to that, and everything else is cream cheese.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-30-2012, 04:31 PM   #2
TopherM
Vinz Clortho - the Keymaster of Gozer the Gozerian
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 385 Times on 304 Posts
Likes Given: 20

Higher ABV takes proportionally more time to carb. I would expect a 9.6% ABV beer to take a good 6-8 weeks at 70F to fully carb. If your closet is cooler than 70F, it will take even longer.

Yeast just work more slowly in higher ABV environments. You shouldn't expect this one to have any carb after two weeks.

Patience!!

Primary #1 - Oktoberfest
Primary #2 - Chamomile Honey Wheat
Primary #3 - EMPTY!
Secondary #1 - Downtown Flanders Brown (brewed August 2012)
Keg #1 - Coffee Vanilla Stout
Keg #2 - Fall of the Ukraine Baltic Porter (lagering in keg)
Keg #3 - EMPTY!
Bottled - NONE!

Old 07-30-2012, 04:49 PM   #3
Moody_Copperpot
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Thanks for the input! I always keg, and when I do bottle, it's always a lower abv beer. It's probably near 80f where I moved it. Is that too warm?
I've been brewing for three years, you'd think I'd know this stuff! I literally almost never bottle though.

There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body. Now you stick to that, and everything else is cream cheese.

Old 07-30-2012, 05:01 PM   #4
caioz1jp
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 3 Posts

Most yeast are fine all the way to 98.6F. Yes that is body temp and most biological process occur at their optimum rate at that temp. in the summer i would place bottles for two weeks in my computer room, warmest room, then move them to the basement. the warmer room makes the CO2 while the colder room helps it dissolve into solution. Also i made it a personal rule to wait atleast 12 hours in the fridge before testing.

Old 07-30-2012, 05:15 PM   #5
Moody_Copperpot
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Thanks for the advice, much appreciated!

Quick Reply