Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway - Enter Now!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Bottling/Kegging > Carbonation, easy method.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-12-2012, 07:42 PM   #1
NorsemenRugby58
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Carbonation, easy method.

I see a lot of threads with charts and discussions of equilibrium, hose length, purging, shaking, etc. I've had my trials and tribulations with all of these. While the "set it and forget it" method does work, I picked up a new method from a brew shop a few years back that I would like to share.

**Note: This does not produce an EXACT CO2 volume, it gets things to a range where you try it, and if you like it you stop**

Step 1: Put your fridge between 35-40 degrees Fahrenheit
Step 2: Set your psi between 35-40
Step 3: Leave CO2 on keg for 36-48 hours

Time for drinking.

Steps for a good pour

Step 1: Shut off CO2 to the keg and blow all the headspace (it is currently way to high to pour at 35-40psi)
Step 2: Turn your CO2 back on and set your regulator at 2-5 psi, I set mine at 2.
Step 3: Fill the head space (leave CO2 on until you stop hearing the sound of it going into the keg)
Step 4: Turn the CO2 off, pour, enjoy.

There WILL be a bit of foam (up to a glass) but the beer will flow great, and will be well carbed. You can even bottle it using counter pressure fillers or blichmann beer guns. When your pouring pressure dies down and the beer comes out real slow, just flip your switch on you regulator and reload the head space (similar to pumping the tap on a keg at a party) and then turn it back off and enjoy.

I have used this method for 2 years now and it has never failed me. No over carbonation issues, no shaking, and takes very little time.

Hope this helps people.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-12-2012, 07:50 PM   #2
Brewnoob1
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 23 Times on 23 Posts
Likes Given: 8

This will be argued back and forth forever most likely with the "best" method. I say..whatever works for you, then GO FOR IT!

Me personally, 30psi for 24hrs has produced over carbonated beer...so I do 30 for 12hrs and then drop it to the proper level of co2 I want that will work for serving. Lowering to below the volume levels on the chart will eventually lead to under carbed beer as your beer will want to reach equilibrium. So, if you go too long with only 2psi, it will become less and less carbonated over time. All depends how long a keg will last you.

For me, I too do not leave my gas on my kegs. Though with that said, every time my serving pressure seems to get low, I hit with whatever psi i used to carb/serve. For example, if I have my keezer set at 40 and the psi calls for 12 for proper carbonation, I'll hit it with 12psi until I no longer have gas entering the keg.

This works for me, but as I said earlier, do whatever works for you because once you dial in your own process, that works the best for me regardless how epic someone else's process works.

Keg #1: Empty :(
Keg #2: Empty :(
Kegs 3-5: Empty :(

Ferment #1: Empty :(
Ferment #2: Empty :(
Ferment #3: Empty :(

On Deck: Something....Anything!!!

Old 01-12-2012, 09:38 PM   #3
day_trippr
Recipes 

Liked 1166 Times on 946 Posts

That's not easy. This is easy: set chiller to 34°F, set CO2 to 12 psi, connect gas lines, let sit for two weeks. Et voila!

Cheers!

Old 01-12-2012, 10:10 PM   #4
stompbox
Served up in the backyard
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 22 Times on 12 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by day_trippr View Post
That's not easy. This is easy: set chiller to 34°F, set CO2 to 12 psi, connect gas lines, let sit for two weeks. Et voila!

Cheers!
This.

Old 01-12-2012, 10:52 PM   #5
NorsemenRugby58
Recipes 

True but then I might as well use dextrose at room temp. So as you sit waiting for your beer, I'm already done mine and on to the next one! Boom! Roasted. =D. Nah that method is great too

Old 01-13-2012, 02:34 AM   #6
day_trippr
Recipes 

Liked 1166 Times on 946 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorsemenRugby58 View Post
True but then I might as well use dextrose at room temp. So as you sit waiting for your beer, I'm already done mine and on to the next one! Boom! Roasted. =D. Nah that method is great too
"Roasted"?

You must be new here.

While you're screwing around with your green overcarbed beer, all six faucets on my keezer are serving nicely aged and perfectly carbonated brew - while the kegs one stage back in the pipeline are carbonating in one of my beer fridges.

Try to keep up...

Cheers!

Old 01-13-2012, 03:50 AM   #7
Bobby_M
Vendor and Brewer
HBT_SPONSOR.png
Vendor Ads 
Feedback Score: 2 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 950 Times on 633 Posts
Likes Given: 28

Pouring at 0 psi. I wonder why you get a full glass of foam ( sarcasm) but I do wonder why you are fine with that.

Sightglass, Refractometer, Ball Valve, Weldless bulkhead, Thermometer, Decals, Stainless Steel Fittings, Compression Fittings, Camlock Quick Disconnects, Scale, RIMS tube, Plate Chiller, Chugger Pump, Super Clear Silicone Tubing, and more!

New Stuff?

Old 01-13-2012, 01:19 PM   #8
Brewnoob1
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 23 Times on 23 Posts
Likes Given: 8

I have found with the set and forget method, that I been fine for a few weeks, and then for some reason a leak develops and I find my co2 tank empty. I've become anal about it now. I check...recheck...and then recheck again....ALL THE TIME. It's just more comfortable for me to now force carb high...set at serving..then take it off the gas. Adjust gas as needed for comfortable co2. Once there, charge kegs everyday with 12psi or whatever carb level is. When gas stops entering keg, turn everything off.

Adds a bit more work, but this is my hobby. I enjoy tinkering anything related with my beer or the equipment to serve it in

Keg #1: Empty :(
Keg #2: Empty :(
Kegs 3-5: Empty :(

Ferment #1: Empty :(
Ferment #2: Empty :(
Ferment #3: Empty :(

On Deck: Something....Anything!!!

Old 01-13-2012, 01:37 PM   #9
TRG
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 1

noob1, I seem to have the same affliction as you do. Set and forget was my preferred way, but seem to be plagued by the odd phantom leak here and there. Very frustrating! So now my valves remain off when I'm not serving...

Old 01-13-2012, 01:40 PM   #10
Seven
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 127 Times on 65 Posts
Likes Given: 91

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brewnoob1 View Post
I have found with the set and forget method, that I been fine for a few weeks, and then for some reason a leak develops and I find my co2 tank empty. I've become anal about it now. I check...recheck...and then recheck again....ALL THE TIME. It's just more comfortable for me to now force carb high...set at serving..then take it off the gas. Adjust gas as needed for comfortable co2. Once there, charge kegs everyday with 12psi or whatever carb level is. When gas stops entering keg, turn everything off.

Adds a bit more work, but this is my hobby. I enjoy tinkering anything related with my beer or the equipment to serve it in
Quote:
Originally Posted by TRG View Post
noob1, I seem to have the same affliction as you do. Set and forget was my preferred way, but seem to be plagued by the odd phantom leak here and there. Very frustrating! So now my valves remain off when I'm not serving...
Instead of messing around with the gas, serving pressure, etc., etc., the best long term solution would be to pinpoint the leak and eliminate it.

Quick Reply