Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Bottling/Kegging > Carbonation issue...

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-24-2010, 01:40 AM   #1
robpez
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Carbonation issue...

My second batch is just finishing bottle conditioning, and I have inconsistent carbonation throughout. Some come out perfect while others are flat. I am using Grolsh type bottles; if I open with no "pop", will more conditioning generate carbonation or am I just gonna be drinking flat beer? I am racking to a bottling bucket with priming sugar before bottling; this time I i added the priming mixture before racking from primary. Any tips or ideas? Thanks!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-24-2010, 02:31 AM   #2
Buffman
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

You sound EXACTLY like me months ago. I bottle in EZ Cap swing-top bottles and was having the same problem, except all mine were flat. I tried re-priming, then changing the seals. In the end, it turned out to be the bell (the two wires holding the cap down). It was not holding the tops tight enough. It should be a little work to cap them, and mine had gotten too easy. Here's your fix (probably): take two pairs of pliers and bend each side of the bell a little, just enough to make it harder to close. It totally fixed my carbonation problem. Also, if your seals have been through several batches, change them out.

Old 07-24-2010, 04:31 AM   #3
JuanMoore
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 3217 Times on 3120 Posts
Likes Given: 18

Sounds like either the bells aren't tight enough as Buffman mentioned, or some of the rubber seals need to be replaced. Get some replacement seals either way, as they should be replaced periodically anyways.

Quick Reply