Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway!


Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Bottling/Kegging > Carbonation
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-26-2005, 04:19 PM   #1
Simon Morris
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Posts: 20
Default Carbonation

With co2 forced carbonations do i still need to add the priming sugar?

What are the basic steps to complete this process? Thanks for your help.

__________________
Simon Morris is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-26-2005, 04:28 PM   #2
Dude
Will work for beer
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Dude's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Knob Noster, Missouri
Posts: 8,843
Liked 55 Times on 45 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simon Morris
With co2 forced carbonations do i still need to add the priming sugar?

What are the basic steps to complete this process? Thanks for your help.

NO! With a forced carb you do not need to add priming sugar.

Methods vary, depending on how fast you want to drink your prize. I prefer this method:
1. Chill keg.
2. Crank up CO2 to 30 psi and let the keg sit for 2 days.

You can also just set the pressure at 10 psi or so and let it sit for a week. That usually gives it enought time to absorb the CO2. I find this method is a little bit more "miss" than "hit" though.
__________________
On Tap: Lake Walk Pale Ale -- Eternity (Raspberry Stout) -- Nutrocker -- Donnybrook Dark
Primary: Lake Walk Pale Ale
Secondary: Summit IPA
Up Next: Smoked Porter -- Pub Ale -- Watermelon Wheat
Planning:
Gone But Not Forgotten:

www.IronOrrBrewery.com
Dude is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-26-2005, 04:34 PM   #3
Simon Morris
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Posts: 20
Default

do you leave the co2 conected at 30psi or just get the pressure up to 30?

__________________
Simon Morris is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-26-2005, 05:59 PM   #4
Dude
Will work for beer
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Dude's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Knob Noster, Missouri
Posts: 8,843
Liked 55 Times on 45 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simon Morris
do you leave the co2 conected at 30psi or just get the pressure up to 30?

Leave it connected at 30 psi for 48 hours, then bleed the pressure, and run it at 6-12 psi for serving pressure. If you find you have too much carbonation, you can bleed off the pressure every few hours (while disconnected) and it will even out.
__________________
On Tap: Lake Walk Pale Ale -- Eternity (Raspberry Stout) -- Nutrocker -- Donnybrook Dark
Primary: Lake Walk Pale Ale
Secondary: Summit IPA
Up Next: Smoked Porter -- Pub Ale -- Watermelon Wheat
Planning:
Gone But Not Forgotten:

www.IronOrrBrewery.com
Dude is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-27-2005, 01:03 AM   #5
bikebryan
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Alexandria, VA
Posts: 556
Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ORRELSE
NO! With a forced carb you do not need to add priming sugar.

Methods vary, depending on how fast you want to drink your prize. I prefer this method:
1. Chill keg.
2. Crank up CO2 to 30 psi and let the keg sit for 2 days.

You can also just set the pressure at 10 psi or so and let it sit for a week. That usually gives it enought time to absorb the CO2. I find this method is a little bit more "miss" than "hit" though.
Using the method you dislike - carbonating/serving at the desired pressure - will ALWAYS be hit and NEVER miss. The tables don't lie. If the carbonation level isn't what you want, you misjudged how much carbonation you wanted in the first place!
__________________
bikebryan is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-27-2005, 01:13 AM   #6
AlaskaAl(e)
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
AlaskaAl(e)'s Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Bakersfield, CA
Posts: 178
Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Default

Anyone ever use one of those "carbonating stones"? Does that go more toward the crank and go method or the slow and low technique?

__________________
AlaskaAl(e) is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-27-2005, 02:11 AM   #7
Dude
Will work for beer
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Dude's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Knob Noster, Missouri
Posts: 8,843
Liked 55 Times on 45 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by bikebryan
Using the method you dislike - carbonating/serving at the desired pressure - will ALWAYS be hit and NEVER miss. The tables don't lie. If the carbonation level isn't what you want, you misjudged how much carbonation you wanted in the first place!

What I meant was, using that method I'm never sure how long its going to take. With the 30 psi for 2 days method, I know I'll have carbonated beer, and its gonna be real close to what I want. The other method has me waiting a week or more and sometimes it isn't ready when I need it to be.

Correct me if I'm wrong--but you are talking "balancing", which is a whole different ball of wax and isn't what I was suggesting to do in my post. It was a general how to carbonate question.
__________________
On Tap: Lake Walk Pale Ale -- Eternity (Raspberry Stout) -- Nutrocker -- Donnybrook Dark
Primary: Lake Walk Pale Ale
Secondary: Summit IPA
Up Next: Smoked Porter -- Pub Ale -- Watermelon Wheat
Planning:
Gone But Not Forgotten:

www.IronOrrBrewery.com
Dude is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-27-2005, 02:40 PM   #8
bikebryan
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Alexandria, VA
Posts: 556
Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlaskaAl(e)
Anyone ever use one of those "carbonating stones"? Does that go more toward the crank and go method or the slow and low technique?
A carbonation stone can be used with the "set it and forget it" method, but it does greatly reduce the amount of time needed for the beer to carbonate. Using one of these stones is much more preferable than cranking up the pressure, shaking the heck out of the keg, then dialing it down and trying to guess where you are in the carbonation level.
__________________
bikebryan is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-27-2005, 02:43 PM   #9
bikebryan
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Alexandria, VA
Posts: 556
Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ORRELSE
What I meant was, using that method I'm never sure how long its going to take. With the 30 psi for 2 days method, I know I'll have carbonated beer, and its gonna be real close to what I want. The other method has me waiting a week or more and sometimes it isn't ready when I need it to be.

Correct me if I'm wrong--but you are talking "balancing", which is a whole different ball of wax and isn't what I was suggesting to do in my post. It was a general how to carbonate question.
The problem is that you almost always will either be over- or under-carbonated using the high pressure/shake method; usually the results are very over-carbonated glasses of foam.

Yes, I admit that if you use the one pressure method, you have to wait up to a week (and I've never had to wait more than five days, by the way), but since beer is better as it ages this isn't a bad thing.

Oh, and no, this has nothing to do with balancing the pressure in the keg to the pressure in the serving lines.
__________________
bikebryan is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-27-2005, 03:35 PM   #10
Janx
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Janx's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: San Francisco Bay Area
Posts: 1,688
Liked 14 Times on 10 Posts

Default

You can set the pressure at 12 PSI or whatever the tables say *and* shake if you want to speed things up a bit. It'll help the CO2 absorb more quickly without the guesswork of the 30 PSI method.

__________________
Oh don't give me none more of that Old Janx Spirit
No, don't you give me none more of that Old Janx Spirit
For my head will fly, my tongue will lie, my eyes will fry and I may die
Won't you pour me one more of that sinful Old Janx Spirit
Janx is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Reply



Quick Reply
Message:
Options
Thread Tools


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Just ordered a carbonation stone. Carbonation in 20 minutes??? Any good? Mike-H General Techniques 26 10-15-2013 01:26 AM
Too much carbonation zacster Beginners Beer Brewing Forum 8 05-23-2008 02:28 AM
12 out of 55 have no carbonation. HELP dexter_craig Bottling/Kegging 5 02-14-2008 03:19 PM
low carbonation... bobwantbeer Bottling/Kegging 4 02-05-2008 04:28 PM
Too much carbonation icu812 Bottling/Kegging 2 01-22-2008 01:52 PM